Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 73

Thread: Prospect of life in deep space as Nasa probe finds hundreds of new planets

  1. #31
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Last Seen
    12-26-10 @ 06:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,083

    Re: Prospect of life in deep space as Nasa probe finds hundreds of new planets

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    Actually, Rome was destroyed from within, long before the barbarians sacked her.
    I don't consider Rome to be one of the societies that I was referring to.

  2. #32
    Sage
    Guy Incognito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,216

    Re: Prospect of life in deep space as Nasa probe finds hundreds of new planets

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    We are NOT alone in the Universe, but we might as well be.[...]
    We are NOT alone in the Universe, but we ARE, which is plenty reason to take care of what we have.
    You keep saying we're not alone in the universe, but so far I don't see any evidence to back that up. The latest exoplanet research is fascinating, of course, but there is no evidence whatsoever of life anywhere else. It's just as likely that abiogenesis only ever happened once in the entire history of the universe, here on Earth. That's certainly the only place we have any evidence that it ever happened.

    Again, it's fascinating stuff, but leaping to conclusions like "we're not alone" just because there are a bunch of planets with water is unscientific.

  3. #33
    Student The Dane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    08-01-10 @ 07:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    253

    Re: Prospect of life in deep space as Nasa probe finds hundreds of new planets

    Something is seriously fishy about the OP's article. At first I thought it was great, but if this news were true it would be one of the biggest scientific discoveries of our century but so far the only sources I've found to covering it are the Toronto Sun, and Fox news....
    Ever have to dance with the devil in the pale moonlight?
    Scales in the grass but the scales don't move right?

  4. #34
    Sage

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    11-06-17 @ 08:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    5,490

    Re: Prospect of life in deep space as Nasa probe finds hundreds of new planets

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    You keep saying we're not alone in the universe, but so far I don't see any evidence to back that up. The latest exoplanet research is fascinating, of course, but there is no evidence whatsoever of life anywhere else. It's just as likely that abiogenesis only ever happened once in the entire history of the universe, here on Earth. That's certainly the only place we have any evidence that it ever happened.

    Again, it's fascinating stuff, but leaping to conclusions like "we're not alone" just because there are a bunch of planets with water is unscientific.
    as vast as the universe is, it is hard not to think that somewhere out there, some form of life exists.

  5. #35
    Sage
    Guy Incognito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,216

    Re: Prospect of life in deep space as Nasa probe finds hundreds of new planets

    Quote Originally Posted by randel View Post
    as vast as the universe is, it is hard not to think that somewhere out there, some form of life exists.
    Well, sure, but you need to keep your imagination differentiated from science. It could be that life is common, it could be that life only ever occurred once. It all depends on how common it is for life to spring from non-life, and we just don't understand that process well enough to make conclusions about how common it might be elsewhere.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Dane View Post
    Something is seriously fishy about the OP's article. At first I thought it was great, but if this news were true it would be one of the biggest scientific discoveries of our century but so far the only sources I've found to covering it are the Toronto Sun, and Fox news....
    Well, isn't it just repeating old news? We've known about exoplanets for a long time, I remember reading about rocky Earthlike exoplanets in Discover magazine like ten years ago.

  6. #36
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,756

    Re: Prospect of life in deep space as Nasa probe finds hundreds of new planets

    Quote Originally Posted by randel View Post
    as vast as the universe is, it is hard not to think that somewhere out there, some form of life exists.
    Exactly. If only one in a trillion stars had planets, and if only one in a trillion stars with planets had life, and if only one in a trillion stars that have planets AND life had intelligent life, you would still have more than a trillion planets with civilizations of some kind.
    Last edited by danarhea; 07-26-10 at 12:35 AM.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  7. #37
    Sage
    Guy Incognito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,216

    Re: Prospect of life in deep space as Nasa probe finds hundreds of new planets

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    Exactly. If only one in a trillion stars had planets, and if only one in a trillion stars with planets had life, and if only one in a trillion stars that have planets AND life had intelligent life, you would still have more than a trillion planets with civilizations.
    Right, even granting that your math is correct there, where's the evidence that there's even a one in a trillion chance of developing on a planet? Who's to say the chance isn't one in a trillion to the trillionth power? Maybe there is something unique about the mechanism of abiogenesis that it can only happen once is the entire universe? We just don't know, so assumptions like a "one in a trillion" chance are scientifically faulty.

    Not to take the wind out of your sails, I mean I love science fiction too, but there is a difference between science and speculation.
    Last edited by Guy Incognito; 07-26-10 at 12:39 AM.

  8. #38
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Last Seen
    12-26-10 @ 06:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,083

    Re: Prospect of life in deep space as Nasa probe finds hundreds of new planets

    There is probably, definitely, other life out there, but whether or not we are capable of interacting with it is another story. Life may be very common. As for the question of sapience... I think it is difficult to know because we have no real reference for sapience. Are we really that smart? Or are we super smart?

    One dot (us) does not form a pattern, nor would two dots. We would need many to establish what sapience even means.

  9. #39
    Sage
    Guy Incognito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,216

    Re: Prospect of life in deep space as Nasa probe finds hundreds of new planets

    Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    There is probably, definitely, other life out there, but whether or not we are capable of interacting with it is another story. Life may be very common. As for the question of sapience... I think it is difficult to know because we have no real reference for sapience. Are we really that smart? Or are we super smart?

    One dot (us) does not form a pattern, nor would two dots. We would need many to establish what sapience even means.
    Ok, now apply the logic of the bolded sentence and apply it to this one: "There is probably, definitely, other life out there." Where are you getting that assumption from, where is your evidence?

    You say that we have no real reference for sapience, but we also have no real reference for abiogenesis, that is a more pressing problem. Before we worry about how smart all those aliens we're presupposing might be, we have to worry about whether or not it is even possible that they exist.

  10. #40
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Last Seen
    12-26-10 @ 06:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,083

    Re: Prospect of life in deep space as Nasa probe finds hundreds of new planets

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    Ok, now apply the logic of the bolded sentence and apply it to this one: "There is probably, definitely, other life out there." Where are you getting that assumption from, where is your evidence?
    I acknowledged that it's more of an educated guess, but I base it upon the diverse range of life we have here on earth, living in even the most extreme conditions. At the turn of the 20th century, our question was, "Where can life exist?" The definition kept expanding, and now the question has become, "Where does life not exist?" I mean, there are even bacteria deep in the earth that never see the light of day. They just feed on thermal energy and its byproducts.

    I find it highly unlikely that we would be the only life in the universe.

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    You say that we have no real reference for sapience, but we also have no real reference for abiogenesis, that is a more pressing problem. Before we worry about how smart all those aliens we're presupposing might be, we have to worry about whether or not it is even possible that they exist.
    We have no reference for abiogenesis, but we can always assume the very basic fact: life happened somehow. Just because we don't know the origin doesn't mean that life is such a shot in the dark. If God created us, abiogenesis and evolution, or a meteor slamming into earth, or aliens with their weird science projects, or random cosmic rays, etc... the fact remains that life came about somehow, and however that happened, it can surely happen elsewhere. Even if we are a freak occurrence, the universe is incomprehensibly huge and there is surely somewhere where the same set of conditions are bound to unfold.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •