Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 129

Thread: Unemployment benefits extension clears hurdle

  1. #31
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    05-06-12 @ 11:12 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    9,800

    Re: Unemployment benefits extension clears hurdle

    Okay, from the transcript:

    Now, I can't imagine many things more demoralizing than not being able to find work, not being able to take care of your family. I've heard the claim from one of my colleagues that unemployment insurance provides an incentive for the millions of unemployed to just sit on their duffs and not look for work. I couldn't disagree more strongly. Unemployment insurance doesn't keep people from working. A lack of jobs keeps people from working.

    I travel all over Minnesota talking to people who are out of work. I went to the Anoka County Workforce Center, I went to union halls in Duluth, in Bemidji, in Rochester. And I meet with folks who are literally depressed. These are people who have worked their whole lives. Folks who started their first paper route when they were nine or ten and took pride in doing their job, even when it meant delivering papers at 6 a.m. on a 30 below zero Minnesota winter morning.

    And they've been working ever since. Work is an enormous part of their identity. These Minnesotans don't want an unemployment check. They want work.

    Still, I've had a number of them come to me and say, "You know, if it weren't for unemployment insurance, I wouldn't be in my house."

    One of my constituents wrote to me and said, "I was employed for 23 years since college graduation and now am in need of extended unemployment benefits as the economy slowly recovers via a 'jobless recovery.' As a college graduate with an MBA and 23 years of continuous employment at 'good jobs,' I never imagined even needing basic unemployment. . . As an active job seeker, I have met hundreds of other job seekers and virtually every one of them wants a job and wants to work."

    Now, this constituent, and thousands of others like him, have to hear this junk about how unemployment insurance incentivizes people not to work! I don't know where the Senators who are saying that are going in their states, but from what I've heard from my other colleagues, it's like this all over the country.

  2. #32
    Educator
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    02-04-15 @ 11:02 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    808

    Re: Unemployment benefits extension clears hurdle

    Quote Originally Posted by Crunch View Post
    It isn't even so much taking out of the private sector that is doing this..... there is plenty of money for investment that is being sat upon.
    "Sat upon" in a bank? That is not how banks operate.

    No businessman is going to spend capital on improvements or job creation in this environment when they don't know what new regulation or tax is going to come out of these amateurs to bankrupt them next. So they sit on it until someone comes along to stabilize this government, or they sit on it as a hedge against those taxes and regulations so they won't have to borrow to stay in business.
    Money that remains in circulation (ie any money that is not burned, buried, etc) is never "sat on." You are correct, one person might be holding cash in a bank account as a hedge, but the bank turns around and keeps that money moving through the system, so it really does not just "sit".

  3. #33
    Educator
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    02-04-15 @ 11:02 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    808

    Re: Unemployment benefits extension clears hurdle

    Quote Originally Posted by BDBoop View Post
    Okay, from the transcript:

    Now, I can't imagine many things more demoralizing than not being able to find work, not being able to take care of your family. I've heard the claim from one of my colleagues that unemployment insurance provides an incentive for the millions of unemployed to just sit on their duffs and not look for work. I couldn't disagree more strongly. Unemployment insurance doesn't keep people from working. A lack of jobs keeps people from working.

    I travel all over Minnesota talking to people who are out of work. I went to the Anoka County Workforce Center, I went to union halls in Duluth, in Bemidji, in Rochester. And I meet with folks who are literally depressed. These are people who have worked their whole lives. Folks who started their first paper route when they were nine or ten and took pride in doing their job, even when it meant delivering papers at 6 a.m. on a 30 below zero Minnesota winter morning.

    And they've been working ever since. Work is an enormous part of their identity. These Minnesotans don't want an unemployment check. They want work.

    Still, I've had a number of them come to me and say, "You know, if it weren't for unemployment insurance, I wouldn't be in my house."

    One of my constituents wrote to me and said, "I was employed for 23 years since college graduation and now am in need of extended unemployment benefits as the economy slowly recovers via a 'jobless recovery.' As a college graduate with an MBA and 23 years of continuous employment at 'good jobs,' I never imagined even needing basic unemployment. . . As an active job seeker, I have met hundreds of other job seekers and virtually every one of them wants a job and wants to work."

    Now, this constituent, and thousands of others like him, have to hear this junk about how unemployment insurance incentivizes people not to work! I don't know where the Senators who are saying that are going in their states, but from what I've heard from my other colleagues, it's like this all over the country.
    Al Franken's one sided perspective, full of nothing other than antidotal evidence does not negate an opposing viewpoint.

  4. #34
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:47 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,266
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Unemployment benefits extension clears hurdle

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    Many of the unemployed simply won't do the jobs that are available to them. There are jobs out there, but they're "beneath" them.
    Where can I find the unemployment rate for previous years?

    If you are right, this attitude must have infected people all of a sudden, for the first time in 2009. Or how do you explain that 10 years ago, only 4 % of the US was unemployed, and now it's almost 10 %. I guess we could make the assumption that all of a sudden millions got lazy in the country(maybe something in the water?), or we could go with the more likely assumption that there just are not nearly enough jobs out there....
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  5. #35
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:47 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,266
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Unemployment benefits extension clears hurdle

    Quote Originally Posted by NolaMan View Post
    Al Franken's one sided perspective, full of nothing other than antidotal evidence does not negate an opposing viewpoint.
    I think it counters your anecdotal, unsupported arguments quite well actually. Two people, making unsupported claims that are the exact opposite, I think they cancel out quite well in fact.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  6. #36
    Educator
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    02-04-15 @ 11:02 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    808

    Re: Unemployment benefits extension clears hurdle

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    I think it counters your anecdotal, unsupported arguments quite well actually. Two people, making unsupported claims that are the exact opposite, I think they cancel out quite well in fact.
    What claim exactly of mine would you like backing evidence of? I am happy to supply.

  7. #37
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Unemployment benefits extension clears hurdle

    Quote Originally Posted by BDBoop View Post
    Okay, from the transcript:
    Now, I can't imagine many things more demoralizing than not being able to find work, not being able to take care of your family. I've heard the claim from one of my colleagues that unemployment insurance provides an incentive for the millions of unemployed to just sit on their duffs and not look for work. I couldn't disagree more strongly. Unemployment insurance doesn't keep people from working. A lack of jobs keeps people from working.
    100% incorrect as it applies to my cousin. Source please for "lack of jobs keeps people from working". I think that's bupkus. There's jobs but seen as not paying enough, not in their field, or things some just don't want to do.

    I travel all over Minnesota talking to people who are out of work. I went to the Anoka County Workforce Center, I went to union halls in Duluth, in Bemidji, in Rochester. And I meet with folks who are literally depressed. These are people who have worked their whole lives. Folks who started their first paper route when they were nine or ten and took pride in doing their job, even when it meant delivering papers at 6 a.m. on a 30 below zero Minnesota winter morning.

    And they've been working ever since. Work is an enormous part of their identity. These Minnesotans don't want an unemployment check. They want work.

    Still, I've had a number of them come to me and say, "You know, if it weren't for unemployment insurance, I wouldn't be in my house."
    There's a place for unemployment pay checks. I disagree with 2 1/2 years worth. And as it used to be - you had to show up at the unemployment office and PROVE you were looking for work or you didn't get the check. Does that happen in Minnesota?

    One of my constituents wrote to me and said, "I was employed for 23 years since college graduation and now am in need of extended unemployment benefits as the economy slowly recovers via a 'jobless recovery.' As a college graduate with an MBA and 23 years of continuous employment at 'good jobs,' I never imagined even needing basic unemployment. . . As an active job seeker, I have met hundreds of other job seekers and virtually every one of them wants a job and wants to work."

    Now, this constituent, and thousands of others like him, have to hear this junk about how unemployment insurance incentivizes people not to work! I don't know where the Senators who are saying that are going in their states, but from what I've heard from my other colleagues, it's like this all over the country.[/B]
    Yeah -- it's "junk". What's junk is 2 1/2 years of unemplo... err... welfare. Here's my rebuttal to Al --- if they can't find work in their field of choice for the pay the require... they'll have to take a job with less pay, not in their field. And while Al's just another Congressman shilling for his political party - I can honestly tell you there are, in Minnesota, people sitting on their duff collecting and perfectly happy doing so.
    Last edited by Ockham; 07-20-10 at 09:16 PM.
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  8. #38
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    05-06-12 @ 11:12 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    9,800

    Re: Unemployment benefits extension clears hurdle

    So everybody gets screwed, based on your family slacker and your presumed "others like him"? And that's logical to you.


    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    100% incorrect as it applies to my cousin. Source please for "lack of jobs keeps people from working". I think that's bupkus. There's jobs but seen as not paying enough, not in their field, or things some just don't want to do.

    There's a place for unemployment paychecks. I disagree with 2 1/2 years worth. And as it used to be - you had to show up at the unemployment office and PROVE you were looking for work or you didn't get the check. Does that happen in Minnesota?

    Yeah -- it's "junk". What's junk is 2 1/2 years of unemplo... err... welfare. Here's my rebuttal to Al --- if they can't find work in their field of choice for the pay the require... they'll have to take a job with less pay, not in their field. And while Al's just another Congressman shilling for his political party - I can honestly tell you there are, in Minnesota, people sitting on their duff collecting and perfectly happy doing so.

  9. #39
    Professor
    The_Patriot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    02-06-12 @ 06:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,488

    Re: Unemployment benefits extension clears hurdle

    Yay for spending even more money the government doesn't have. Would someone please take the checkbook away from them and send them to basic accounting?

  10. #40
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:47 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,266
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Unemployment benefits extension clears hurdle

    Quote Originally Posted by NolaMan View Post
    To me it is just a waste of money. Unemployment benefits do not really help the economy. We hear all about how it does because that money is spent, but in reality, all government spending does it kill an equal multiplier effect in the private sector.

    Paying people not to work (in the name of economic recovery) is going to get us nowhere. A line has to be drawn somewhere, and with predictions that unemployment will remain high for the coming decade, are we just going to pay out for ten years? I hope the bill fails on the final vote.
    Quote Originally Posted by NolaMan View Post
    Yes, but government generated demand is a false demand. It first has to kill a same level of private sector demand. There are no jobs (I would argue) because the government keeps spending untold amounts of money trying to "create" them, ignoring that it first elimintes them by taking that money out of the private sector. I feel sympathy for someone that might lose their house on accoung of losing their benefits, but that is just the way the free market works.




    I can dream right.
    Quote Originally Posted by NolaMan View Post
    And by the same token, hundreds of billions has already been spent on umemployment benefits and stimulus for the sake of the "little person." It just does not work.



    In fairness here, many of the bank CEO's that were at the helm for this are gone, and the concept that we have not done anything for "workers who get laid off" is bogus at best.
    Quote Originally Posted by NolaMan View Post
    What claim exactly of mine would you like backing evidence of? I am happy to supply.
    The bolded stuff please.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •