Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 192

Thread: Texas Inmates Likely to Be Exonerated After Committee Discovers Wrongful Convictions

  1. #51
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: Texas Inmates Likely to Be Exonerated After Committee Discovers Wrongful Convicti

    T.E.D., I must respectfully disagree with you on the DP. The standard of Proof for the DP is higher, and has been raised repeatedly for such crimes. It's VERY VERY hard these days to even arrest the wrong person for such a crime. Let alone convict them. Most of the "taken off Death Row" folks you hear about are because the defense finds a way to cast JUST enough doubt to get them life instead.

    The better our science gets, the less and less likely someone innocent might even be arrested for such. Yeah, sometime, maybe... the guy standing NEXT to shooter might fry. BOO HOO. If you're stupid enough to be that intimately involved in a murder... too freaking bad man.
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  2. #52
    Sage
    ric27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    06-15-17 @ 02:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,539

    Re: Texas Inmates Likely to Be Exonerated After Committee Discovers Wrongful Convicti

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    Read Ephesian 6:2. The Bible does not state that government is the highest power and is infallible. It tells us to respect the laws, but that they aren't always the moral decision and at times we must fight against them. So, do you interpret that passage to mean that the government could decide to kill all Christians and God gives his stamp of approval on it because He gives them the right to decide right and wrong?
    Back on topic....

    My understanding... If, the DA's office does not seek it no one else gets a say so. The victims family typically is included in these discussions, but ultimately the DA decides. Once the DA decides to go for it the other steps are the same. Juries have to be unanimous on all things....UNANIMOUS JURY gives the death verdict. Prosecutors seek it, juries vote on it and the judge applies it.

  3. #53
    Sage
    Lord Tammerlain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:42 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    10,432

    Re: Texas Inmates Likely to Be Exonerated After Committee Discovers Wrongful Convicti

    No justice system is perfect, as such you need to be able to compensate the people who are wrongly convicted. The death penalty does not allow for the mistakes to be corrected, as it a rather permanent solution. Life in prison without possibility of parole serves the same overall purpose of keeping dangerous offenders away from the public, while allowing for a wrongfull conviction to be changed and the person wrongfully convicted to be set free and compensated for his suffering
    Happy Hanukkah Cheerfull Kwanzaa
    Happy Christmas Merry New Year Festivus for the rest of us

  4. #54
    Advisor Rightwingnutjob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    09-05-10 @ 04:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    420

    Re: Texas Inmates Likely to Be Exonerated After Committee Discovers Wrongful Convicti

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Tammerlain View Post
    No justice system is perfect, as such you need to be able to compensate the people who are wrongly convicted. The death penalty does not allow for the mistakes to be corrected, as it a rather permanent solution. Life in prison without possibility of parole serves the same overall purpose of keeping dangerous offenders away from the public, while allowing for a wrongfull conviction to be changed and the person wrongfully convicted to be set free and compensated for his suffering
    Except they enjoy free meals, housing and a gym on the tax payers dime.

  5. #55
    Shankmasta Killa
    TacticalEvilDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NY and Geneva, CH
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,444

    Re: Texas Inmates Likely to Be Exonerated After Committee Discovers Wrongful Convicti

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    T.E.D., I must respectfully disagree with you on the DP. The standard of Proof for the DP is higher, and has been raised repeatedly for such crimes. It's VERY VERY hard these days to even arrest the wrong person for such a crime. Let alone convict them. Most of the "taken off Death Row" folks you hear about are because the defense finds a way to cast JUST enough doubt to get them life instead.
    The Innocence Project has freed enough wrongfully convicted men to convince me that we're not sharp enough to make capital punishment worth the risk.

    Given how many have been freed, it makes me wonder how many who are still on death row who are innocent and simply can't prove it.
    Last edited by TacticalEvilDan; 08-01-10 at 02:09 PM.
    I'm already gearing up for Finger Vote 2014.

    Just for reference, means my post was a giant steaming pile of sarcasm.

  6. #56
    Sage
    ric27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    06-15-17 @ 02:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,539

    Re: Texas Inmates Likely to Be Exonerated After Committee Discovers Wrongful Convicti

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Tammerlain View Post
    No justice system is perfect, as such you need to be able to compensate the people who are wrongly convicted. The death penalty does not allow for the mistakes to be corrected, as it a rather permanent solution. Life in prison without possibility of parole serves the same overall purpose of keeping dangerous offenders away from the public, while allowing for a wrongfull conviction to be changed and the person wrongfully convicted to be set free and compensated for his suffering
    For the record, I am a firm supporter of capital punishment. I've seen and read all of the studies. Call it what you want but be honest, it is retribution, plain and simple. And you know what, that is fine by me. Victim's families and we as a society of laws need closure and sometimes this is the only way to get it.

  7. #57
    Shankmasta Killa
    TacticalEvilDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NY and Geneva, CH
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,444

    Re: Texas Inmates Likely to Be Exonerated After Committee Discovers Wrongful Convicti

    Quote Originally Posted by Rightwingnutjob View Post
    Except they enjoy free meals, housing and a gym on the tax payers dime.
    That's the price you pay if you want to lock someone up.

    That said, prison is no picnic. The only places where you can really do "soft time" are inaccessible to violent offenders.
    I'm already gearing up for Finger Vote 2014.

    Just for reference, means my post was a giant steaming pile of sarcasm.

  8. #58
    Shankmasta Killa
    TacticalEvilDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NY and Geneva, CH
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,444

    Re: Texas Inmates Likely to Be Exonerated After Committee Discovers Wrongful Convicti

    Quote Originally Posted by ric27 View Post
    Back on topic....

    My understanding... If, the DA's office does not seek it no one else gets a say so. The victims family typically is included in these discussions, but ultimately the DA decides.
    DAs have discovered that it is to their political advantage to pursue death whenever they can, because it makes them look tough on crime. The fact that the DA is the only one who gets to decide to start this process is no hindrance whatsoever.

    Quote Originally Posted by ric27 View Post
    Once the DA decides to go for it the other steps are the same. Juries have to be unanimous on all things....UNANIMOUS JURY gives the death verdict.
    Not difficult to accomplish with an emotionally charged crime.
    I'm already gearing up for Finger Vote 2014.

    Just for reference, means my post was a giant steaming pile of sarcasm.

  9. #59
    Sage
    ric27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    06-15-17 @ 02:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,539

    Re: Texas Inmates Likely to Be Exonerated After Committee Discovers Wrongful Convicti

    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalEvilDan View Post
    DAs have discovered that it is to their political advantage to pursue death whenever they can, because it makes them look tough on crime. The fact that the DA is the only one who gets to decide to start this process is no hindrance whatsoever.
    Be careful when you see someone freed because of new testing. If true, glad it happened, but the press would much rather report that than the 1000's successfully convicted with good evidence
    Not difficult to accomplish with an emotionally charged crime.
    Everyone has an agenda.

  10. #60
    Sage
    Lord Tammerlain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:42 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    10,432

    Re: Texas Inmates Likely to Be Exonerated After Committee Discovers Wrongful Convicti

    Quote Originally Posted by ric27 View Post
    For the record, I am a firm supporter of capital punishment. I've seen and read all of the studies. Call it what you want but be honest, it is retribution, plain and simple. And you know what, that is fine by me. Victim's families and we as a society of laws need closure and sometimes this is the only way to get it.
    Ok it is retribution

    Now what if the wrong person was executee? Who should that persons family seek retribution on, the lawyers the judge and the jury, should they all be killed for murder (killing an innocent person is murder)
    Happy Hanukkah Cheerfull Kwanzaa
    Happy Christmas Merry New Year Festivus for the rest of us

Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •