Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 192

Thread: Texas Inmates Likely to Be Exonerated After Committee Discovers Wrongful Convictions

  1. #161
    Advisor Rightwingnutjob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    09-05-10 @ 04:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    420

    Re: Texas Inmates Likely to Be Exonerated After Committee Discovers Wrongful Convicti

    Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    I never claimed it did. Other people clamined the south was innocent. This is CLEARLY not the case. Your defense of it is shocking.
    So by your logic--if it can be called that--no state has the right to practice law.

  2. #162
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Whitewater, CO
    Last Seen
    04-05-16 @ 06:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    8,260
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Texas Inmates Likely to Be Exonerated After Committee Discovers Wrongful Convicti

    Quote Originally Posted by Rightwingnutjob View Post
    So by your logic--if it can be called that--no state has the right to practice law.
    Your apples-to-orages theory makes no sense here. The south is NOT innocent. The north certain is not innocent; however, the north is not responsible for inhumane chain gang prisons, the sweat box, or the outright assaults (many committed by law enforcement authorties) on the freedom marchers.

    I do not believe the south is capable of fairly administering the dearth penalty and therefore should be banned from doing so. I believe the term "backwards southern justice" speaks for itself. I do not believe the north is capable of doing so either but at least the north has no history of murdering civil rights workers (See Mississippi Burning for more details).

  3. #163
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Texas Inmates Likely to Be Exonerated After Committee Discovers Wrongful Convicti

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    You know, that's a total of 46 years of prison time for 2 men who were innocent. The good news is that one of them is going to get more than 2 million dollars for the time he spent in prison, and I am sure that the other will get a huge amount also. That won't get a huge chunk of either man's life back, but it will at least pay them compensation for their unjust convictions.

    In what is known as the Texas "for profit" plantation prison system, not all the system is bad. In fact, things are improving. The department which led the investigation that eventually freed both men was created by the Harris County Prosecutor's Office, right here in Houston. Yes, even in a place like Texas, things are changing, and for the better.

    People ask me why I am against the death penalty. To be honest, if it was perfect, then I would be the first to throw the switch. But it isn't, not in Texas, nor anywhere else in the US. These 2 inmates are lucky they were not convicted of a capital offense. At least they will be compensated. Someone wrongfully executed for a murder he did not commit is totally screwed, and compensation becomes a meaningless concept. THIS is why I oppose the death penalty, and always will, until it becomes 100 percent accurate, and no innocent people are put to death, which will happen................ Never. At least, not in Texas, also known as the nation of "Hang 'em High", for both, those who murder, and the occasional person who does not.

    Article is here.
    Precisely! It's why I too am against the death penalty. Because while it sucked that they were wrongfully imprisoned, they did have the chance to get exonerated eventually, they're still alive. I've argued this point before, it's not always well welcomed. And for some in support of the death penalty, they want it to include more crimes such as rape and to be quicker. Had they had their way, these men would have been long dead. Because the failure of the death penalty is that the State executes innocents we need to be very careful with it. I think it's best to not even mess with the whole thing. But if you want to do it, do it like Colorado. We have strict rules on the use of our death penalty and because of it, hardly any criminal on our death row.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  4. #164
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Texas Inmates Likely to Be Exonerated After Committee Discovers Wrongful Convicti

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    Science improves, and our Justice System improves.

    You cannot have a criminal justice system that does not make mistakes.
    Which is why the justice system is incredibly restricted. The State must prove guilt, as the defendant is assumed innocent until proven guilty. Additionally, the types of sentences which can be given out are also restricted. The justice system is a piece of government, and all government is meant to be restricted to prevent abuse of power. In the modern world, there is no need for the death penalty in the US. It's just not necessary. We can keep prisoners in jail for life cheaper than we can execute them and that at least gives some amount of time where they can be found innocent should additional information/evidence come up.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  5. #165
    Hippie Hater
    texmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Dallas TEXAS
    Last Seen
    08-20-15 @ 01:17 AM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3,969

    Re: Texas Inmates Likely to Be Exonerated After Committee Discovers Wrongful Convicti

    Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    You can live in planet denial all you want. The KKK started in the south, Jim Crow was a governor of a southern state, and the freedom marchers were victimized in the south. The evidence of this is in every history book in every school (except the edited books used in Texas).

    You are defeated. You should quit while you're behind.
    First it was Texas then it was the south. The stupidity of the argument you are making knows no bounds. So nothing bad ever happened in the North or out West according to your pathetic attempts at logic.

    Allow me to once again blow your laughable argument away

    1644 English Massacre of sleeping village At New Amsterdam (present day New York), John Underhill, hired by the Dutch, reproduced successful Fort Mystic strategy of burning a sleeping village, killing about 500 Indian people.

    1690 February 8 Schenectady Massacre French and Algonquins destroyed Schenectady, New York, killing 60 settlers, including ten women and at least twelve children.

    1704 February 29 Deerfield Massacre A force composed of Abenaki, Kanienkehaka, Wyandot and Pocumtuck, led by a small contingent of French-Canadian militia, sacked the town of Deerfield, Massachusetts, killing 56 civilians and taking dozens more as captives.

    1757 August 9 Battle of Fort William Henry Following the fall of Fort William Henry, between 70 and 180 British and colonial prisoners were killed by Indian allies of the French.

    1764 July 26 Enoch Brown School Massacre Four Delaware killed a schoolmaster, 10 pupils and a pregnant woman. Two pupils were scalped but survived.

    1778 July 3 Battle of Wyoming Following a battle with rebel defenders of Forty Fort, Iroquois allies of Loyalist forces, hunted and killed those who fled and were later accused of then torturing to death those who surrendered. These claims were denied by Iroquois and British leaders at the time.
    August 31 Stockbridge Massacre A battle of the American Revolutionary War that rebel propaganda portrayed as a massacre.
    November 11 Cherry Valley Massacre British and Seneca forces attacked the fort and village at Cherry Valley, New York, killing 16 rebel troops and more than 30 settlers.

    1782 March 8 Gnadenhütten massacre Nearly 100 non-combatant Christian Lenape, mostly women and children, were attacked by Pennsylvania militiamen. All were killed and scalped except two young boys.

    1782 May 10 Corbly Family Massacre Indians attacked the family of John Corbly, a Christian minister in Greene County, Pennsylvania. Mrs. Corbly and three of their children were killed and two daughters were scalped, but survived. The Reverend Corbly escaped. Daughters of the American Revolution Magazine, R.R. Bowker Co., 1925, Item notes: v.59 1925 January-June p. 234
    1812 August 15 Fort Dearborn Massacre


    1812 August 15 Fort Dearborn Massacre
    (Battle of Fort Dearborn) During the War of 1812, American soldiers and settlers evacuating Fort Dearborn (site of present-day Chicago, Illinois) were killed in an ambush. In all, 26 soldiers, two officers, two women and 12 children, and 12 trappers and settlers hired as scouts, were killed. [30]
    September 10 Zimmer Massacre Four settlers were killed in an attack believed to be by aggrieved Lenape, in Ashland County, Ohio. Howe, Henry., Howe's Historical Collections of Ohio, Volume 1 .pp. 257–258, 1907
    September 15 Copus Massacre Three militiamen and one settler were killed; two militiamen and a settler's daughter were wounded and two Indians were killed during an attack on the Ashland County, Ohio homestead of Rev. James Copus.

    1813 August 18 Dilbone Massacre Three settlers (David Garrard and Henry Dilbone and wife) were killed in Miami County, Ohio. The Indian believed to have killed the settlers was later shot and killed.

    1824 March 22 Fall Creek Massacre Six settlers in Madison County, Indiana killed and robbed eight Seneca. One escaped trial and one was a witness at subsequent trial. One was hanged January 12, 1825 and two were hanged June 2, 1825. The last defendant was pardoned at the last minute

    1832 May 20 Indian Creek Massacre A party of Potawatomi, with a few Sauk allies, killed fifteen men, women and children and kidnapped two young women, who were later ransomed. [34]
    August 1 Battle of Bad Axe Around 150 Indian men, women and children were killed in Wisconsin by soldiers under General Henry Atkinson and armed volunteers.

    1847 November 29 Whitman massacre The murder of missionaries Dr. Marcus Whitman, Mrs. Narcissa Whitman and twelve others at Walla Walla, Washington by Cayuse and Umatilla, triggered the Cayuse War.

    1854 August 17 Kaibai Creek Massacre Forty-two Winnemem Wintu men, women and children were killed by white settlers at Kaibai Creek, California. [citation needed]
    August 19 Grattan Massacre After opening fire in an encampment of 4,000 BruléSioux, killing Chief Conquering Bear, all members of a detachment of 29 U.S. soldiers were killed in the Nebraska Territory. [40]
    August 20 Ward Massacre Eighteen of the 20 members of the Alexander Ward party were killed by Shoshone while traveling on the Oregon Trail in western Idaho. This event led to the eventual abandonment of Fort Boise and Fort Hall, in favor of the use of military escorts..

    1854 August 17 Kaibai Creek Massacre Forty-two Winnemem Wintu men, women and children were killed by white settlers at Kaibai Creek, California. [citation needed]
    August 19 Grattan Massacre After opening fire in an encampment of 4,000 BruléSioux, killing Chief Conquering Bear, all members of a detachment of 29 U.S. soldiers were killed in the Nebraska Territory. [40]
    August 20 Ward Massacre Eighteen of the 20 members of the Alexander Ward party were killed by Shoshone while traveling on the Oregon Trail in western Idaho. This event led to the eventual abandonment of Fort Boise and Fort Hall, in favor of the use of military escorts. [41][42][43]
    1855 January 22 Klamath River massacres In retaliation for the murder of six settlers and the theft of some cattle, whites commenced a "war of extermination against the Indians" in Humboldt Co., California Crescent City Herald, quoted in Sacramento newspaper.[44]
    1860 February 26 1860 Wiyot Massacre
    (Indian Island Massacre) About 188 Wiyot, mostly women and children, were killed by white settlers in Humboldt County, California, during one of three simultaneous assaults on the Wiyot [45][46][47]
    1862 August-September Dakota War of 1862 300-800 white settlers were killed throughout Minnesota as part of the U.S.-Dakota War[48] [citation needed]
    October 24 Tonkawa Massacre Accompanied by Caddo allies, a detachment of irregular Union Indians, mainly Kickapoo, Delaware and Shawnee, attempted to destroy the Tonkawa tribe in Indian Territory. One hundred and fifty of 390 Tonkawa survived. [49]
    1863 January 29 Bear River Massacre Col. Patrick Connor led a regiment killing at least 200 Indian men, women and children near Preston, Idaho. See main article
    April 19 Keyesville Massacre White settlers and members of the California cavalry killed 35 Tehachapi men in Kern County, California. [50]
    1864 November 29 Sand Creek Massacre Members of the Colorado Militia attacked a peaceful village of Cheyenne, killing at least 160 men, women and children at Sand Creek, Colorado. [51]
    1865-1871 Yahi Massacres Several massacres of native encampments by American settlers exterminated the 200 members of the Yahi tribe, such as the first in 1865 (74 killed), the 1866 Three Knolls (40 killed) and Dry Camp (33 killed) massacres, ending with the Kingsley Cave/Morgan Camp massacre (30 killed) in 1871. The Yahi were Ishi’s tribe.

    1870 January 23 Marias Massacre White Americans killed 173 Piegans, mainly women, children and the elderly.

    1879 January 8 Fort Robinson Massacre Northern Cheyenne under Dull Knife attempted to escape from confinement in Fort Robinson, Nebraska; about fifty survived. The remains of those killed were repatriated in 1994. [66]
    1879 September 30 Meeker Massacre Indian Agent Nathan Meeker and 10 others killed by Utes; likewise a military unit is ambushed and 13 killed and 43 wounded. The Beginning of the Ute War Wikipedia Article Nathan Meeker
    1880 April 28 Alma Massacre Settlers were killed by Apaches led by Victorio at Alma, New Mexico. Likewise on December 19, 1885, an officer and four enlisted men of the 8th Cavalry Regiment were killed by Apaches near Alma, New Mexico. See P.Reed, Albuquerque Tribune story 22 December 2005 listed under References of Bibliography under article Alma, New Mexico {Reference only}
    1890 December 29 Wounded Knee Massacre Members of the U.S. 7th Cavalry killed 128 Sioux men, women and children at Wounded Knee, South Dakota. [67]
    1911 January 19 "The Last Massacre" Twelve Shoshone killed four ranchers in Washoe County, Nevada. On February 26, 1911, eight of those involved were killed by a posse; the remaining four were captured.



    And thats just the Native American massacres. So now that the stupidity of your argument that only the south has a voilent past has been blown away.

    Now lets look at your fair state Colorado

    Ludlow Massacre

    Columbine High School massacre

    Chivington Massacre

    The Sand Creek Massacre

    Colorado Coalfield Massacre




    Get off your high horse and get back down to actual facts. ALL States and regions of America have their fair share of voilence and for you to so willingly display your utter incompetence in this area is just another indictation that you really need to read more and talk less.
    Last edited by texmaster; 08-02-10 at 08:06 PM.
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.

    John Adams

  6. #166
    Advisor Rightwingnutjob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    09-05-10 @ 04:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    420

    Re: Texas Inmates Likely to Be Exonerated After Committee Discovers Wrongful Convicti

    I could actually understand his point of view if he simply didn't believe in the death penalty. Unfortunately he's painting the South with a broad brush calling it racist and further advocating for the prosecuter and judge to be eligible for life in prison if the wrong person is inadvertently charged. These claims are rooted in some alternate reality and I can't even fathom a single reason to justify these beliefs.

  7. #167
    Sage
    ric27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    06-15-17 @ 02:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,539

    Re: Texas Inmates Likely to Be Exonerated After Committee Discovers Wrongful Convicti

    Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    That governor needs to be serving 100 years in Supermax Florence. All his property needs to be sold and the proceeds need to be given to his victims.
    The governor has been found guilty?

  8. #168
    Sage
    ric27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    06-15-17 @ 02:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,539

    Re: Texas Inmates Likely to Be Exonerated After Committee Discovers Wrongful Convicti

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    Keep that "being sickened by the loss of innocent life" side alive. It is what makes us human. And yes, I am disgusted by the existence of guilty life too, but I will never again support taking an innocent life, so that I can have justification that those who commit crimes should die.
    FYI, I have no problem with killing people. Killin's ok by me. ....But, philosophically I'm a little particular about the idea that we're killing the RIGHT people.

    If we have you on video doing the crime, have your DNA at the scene, and those are both pieces of evidence in the case, then I say it's ok to take YOU out without any further judicial review and be done with you.

    If all we have is eyewitness testimony (Eyewitness statements are notorious for being incorrect)
    and no DNA and no video, then, we just throw you in the hole forever.

  9. #169
    Advisor Rightwingnutjob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    09-05-10 @ 04:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    420

    Re: Texas Inmates Likely to Be Exonerated After Committee Discovers Wrongful Convicti

    Quote Originally Posted by ric27 View Post
    FYI, I have no problem with killing people. Killin's ok by me. ....But, philosophically I'm a little particular about the idea that we're killing the RIGHT people.

    If we have you on video doing the crime, have your DNA at the scene, and those are both pieces of evidence in the case, then I say it's ok to take YOU out without any further judicial review and be done with you.
    Yes, this right here. I can agree that this situation is one that I would want the death penalty.

  10. #170
    Guru
    deltabtry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    MA.
    Last Seen
    11-26-16 @ 03:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    4,021

    Re: Texas Inmates Likely to Be Exonerated After Committee Discovers Wrongful Convicti

    Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    An executed convict may be awarded a pardon beyond the grave because of DNA evidence, potentially dealing a dramatic blow to the death penalty in America.

    The governor of Virginia, Mark Warner, has ordered DNA tests on Roger Coleman, a miner executed in 1992 for raping and murdering his sister-in-law.

    ARTICLE: DNA test on man 'wrongly executed' - Telegraph

    You've just been defeated by your own request.
    DNA testing should be required for all capital crimes or federal crimes if at all possible depending on the evidence, if DNA is present then DNA testing will be required. Although I am still favor for the death penalty for those caught committing a heinous crime, although it must be proven beyond a shadow of a doubt. I will agree some prosecutors have become predatory and this does result in innocent people be sentenced to incarceration, this must stop by changing on how we judge and grade prosecutors.

Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •