Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 129

Thread: Unemployment benefits extension clears hurdle

  1. #51
    Professor
    The_Patriot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    02-06-12 @ 06:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,488

    Re: Unemployment benefits extension clears hurdle

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    The "real" unemployment rate(which is not used because the other is what has been used and it would be confusing to change)) is tracked by the government, and is called the U6 unemployment rate. It is as of June 16.5 %.
    You trust the government to be honest about the unemployment when it lies at every opportunity? The numbers are cooked since it doesn't include all of the categories of unemployed. Clinton and other presidents have adjusted what constitutes being unemployed. The real percentage of all unemployed people is around 20-25%.

  2. #52
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Unemployment benefits extension clears hurdle

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Small towns always have less opportunity. We still find work by doing just what you say. This town is right between 3 bigger cities(Grand Rapids, Lansing, Battle Creek), and most people work in those places. Guess what...there are not jobs there either.
    There's always jobs, it's just a matter of what people are willing to take. And a bit of good timing helps too.
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  3. #53
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:50 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,268
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Unemployment benefits extension clears hurdle

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Patriot View Post
    You trust the government to be honest about the unemployment when it lies at every opportunity? The numbers are cooked since it doesn't include all of the categories of unemployed. Clinton and other presidents have adjusted what constitutes being unemployed. The real percentage of all unemployed people is around 20-25%.
    Feel free to offer evidence of anything you have said in this post. Challenge U6 in some way that is not "well, I don't want to believe it".
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  4. #54
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:50 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,268
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Unemployment benefits extension clears hurdle

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    There's always jobs, it's just a matter of what people are willing to take. And a bit of good timing helps too.
    Easy to say. If there are always jobs, why is unemployment 250 % of what it was 10 years ago?
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  5. #55
    Sage
    Dav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    04-16-16 @ 02:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,539

    Re: Unemployment benefits extension clears hurdle

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Easy to say. If there are always jobs, why is unemployment 250 % of what it was 10 years ago?
    If there are no apples, how come there's a bowl of oranges right there on the table?

  6. #56
    Professor
    The_Patriot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    02-06-12 @ 06:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,488

    Re: Unemployment benefits extension clears hurdle

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Feel free to offer evidence of anything you have said in this post. Challenge U6 in some way that is not "well, I don't want to believe it".
    Will this suffice? The same information is here.

  7. #57
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:50 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,268
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Unemployment benefits extension clears hurdle

    Quote Originally Posted by Dav View Post
    If there are no apples, how come there's a bowl of oranges right there on the table?
    Does not answer the question. Minimum wage part time jobs are in high demand...
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  8. #58
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:50 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,268
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Unemployment benefits extension clears hurdle

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Patriot View Post
    Will this suffice? The same information is here.
    A) you caused me click on a WND link. That is vile.

    B) he uses his own metric, using his own data collection method. There is zero evidence that it is more accurate than U6.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  9. #59
    Sage
    Dav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    04-16-16 @ 02:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,539

    Re: Unemployment benefits extension clears hurdle

    What kind of bugs me about this debate is that it's being treated as if not wanting to extend unemployment benefits for half a year is the same as wanting to stop giving unemployed people any benefits ever. I'm fine with unemployment benefits (though I'd like to see them be privatized, I know this is unrealistic) as long as there is a clear limit during which time the recipient knows he/she has to find a job. Two years is not only plenty of time, but probably about twice as long as I think should be alloted, at least. Extending that by another 6 months not only makes an already ridiculous situation more ridiculous, but also gives the impression that since Congress doesn't have the spine to keep things the way they are, they might just keep doing this again indefinitely in the future, creating even less incentive to go out and get a job.

    When you pay people to not work, it's a disincentive to get a job. This is Econ 101 stuff. Or maybe more like the prerequisite to Econ 101. It blows my mind that some people are treating it as a fringe, classist opinion.

  10. #60
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    05-06-12 @ 11:12 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    9,800

    Re: Unemployment benefits extension clears hurdle

    I'm sorry, but you know the rules. Now we have to fumigate you. Get in the pot. Yes, I love you, too.

    Get in.

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    A) you caused me click on a WND link. That is vile.

    B) he uses his own metric, using his own data collection method. There is zero evidence that it is more accurate than U6.

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •