Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 96

Thread: Obama pleads with Republicans on small business bill

  1. #41
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,661

    Re: Obama pleads with Republicans on small business bill

    Quote Originally Posted by The Dane View Post
    I should point out that most big business is doing fine these days. They are by far the healthiest of economic indicators. They are also holding on to about 1 TRILLION in cash, cash that could be used to expand, hire new people ect.

    It should also be noted that while Regan was a strong supporter of tax cuts, when he was facing rising deficits he also raised taxes. He had a large tax INCREASE on business in 1982, payroll tax increases in 1983, and higher energy taxes in 1984. People like to say that while these tax increases are true, you didn't see the effect of Reagan's policies really until the economy had more time to digest and spit out an outcome. Its funny that nobody wants to be patient with Obama either.

    When the first President Bush was facing high deficits he also increased taxes on the rich in 1991, while Clinton raised taxes on the rich in 1993.
    Why do you suppose businesses who are invested in making money are hanging on to their wealth?

  2. #42
    Student The Dane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    08-01-10 @ 07:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    253

    Re: Obama pleads with Republicans on small business bill

    I'm not going to play this game with you. State your argument and we can go from there. I'm not going to answer your first question and then get dragged into an argument of 10-20 posts. Make a point and I will argue that.
    Ever have to dance with the devil in the pale moonlight?
    Scales in the grass but the scales don't move right?

  3. #43
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,661

    Re: Obama pleads with Republicans on small business bill

    Quote Originally Posted by The Dane View Post
    I'm not going to play this game with you. State your argument and we can go from there. I'm not going to answer your first question and then get dragged into an argument of 10-20 posts. Make a point and I will argue that.
    You dont have to. You MADE the point. the money is there. Businesses are hanging on to it. they arent investing it. Theres a reason for it. We all know what that reason is. This administration and congress are implementing policies that are hurting our economic growth. Period.

  4. #44
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,129

    Re: Obama pleads with Republicans on small business bill

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    You dont have to. You MADE the point. the money is there. Businesses are hanging on to it. they arent investing it. Theres a reason for it. We all know what that reason is.
    Absolutely we do.....Greed. Trickle down economics never works....it never has and it never will because of one reason.....greed.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  5. #45
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    9,812

    Re: Obama pleads with Republicans on small business bill

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Absolutely we do.....Greed. Trickle down economics never works....it never has and it never will because of one reason.....greed.
    It seems to me that if it were truly all about greed, they'd be all about investing that money in their business so they could make more of those lovely greenbacks. They aren't investing that money for a reason, and Vance nailed it. The same reason I and most consumers are holding on to their money. There is a lot of uncertainty about Obama, the dem congress, and their policies.
    Last edited by buck; 07-29-10 at 08:03 PM.

  6. #46
    Educator
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    02-04-15 @ 11:02 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    808

    Re: Obama pleads with Republicans on small business bill

    Quote Originally Posted by The Dane View Post
    AFP: Obama pleads with Republicans on small business bill

    Republicans strategy is to stop the country from recovering, and blaming it on Obama.
    This bill would pass in an instant if the Democrats allowed Republicans to offer more than three amendments to it... That is the only thing holding this bill up.

  7. #47
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,132

    Re: Obama pleads with Republicans on small business bill

    Quote Originally Posted by NolaMan View Post
    This bill would pass in an instant if the Democrats allowed Republicans to offer more than three amendments to it... That is the only thing holding this bill up.
    what were the amendments the republicans wanted to add, and why were they rejected?
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  8. #48
    Educator
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    02-04-15 @ 11:02 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    808

    Re: Obama pleads with Republicans on small business bill

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    what were the amendments the republicans wanted to add, and why were they rejected?
    They were not really "rejected" since Republicans would have been barred from offering them in the first place.. the NYT reports:

    But Republicans leaders filibustered after engaging for days in a procedural fight with Democrats over the number of amendments they would be able to offer during floor debate, and what issues the amendments would cover. A last-ditch offer by Democrats to allow three Republican amendments was refused by the Republican leader, Mitch McConnell of Kentucky.

    more

    The vote followed several heated exchanges on the floor, in which Republicans accused Democrats of politicizing the bill and trying to deny them the opportunity to propose changes. Democrats countered that Republicans were simply obstructing everything and some of their amendments were unrelated to the bill.

    “That is the tradition in the United States Senate: majority rules but you accommodate the rights of the minority,” said Senator Olympia J. Snowe of Maine, who is the senior Republican on the small-business committee. “We’re faced with a procedural impasse here because we’re being denied the opportunity to offer some amendments.”

    more

    But some of those groups, including the National Federation of Independent Business, said that while they supported the overall legislation, they also supported some amendments that Republicans were seeking to offer.

    Senator George LeMieux, Republican of Florida, who helped draft the bill, said Democrats had taken a bipartisan measure and created a partisan firefight over it.

    “This small business bill should pass and it should pass with relevant amendments,” Mr. LeMieux said. “Before I am a Republican, I am a Floridian and an American, and this bill is good for our country.”
    I don't see why amendments are being blocked really, if they were allowed the bill would sail through. In terms of specific amendments, I don't know what they are exactly.
    Last edited by NolaMan; 07-29-10 at 08:20 PM.

  9. #49
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,661

    Re: Obama pleads with Republicans on small business bill

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Absolutely we do.....Greed. Trickle down economics never works....it never has and it never will because of one reason.....greed.
    Man...all I can say is they must set the 'bar' way low in California...wow.

  10. #50
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,132

    Re: Obama pleads with Republicans on small business bill

    Quote Originally Posted by NolaMan View Post
    They were not really "rejected" since Republicans would have been barred from offering them in the first place.. the NYT reports:



    I don't see why amendments are being blocked really, if they were allowed the bill would sail through. In terms of specific amendments, I don't know what they are exactly.
    i saw where the republicans refused to support the small business measure because they were limited to three amendments
    wondered what three plus amendments that the republicans insisted on which caused them to scuttle the help for small business, America's job generator
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •