Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 139

Thread: Britain Plans to Decentralize Health Care

  1. #11
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,089

    Re: Britain Plans to Decentralize Health Care

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    They prefer mediocore

    Life expectancy UK is 79.4 and in the US 78.2. So it is better than the US.. wups.

    Under 5 mortality is 6 per 1000 in the UK and 7.8 in the US... another wups.

    Number of doctors in the UK is more per 100.000 citizens than in the US.

    The UK has also more beds than the US per capita...

    in most health statistics the UK beats the US.

    over priced healthcare
    Overpriced? The US uses almost 8000 dollars per capita, where as the UK uses 3500 per capita.. who is exactly has the over priced healthcare?

    to real change that would improve their lives. Cause if Gov't didn't run it.. they might be *GASP* responsible for their own lives again.

    Can't have that.
    and what exactly are you babbling about here? What "real change".. going from a superior system to an inferior? And we are just as responsible for our own lives as Americans are, so take your arrogance and ...
    PeteEU

  2. #12
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: Britain Plans to Decentralize Health Care

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    Life expectancy UK is 79.4 and in the US 78.2. So it is better than the US.. wups.

    Under 5 mortality is 6 per 1000 in the UK and 7.8 in the US... another wups.

    Number of doctors in the UK is more per 100.000 citizens than in the US.

    The UK has also more beds than the US per capita...

    in most health statistics the UK beats the US.



    Overpriced? The US uses almost 8000 dollars per capita, where as the UK uses 3500 per capita.. who is exactly has the over priced healthcare?



    and what exactly are you babbling about here? What "real change".. going from a superior system to an inferior? And we are just as responsible for our own lives as Americans are, so take your arrogance and ...
    Wow, you got some great talking points, too bad they don't mean squat.
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  3. #13
    Dungeon Master
    Somewhere in Babylon
    Jetboogieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in Babylon...
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,272
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Britain Plans to Decentralize Health Care

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    Wow, you got some great talking points, too bad they don't mean squat.
    Clearly for you the line has been blurred between talking points and facts. Which is what Pete showed you. Truly sad you don't know the difference.

    You've been fed this "socialized medicine" propaganda for so long... I truly feel for you buddy.

  4. #14
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,952

    Re: Britain Plans to Decentralize Health Care

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    Life expectancy UK is 79.4 and in the US 78.2. So it is better than the US.. wups.
    What does this mean? That people in the UK live 1.2 years longer because they have superior healthcare? It could be due to the fact that in America we have an obesity epidemic. Healthcare quality isn't the only thing that factors into life expectancy.
    Under 5 mortality is 6 per 1000 in the UK and 7.8 in the US... another wups.
    What statistic is this supposed to be for? Any sources?
    Number of doctors in the UK is more per 100.000 citizens than in the US.
    This is factually incorrect. According to Physicians per 1,000 people (most recent) by country
    52United States: 2.3 per 1,000 people
    55 United Kingdom: 2.2 per 1,000 people
    The US has more doctors per person (even though it is slightly more) than the UK. Your statistic is wrong.
    The UK has also more beds than the US per capita...
    This is correct. The US only has 320 hospital beds per 100,000 people. The UK has 390. However, Russia has 1072, Belarus has 1124, and Poland has 523. Does that mean these nations have a better healthcare system than the UK? You have to take into account the quality of care in hospitals and population growth rates. I've known many sick people, and no one has ever been turned away from a hospital due to no vacancy.
    in most health statistics the UK beats the US.
    That is due to culture and personal life style choices. I would like to see proof related directly to healthcare, hospitals, and the quality of care.
    Overpriced? The US uses almost 8000 dollars per capita, where as the UK uses 3500 per capita.. who is exactly has the over priced healthcare?
    Source please? In the UK healthcare is funded by taxes. Who has the higher taxes?
    41 United States: 35 %
    24 United Kingdom: 40 %

    and what exactly are you babbling about here? What "real change".. going from a superior system to an inferior? And we are just as responsible for our own lives as Americans are, so take your arrogance and ...
    In America we are headed for an inferior system filled with bureaucracy and even more wasteful spending. My dermatologist is from the UK, and he has told us how horrible their healthcare system is. One reason he left the UK was to escape it.

    Now, I am for an efficient form of socialized healthcare. I believe it's a right and I do believe that in America we are spending too much and wasting too much. However, the British healthcare system has become a bloated bureaucracy that is inefficient.
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. -Socrates
    Tired of elections being between the lesser of two evils.

  5. #15
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,089

    Re: Britain Plans to Decentralize Health Care

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    What does this mean? That people in the UK live 1.2 years longer because they have superior healthcare? It could be due to the fact that in America we have an obesity epidemic. Healthcare quality isn't the only thing that factors into life expectancy.
    The British are not far off on the obesity problem. But I see it makes a nice excuse. Like it or not obesity is not a "US problem" by far. The Germans are near the US on some obesity stats and the UK not far behind. But it is hard to find current statistics it seems.. best I have found is at Forbes.. wtf.. from 2007 (so 2005-6 numbers).

    What statistic is this supposed to be for? Any sources?
    It is one of the many statistics you can see at WHO and OECD. It is how many children die before their 5th birthday. WHO Global Health Observatory has it all.

    This is factually incorrect. According to Physicians per 1,000 people (most recent) by country
    52United States: 2.3 per 1,000 people
    55 United Kingdom: 2.2 per 1,000 people
    The US has more doctors per person (even though it is slightly more) than the UK. Your statistic is wrong.
    Yes, it was factually incorrect in 2002.... now in 2010 it is actually factually correct.

    OECD Health Data 2010 - Frequently Requested Data

    Excel ark btw, but it has lots of nice information. It shows 2.61 practising physicians per 1000 population for the UK in 2008 and 2.43 for the US. Now there is no number yet for 2009 for the US, but the UK climbed to 2.71... doubt the US made up that much ground in 1 year.. And this fits the trend in the US, where hospitals are being closed at an almost record pace.

    This is correct. The US only has 320 hospital beds per 100,000 people. The UK has 390. However, Russia has 1072, Belarus has 1124, and Poland has 523. Does that mean these nations have a better healthcare system than the UK? You have to take into account the quality of care in hospitals and population growth rates. I've known many sick people, and no one has ever been turned away from a hospital due to no vacancy.
    Actually it is now 310 per 100.000 people according to the new statistics, and the UK has 340. As for your second point, no it does not. But I was replying to the "expensive" comment if you look, and places like the UK and pretty much everyone else that the US compares it self normally, get more for their money by far. And yes, having more beds and good health statistics and more doctors and so on, shows how efficient a healthcare system is vs the amount of money pumped into it.

    That is due to culture and personal life style choices. I would like to see proof related directly to healthcare, hospitals, and the quality of care.
    Ahh the "obesity" excuse again. Listen, obesity and life style choices are not that dramatically different between the US and UK or Germany or many other countries. The only ones where you remotely can claim this, are countries around the Mediterranean because of their use of olive oil. The Brits and Germans are fat, they eat fatty unhealthy foods and drink too much.

    Source please? In the UK healthcare is funded by taxes. Who has the higher taxes?
    41 United States: 35 %
    24 United Kingdom: 40 %
    Source? It is commen fact lol. Again I refer you to the OECD Excel ark. First page.. 2008 numbers, the US spent 7538 dollars per capita, the UK 3129 per capita. Considering US healthcare costs are out of control, then the present 2010 number will be around 8000 if not over... does the healthcare costs not rise about 15% to 30% a year now days?

    As for your argument that the UK pays more taxes .. yes that is true. However unlike the US, everyone is covered and there is no self payment and coverage does not run out if your plan maximum runs out.. If we were to add the same level of coverage to the US, then your over all "burden" would skyrocket way past the 40% in tax rate the UK pays, because of the extremely high healthcare costs.

    Okay say we take two people. No deductibles and all that crap as it scews the facts. One in the UK and one in the US. Both earn say 100.000 dollars and after taxes that would leave 65000 for the American and 60000 for the Brit. Now since the Brit already has paid for his healthcare and that of his family through taxes he does not have any additional costs on this.. however the American still has to go out and find a healthcare plan.. and to match the coverage of the British one.. what would that cost the American... more than 5000 dollars or less.. a year for a family? Well according to this...

    Average family health insurance policy: $13,375, up 5% - USATODAY.com

    it would cost him 13375, and not even give the same coverage as the British model. And yes if we are talking about a single person, then the US system would be slightly cheaper but less coverage.. oh bugger!

    So again, I would claim paying over taxes is cheaper than a single payer system.

    In America we are headed for an inferior system filled with bureaucracy and even more wasteful spending.
    That may be, but it is not because of Government, since Government has caved in to big business and let them make the rules. Hence the healthcare market is basically localized monopolies with zero controls on prices.

    My dermatologist is from the UK, and he has told us how horrible their healthcare system is. One reason he left the UK was to escape it.
    Oh dont get me wrong, by European standards the UK NHS is at the bottom of the pile so to say, but it is still miles ahead of the US at least on the statistical background.

    As for you dermatologist.. guess he was pissed he could not squeeze his victims.. I mean customers, for all the money they had. You see in Europe, people dont usually become doctors because they want to be rich.. but because .. yes I know it is shocking.. they actually want to help people.

    Now, I am for an efficient form of socialized healthcare. I believe it's a right and I do believe that in America we are spending too much and wasting too much. However, the British healthcare system has become a bloated bureaucracy that is inefficient.
    And again, you base this one what? RNC Talking points.. what Fox tells you?
    PeteEU

  6. #16
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Britain Plans to Decentralize Health Care

    Normally I just ignore you but this is just too full of crap to let fly. First of all I've seen the WHO report myself. Considering they are pro-UHC biased and just threw out blanket numbers with no analysis it's not surprising people outside of the health or insurance industry who want handouts for all use their numbers blindly.
    So now to bring the hammer down on your inaccuracies.

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    Life expectancy UK is 79.4 and in the US 78.2. So it is better than the US.. wups.
    Not factoring in that less people in the UK own vehicles or have less disposable income due to tax and regulate,among(which can lead to premature deaths among the reckless and unfortunate) other lifestyle factors and the numbers still only skew up by what amounts to a little over a year. Nice oops yourself.

    Under 5 mortality is 6 per 1000 in the UK and 7.8 in the US... another wups.
    Which is an irrelavent statistic considering the US is not a homogenous population with different laws and ways of living. Another Pete wups.

    Number of doctors in the UK is more per 100.000 citizens than in the US.
    The U.S. has a doctor shortage due to legally limited doctor enrollment by federal law in which the AMA lobbied for in the early part of the 1900's, guess your little WHO propoganda piece didn't give you that piece of info did it?
    The UK has also more beds than the US per capita...
    And more sanitation problems coupled with longer wait times, worse satisfaction scores, and a much higher critical care mortality rate. To quote you wups.
    in most health statistics the UK beats the US.
    Not even close.



    Overpriced? The US uses almost 8000 dollars per capita, where as the UK uses 3500 per capita.. who is exactly has the over priced healthcare?
    I'd rather pay more for better than less for crap.



    and what exactly are you babbling about here? What "real change".. going from a superior system to an inferior? And we are just as responsible for our own lives as Americans are, so take your arrogance and ...
    LOL, you can't even come close to claiming that. The UK has more unemployment historically and Europe is the handout capital of the free world. What was that word you used again? Oh yeah........wups.
    Last edited by LaMidRighter; 07-27-10 at 11:29 AM.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  7. #17
    User
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    01-24-13 @ 02:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    64

    Re: Britain Plans to Decentralize Health Care

    Healthcare is one area in which the health of our loved ones should over-ride profits.

  8. #18
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Britain Plans to Decentralize Health Care

    Quote Originally Posted by Vic Mango View Post
    Healthcare is one area in which the health of our loved ones should over-ride profits.
    Easy to say when it's someone else's money.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  9. #19
    Dungeon Master
    Somewhere in Babylon
    Jetboogieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in Babylon...
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,272
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Britain Plans to Decentralize Health Care

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    Easy to say when it's someone else's money.
    If you pay insurance, and someone else gets sick who's in your insurance company, and you don't... does that not mean you pay for it too?

  10. #20
    Advisor Rightwingnutjob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    09-05-10 @ 04:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    420

    Re: Britain Plans to Decentralize Health Care

    Quote Originally Posted by Vic Mango View Post
    Healthcare is one area in which the health of our loved ones should over-ride profits.
    I'm sure it's not the only area you have that belief.

    The members of society who make an EFFORT to be healthy and to work should have healthcare for themselves and their children. I genuinely believe some people NEED help. I also believe that the vast majority don't. Health care is a privelege, NOT a right.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •