Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 129

Thread: Unemployment benefits extension clears hurdle

  1. #41
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Unemployment benefits extension clears hurdle

    Quote Originally Posted by BDBoop View Post
    So everybody gets screwed, based on your family slacker and your presumed "others like him"? And that's logical to you.
    Why are they screwed? I don't buy this line about everyone in Minnesota being all hard workers out there pounding the pavement for 12 hours looking for any scrap of work and not finding it and being FORCED to take 2 1/2 years of unemployment checks. It's bull****. I have living proof in my family - who's also hard working etc.etc. just like good 'ol Al describes, and she's milking the system for all it's worth. If it's happening in my family, it's happening everywhere... hell, why not extend unemployment 5 years - how about 10 years? Oh the poor victims who can't find work... there's work everywhere, unemployment is only 9.5% - in the worst places like Nevada -- 14.5%. Minnesota? 6.8% Oh it's so hard to find work... gimme a break.

    Source: Unemployment Rates for States
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  2. #42
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:50 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,268
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Unemployment benefits extension clears hurdle

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post

    Yeah -- it's "junk". What's junk is 2 1/2 years of unemplo... err... welfare. Here's my rebuttal to Al --- if they can't find work in their field of choice for the pay the require... they'll have to take a job with less pay, not in their field. And while Al's just another Congressman shilling for his political party - I can honestly tell you there are, in Minnesota, people sitting on their duff collecting and perfectly happy doing so.
    Anecdote for anecdote: I went to Meijer's(think Walmart, but even bigger in Michigan) to grocery shop awhile back, and the machines at front of store where people can fill out job apps where packed. Turned out word was out Meijer's was hiring a couple people part time for minimum wage to stock shelves. In my painfully small town, a hundred or more people where applying for those jobs.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  3. #43
    Professor
    The_Patriot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    02-06-12 @ 06:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,488

    Re: Unemployment benefits extension clears hurdle

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    Why are they screwed? I don't buy this line about everyone in Minnesota being all hard workers out there pounding the pavement for 12 hours looking for any scrap of work and not finding it and being FORCED to take 2 1/2 years of unemployment checks. It's bull****. I have living proof in my family - who's also hard working etc.etc. just like good 'ol Al describes, and she's milking the system for all it's worth. If it's happening in my family, it's happening everywhere... hell, why not extend unemployment 5 years - how about 10 years? Oh the poor victims who can't find work... there's work everywhere, unemployment is only 9.5% - in the worst places like Nevada -- 14.5%. Minnesota? 6.8% Oh it's so hard to find work... gimme a break.

    Source: Unemployment Rates for States
    The labor statistics for unemployment are cooked to make it look like that unemployment isn't bad. The real number of unemployed is between 20-25%.

  4. #44
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    05-06-12 @ 11:12 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    9,800

    Re: Unemployment benefits extension clears hurdle

    If, IF anybody had watched the entire video, they'd already have the answers (and yes. They are good ones, based in history, and with citations). One of my pet peeves, as I've stated before, is willful ignorance. If you can't be bothered to watch the entire speech and give the man the benefit of the doubt, I can't be bothered to discuss this any further with you.

    We won. I'm happy. Life is good.

  5. #45
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:50 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,268
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Unemployment benefits extension clears hurdle

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    Why are they screwed? I don't buy this line about everyone in Minnesota being all hard workers out there pounding the pavement for 12 hours looking for any scrap of work and not finding it and being FORCED to take 2 1/2 years of unemployment checks. It's bull****. I have living proof in my family - who's also hard working etc.etc. just like good 'ol Al describes, and she's milking the system for all it's worth. If it's happening in my family, it's happening everywhere... hell, why not extend unemployment 5 years - how about 10 years? Oh the poor victims who can't find work... there's work everywhere, unemployment is only 9.5% - in the worst places like Nevada -- 14.5%. Minnesota? 6.8% Oh it's so hard to find work... gimme a break.

    Source: Unemployment Rates for States
    So explain the difference in unemployment between now and 2000. Is it because people got lazy, or is it because there are not enough jobs? I wonder which sounds more likely...
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  6. #46
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    05-06-12 @ 11:12 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    9,800

    Re: Unemployment benefits extension clears hurdle

    Senator Franken actually covered that point when he said "And the competition for each of these jobs is fierce. It's not uncommon for hundreds of people to be fighting for a single job posting. This chart shows just how hard it is to find work right now. In 2006, there were about 1.5 unemployed workers for every job opening. That number has exploded to 5 unemployed workers for every opening.



    So it doesn't surprise me that countless Americans have just given up looking - and aren't even counted in the bleak unemployment statistics I've been quoting. They've just given up."

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Patriot View Post
    The labor statistics for unemployment are cooked to make it look like that unemployment isn't bad. The real number of unemployed is between 20-25%.

  7. #47
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:50 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,268
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Unemployment benefits extension clears hurdle

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Patriot View Post
    The labor statistics for unemployment are cooked to make it look like that unemployment isn't bad. The real number of unemployed is between 20-25%.
    The "real" unemployment rate(which is not used because the other is what has been used and it would be confusing to change)) is tracked by the government, and is called the U6 unemployment rate. It is as of June 16.5 %.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  8. #48
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Unemployment benefits extension clears hurdle

    Quote Originally Posted by BDBoop View Post
    If, IF anybody had watched the entire video, they'd already have the answers (and yes. They are good ones, based in history, and with citations). One of my pet peeves, as I've stated before, is willful ignorance. If you can't be bothered to watch the entire speech and give the man the benefit of the doubt, I can't be bothered to discuss this any further with you.

    We won. I'm happy. Life is good.
    An excellent choice. Go peddle Al Franken somewhere else.
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  9. #49
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Unemployment benefits extension clears hurdle

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    So explain the difference in unemployment between now and 2000. Is it because people got lazy, or is it because there are not enough jobs? I wonder which sounds more likely...
    I don't doubt small towns may have lower opportunity. Ya know what I had to do in that situation when I got out of the service? I drove 2 hours each way to get to work after borrowing money for a lousy car. My town might not be as small - I live in the NE so with lots of people around even in our more rural area's so it's apples and oranges really. My point is: You do what you gotta do. Then I didn't have the benefit of extended unemployment... I had money for college and I damn well wasn't going to piss it away.


    And to answer your question - it's probably some of both.
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  10. #50
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:50 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,268
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Unemployment benefits extension clears hurdle

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    I don't doubt small towns may have lower opportunity. Ya know what I had to do in that situation when I got out of the service? I drove 2 hours each way to get to work after borrowing money for a lousy car. My town might not be as small - I live in the NE so with lots of people around even in our more rural area's so it's apples and oranges really. My point is: You do what you gotta do. Then I didn't have the benefit of extended unemployment... I had money for college and I damn well wasn't going to piss it away.


    And to answer your question - it's probably some of both.
    Small towns always have less opportunity. We still find work by doing just what you say. This town is right between 3 bigger cities(Grand Rapids, Lansing, Battle Creek), and most people work in those places. Guess what...there are not jobs there either.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •