Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 53

Thread: Mass. Legislature approves plan to bypass Electoral College

  1. #21
    Student The Dane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    08-01-10 @ 07:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    253

    Re: Mass. Legislature approves plan to bypass Electoral College

    Quote Originally Posted by ludahai View Post
    But you could same the same in states like Texas which are large and lean Republican. And your point does nothing to address the relative importance of smaller states in the two systems...
    What do you mean by the "importance of smaller states". Under the EC those smaller states are simply given smaller EC points relative to California, NY, Texas.
    Last edited by The Dane; 07-27-10 at 09:25 PM.
    Ever have to dance with the devil in the pale moonlight?
    Scales in the grass but the scales don't move right?

  2. #22
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Mass. Legislature approves plan to bypass Electoral College

    Quote Originally Posted by The Dane View Post
    Ah yes I see you are Libertarian. I'm not quite sure how either the EC or the national popular vote would effect third party candidates.
    Neither helps us very much.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  3. #23
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,475

    Re: Mass. Legislature approves plan to bypass Electoral College

    Obama better hope this doesn't happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  4. #24
    Student The Dane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    08-01-10 @ 07:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    253

    Re: Mass. Legislature approves plan to bypass Electoral College

    Quote Originally Posted by ludahai View Post
    I actually like the way Maine and Nebraska do it... award 1 EV for each congressional district and 2EVs for state-wide victory. However, serious precautions against Gerrymandering would have to take place for such a system to truly be practical in larger states...
    That is also a very good reason why I don't like the EC because, intentional or not, there is still always the possibility that the boundries of districts will effect the elections, regardless of if they were drawn with a bias or not.
    Ever have to dance with the devil in the pale moonlight?
    Scales in the grass but the scales don't move right?

  5. #25
    Defender of the Faith
    ludahai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Taichung, Taiwan - 2017 East Asian Games Candidate City
    Last Seen
    07-03-13 @ 02:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,320

    Re: Mass. Legislature approves plan to bypass Electoral College

    Quote Originally Posted by The Dane View Post
    What do you mean by the "importance of smaller states". Under the EC those smaller states are simply given smaller EC points relative to California, NY, Texas.
    not exactly... the smaller states have a larger proportion of votes in the EC than they would have in a popular vote system...
    Semper Paratus
    Boston = City of Champions: Bruins 2011; Celtics 2008; Red Sox 2004, 2007; Patriots 2002, 2004, 2005
    Jon Huntsman for President

  6. #26
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: Mass. Legislature approves plan to bypass Electoral College

    Quote Originally Posted by ludahai View Post
    not exactly... the smaller states have a larger proportion of votes in the EC than they would have in a popular vote system...
    The Dane can only understand, and repeat Progressive thought. Don't try to cahnge his mind, he's a true believer.
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  7. #27
    Defender of the Faith
    ludahai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Taichung, Taiwan - 2017 East Asian Games Candidate City
    Last Seen
    07-03-13 @ 02:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,320

    Re: Mass. Legislature approves plan to bypass Electoral College

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    The Dane can only understand, and repeat Progressive thought. Don't try to cahnge his mind, he's a true believer.
    Not trying to change his mind, I know that isn't possible. Yet, he is wrong about the EC. That isn't about changing someone's mind, that is about FACT!
    Semper Paratus
    Boston = City of Champions: Bruins 2011; Celtics 2008; Red Sox 2004, 2007; Patriots 2002, 2004, 2005
    Jon Huntsman for President

  8. #28
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: Mass. Legislature approves plan to bypass Electoral College

    Quote Originally Posted by The Dane View Post
    I understand your logic, and if this was true then I would agree with you. But I don't think you assessment is correct. For example, in the 2004 election, Democrats took Miami, but they did not take Florida. They also took Cleveland, but they did not take Ohio. When candidates go to battle ground states, they usually do not campaign in the metropolises, and instead focus in urban areas. To put it in perspective, the 25 biggest cities only account for roughly 12% of the population.
    They don't have to spend as much time in the bigger citities because you only need to spend a day to hit say Houston, but a week for Texas for example.
    Last edited by Renae; 07-27-10 at 09:56 PM.
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  9. #29
    Student The Dane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    08-01-10 @ 07:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    253

    Re: Mass. Legislature approves plan to bypass Electoral College

    Quote Originally Posted by ludahai View Post
    not exactly... the smaller states have a larger proportion of votes in the EC than they would have in a popular vote system...
    Then why is alright to give a bias towards smaller states?
    Ever have to dance with the devil in the pale moonlight?
    Scales in the grass but the scales don't move right?

  10. #30
    Student The Dane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    08-01-10 @ 07:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    253

    Re: Mass. Legislature approves plan to bypass Electoral College

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    They don't have to spend as much time in the bigger citities because you only need to spend a Say to hit say Houston, but a week for Texas for example.
    But your argument still doesn't account for the fact that how larger cities vote does not predict the outcome of state elections. Los Angelos votes Democrat, but California as a whole goes Republican for a governor.

    I should also point out that immature attempts to label my arguments as progressive and thus by default incorrect are logical fallacies and are quite lazy. Argue with facts not generalizations and opinions. (This was not solely directed at your Mr.V)
    Last edited by The Dane; 07-27-10 at 09:42 PM.
    Ever have to dance with the devil in the pale moonlight?
    Scales in the grass but the scales don't move right?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •