Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 34

Thread: Overweight people should pay 'fat tax' to cover healthcare costs, German MP says

  1. #21
    Professor
    The_Patriot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    02-06-12 @ 06:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,488

    Re: Overweight people should pay 'fat tax' to cover healthcare costs, German MP says

    Quote Originally Posted by The Dane View Post
    Post #7:



    Where in your post did you talk about little to no exercise or an awful diet? All you said was that there's more high fructose corn syrup?
    I never disputed your exercise statement. I asked why you were a bigot against Americans since many western countries have a problem with obesity. It's not just a problem in America.

  2. #22
    Student The Dane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    08-01-10 @ 07:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    253

    Re: Overweight people should pay 'fat tax' to cover healthcare costs, German MP says

    So your argument is that fat people die faster than healthy people and thus healthy people are a bigger burden on the the healthcare industry?

  3. #23
    Professor
    The_Patriot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    02-06-12 @ 06:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,488

    Re: Overweight people should pay 'fat tax' to cover healthcare costs, German MP says

    Quote Originally Posted by The Dane View Post
    So your argument is that fat people die faster than healthy people and thus healthy people are a bigger burden on the the healthcare industry?
    Pretty much and the study I posted shows this to be the case.

  4. #24
    Student The Dane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    08-01-10 @ 07:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    253

    Re: Overweight people should pay 'fat tax' to cover healthcare costs, German MP says

    Obese people get sick and go to the hospital because they are fat. Healthy people get sick and go to the hospital because disease is a natural occuring phenomena, even in healthy human beings. Obese people can lose weight and change their lifestyle, healthy people cannot do anything.
    Ever have to dance with the devil in the pale moonlight?
    Scales in the grass but the scales don't move right?

  5. #25
    Professor
    The_Patriot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    02-06-12 @ 06:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,488

    Re: Overweight people should pay 'fat tax' to cover healthcare costs, German MP says

    Quote Originally Posted by The Dane View Post
    Obese people get sick and go to the hospital because they are fat. Healthy people get sick and go to the hospital because disease is a natural occuring phenomena, even in healthy human beings. Obese people can lose weight and change their lifestyle, healthy people cannot do anything.
    Obese people die younger then healthy people. Since they die younger, they use less health care then a healthy person over the course of their life. Just because someone is obese doesn't mean they're not healthy. My ex-wife is overweight, but she's at the peak of health. She always gets good feedback from her doctor.

  6. #26
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    04-23-17 @ 05:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    15,429
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Overweight people should pay 'fat tax' to cover healthcare costs, German MP says

    The problem with the whole issue of determining obesity is which system do you use? Are you going to have the government(and by government I mean citizens paying more taxes) for hydrostatic weighing to get the true measure of body composition, or use the cheap but terribly inaccurate BMI measurement and use that as the determination of your "tax bracket"? I have a feeling it would go by BMI, and probably BMI alone. And that would be bad for Germans, Polish, or Scandanavian people who are typically larger naturally.

    But it would work out great for Asians.
    "Loyalty only matters when there's a hundred reasons not to be-" Gen. Mattis

  7. #27
    Sage
    Barbbtx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    W'Ford TX
    Last Seen
    11-10-12 @ 08:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,467

    Re: Overweight people should pay 'fat tax' to cover healthcare costs, German MP says

    This is just one more divide.
    Now the government is going to pit fat against skinny people.

  8. #28
    Sage
    Crosscheck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:45 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,476

    Re: Overweight people should pay 'fat tax' to cover healthcare costs, German MP says

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Patriot View Post
    The funny thing is that it's the healthy people that end up using more health care money than fat people. Link Using that logic then healthy people should be paying more.
    It would be interesting to see which group paid more in taxes to support the health system.

  9. #29
    Professor
    The_Patriot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    02-06-12 @ 06:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,488

    Re: Overweight people should pay 'fat tax' to cover healthcare costs, German MP says

    Quote Originally Posted by Crosscheck View Post
    It would be interesting to see which group paid more in taxes to support the health system.
    I would imagine it would be the healthy people since they live an average of 20 years more then an obese person.

  10. #30
    Defender of the Faith
    ludahai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Taichung, Taiwan - 2017 East Asian Games Candidate City
    Last Seen
    07-03-13 @ 02:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,320

    Re: Overweight people should pay 'fat tax' to cover healthcare costs, German MP says

    While I don't favor a straight out tax on so-called fat foods because that penalizes everyone who consumes them, even in moderation, something needs to be done about the problem of obeisity. And while Dane seems to imply that it is an American problem, it isn't exclusively American. Yes, it is a terrible problem in the U.S., but it is also a growing problem in western Europe and developed areas of East Asia. It has already been noted that Japan is getting more draconian, preparing to fine companies who have employees who don't meet their criteria (criteria that many Westerners simply could not meet). However, a simple tax on these products is wrong-headed. Why should I pay such taxes? I do consume an occasional bag of chips and drink a can of soda and sometimes go to McDonald's with the kids, but there is no way anyone would ever accuse me (or my wife or either of my kids) of being overweight much less obese. This is like using a blunt hammer to try to thread a needle. It really is completely nonsensical...
    Semper Paratus
    Boston = City of Champions: Bruins 2011; Celtics 2008; Red Sox 2004, 2007; Patriots 2002, 2004, 2005
    Jon Huntsman for President

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •