Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 53

Thread: Mass. Legislature approves plan to bypass Electoral College

  1. #31
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Mass. Legislature approves plan to bypass Electoral College

    Quote Originally Posted by The Dane View Post
    Then why is alright to give a bias towards smaller states?
    Because democracy in most or all forms is destructive.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  2. #32
    Anti-Hypocrite
    molten_dragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Southeast Michigan
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    9,351

    Re: Mass. Legislature approves plan to bypass Electoral College

    I think the electoral college should be gotten rid of, but I think this is a stupid way to go about it. The constitution should be changed to make it an election by popular vote.
    If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.

    If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

  3. #33
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: Mass. Legislature approves plan to bypass Electoral College

    Quote Originally Posted by molten_dragon View Post
    I think the electoral college should be gotten rid of, but I think this is a stupid way to go about it. The constitution should be changed to make it an election by popular vote.
    And there is a reason people like you weren't allowed to write the Constitution. However, I do agree with you that this is a stupid way of doing things, but it's THEIR choice to be idiots.
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  4. #34
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: Mass. Legislature approves plan to bypass Electoral College

    Quote Originally Posted by The Dane View Post
    But your argument still doesn't account for the fact that how larger cities vote does not predict the outcome of state elections. Los Angelos votes Democrat, but California as a whole goes Republican for a governor.

    I should also point out that immature attempts to label my arguments as progressive and thus by default incorrect are logical fallacies and are quite lazy. Argue with facts not generalizations and opinions. (This was not solely directed at your Mr.V)
    Your arguments ARE the talking points of the Progressive Idealogues, whether you know it or not. This is not a Democracy, it is a Representative Republic. America doesn't work on Mob Rule, and smaller states get a boost agaisnt big states/popluation centers to balance things out. The Founding Fathers were huge believers in balance, a direct election lacks that balance.
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  5. #35
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:29 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,535

    Re: Mass. Legislature approves plan to bypass Electoral College

    I'm not 100% sure you guys know what you're arguing with each other about.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  6. #36
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Mass. Legislature approves plan to bypass Electoral College

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    I'm not 100% sure you guys know what you're arguing with each other about.
    I'd have to agree with that.

  7. #37
    Defender of the Faith
    ludahai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Taichung, Taiwan - 2017 East Asian Games Candidate City
    Last Seen
    07-03-13 @ 02:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,320

    Re: Mass. Legislature approves plan to bypass Electoral College

    Quote Originally Posted by The Dane View Post
    Then why is alright to give a bias towards smaller states?
    The representative in the House of Representatives is based on the population of the states, but the EV is the representation in the House PLUS the Senate -- in which each state has 2. So, if CA has 52 Members of the House and NH has 2, that is because CA has approximately 26x NHs population, but then CA has 54 EVs and NH has 4 -- only 13.5X NH representation in the EC... Thus, NH has almost TWICE the per capita representative in the EC as CA...
    Last edited by ludahai; 07-27-10 at 10:08 PM. Reason: fixed numbers for accuracy
    Semper Paratus
    Boston = City of Champions: Bruins 2011; Celtics 2008; Red Sox 2004, 2007; Patriots 2002, 2004, 2005
    Jon Huntsman for President

  8. #38
    Defender of the Faith
    ludahai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Taichung, Taiwan - 2017 East Asian Games Candidate City
    Last Seen
    07-03-13 @ 02:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,320

    Re: Mass. Legislature approves plan to bypass Electoral College

    Quote Originally Posted by The Dane View Post
    Then why is alright to give a bias towards smaller states?
    Didn't you originally argue that the popular vote would benefit smaller states, and now you have a problem with a system that benefits smaller states?!?!?
    Semper Paratus
    Boston = City of Champions: Bruins 2011; Celtics 2008; Red Sox 2004, 2007; Patriots 2002, 2004, 2005
    Jon Huntsman for President

  9. #39
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: Mass. Legislature approves plan to bypass Electoral College

    Quote Originally Posted by ludahai View Post
    Didn't you originally argue that the popular vote would benefit smaller states, and now you have a problem with a system that benefits smaller states?!?!?
    That's what happens when you argue talking points rather than having a formed opion of an issue.
    Then:
    "Hey, the Popluar vote would help Smaller states!"

    Debate ensues...

    Now:
    "Why support an unfair system taht gives smaller states an advantage?"


    The rest of us go "eh?"
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  10. #40
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,982

    Re: Mass. Legislature approves plan to bypass Electoral College

    Let's see what happens when a Republican presidential candidate wins the popular election.... I wonder if people in MA will be fuming when the largely Democrat state gives its electoral votes to a Republican. If anything this is a preach of democratic values, because other voters from all over the country will be deciding who the state of MA gives their votes to.
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. -Socrates
    Tired of elections being between the lesser of two evils.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •