Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 129

Thread: Unemployment benefits extension clears hurdle

  1. #111
    Educator Gabriel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    10-07-10 @ 08:38 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,019

    Re: Unemployment benefits extension clears hurdle

    It's funny now the republican/libertarians are blithering.. "oh we weren't against them getting money". So suddenly unemployment beneficiaries aren’t a bunch of lazy bums, parasites, lowest life forms on the planet .. on and on. Now it is all a matter of debt. But that didn't ever come into the equation when bush was spending money hand over fist and destroying the surplus he inherited from the democrats. Truly the republicans have become the party of opportunism and crony capitalism.

  2. #112
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:00 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,341
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Unemployment benefits extension clears hurdle

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Patriot View Post
    It's the one you cited. I don't care why the government lies and cooks the books. I only care that it does. By using the real calculation for unemployment the rate goes up to 20-25% which is what I've said and used data to support this. You chose to disregard it and you choose to disregard the federal government admitting to cooking the books. Have a wonderful evening.
    I cite U6 when people talk about "real" unemployment rate, as that is usually referring to U6. The series of unemployment numbers are to provide economists with different types of data. There is a reason U6 is considered "real" unemployment, since it is the one that gives the number closest to the actual number if people where to count all people out of work or underemployed.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  3. #113
    Educator Gabriel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    10-07-10 @ 08:38 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,019

    Re: Unemployment benefits extension clears hurdle

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    asking a student a question helps him learn on his own. Its called the socratic method. I am a master of it. Perhaps you have heard of it?
    Umm, boy you sure have a high opinion of yourself. Actually I think you are a terrible debater I am nauseated by your posts generally, they are pathetic. I’m sure I am not alone in that sentiment. I know this is OT but sense you brough up your ineptitude I figured it was fair game to contribute.

    EDIT: You don't ingage in critical thinking your completely partisan. Blabbing about the socratic method.. dear lord.
    Last edited by Gabriel; 07-21-10 at 01:28 AM.

  4. #114
    Pragmatic Idealist
    upsideguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Rocky Mtn. High
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,130

    Re: Unemployment benefits extension clears hurdle

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    Many of the unemployed simply won't do the jobs that are available to them. There are jobs out there, but they're "beneath" them.
    10% unemployment; 20% unemployed/underemployed..... yes, tons and tons of jobs available for the unemployed, why won't they work? The problem with the regressives... they just never can reconcile themselves with reality.

  5. #115
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    melbourne florida
    Last Seen
    09-24-15 @ 12:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,156

    Re: Unemployment benefits extension clears hurdle

    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    It's funny now the republican/libertarians are blithering.. "oh we weren't against them getting money". So suddenly unemployment beneficiaries aren’t a bunch of lazy bums, parasites, lowest life forms on the planet .. on and on. Now it is all a matter of debt. But that didn't ever come into the equation when bush was spending money hand over fist and destroying the surplus he inherited from the democrats. Truly the republicans have become the party of opportunism and crony capitalism.
    Nice spin but there was no surplus there was always debt. Problem is the debt is now at levels never imagined. The GOP wants to do what is right and the dems want more debt. Why is it that paygo is of no effect to the dems?

  6. #116
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,759

    Re: Unemployment benefits extension clears hurdle

    Moderator's Warning:
    Unemployment benefits extension clears hurdleCease the personal attacks or there will be further consequences.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  7. #117
    Educator Gabriel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    10-07-10 @ 08:38 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,019

    Re: Unemployment benefits extension clears hurdle

    Quote Originally Posted by ptif219 View Post
    Nice spin but there was no surplus there was always debt. Problem is the debt is now at levels never imagined. The GOP wants to do what is right and the dems want more debt. Why is it that paygo is of no effect to the dems?
    Bleh.. George Bush inherited a budget surplus and if he had continued on that track I large portion of the debt could have been paid off. The Democrats were not in deficit spending it's called a budget surplus. When the republicans gained power under Bush.. Then he went on to double the nations debt in the course of 8 years. No spin needed when you have the facts.
    Last edited by Gabriel; 07-21-10 at 02:50 AM.

  8. #118
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,747

    Re: Unemployment benefits extension clears hurdle

    Quote Originally Posted by ptif219 View Post
    Nice spin but there was no surplus there was always debt. Problem is the debt is now at levels never imagined. The GOP wants to do what is right and the dems want more debt. Why is it that paygo is of no effect to the dems?
    It was a straw man argument. Dems (and many principaled republicans) howled about Bush's reckless spending. Dems did so because that spending did little to create more dependent dem voters (the main reason for dem spending) while many Republicans didn't like the expanding debt or the socialist-lite prescription drug benefits nonsense etc. Now that Obama is in charge, these same dems are making nary a peep about the far far worse spending because its mostly being used to create more dem pawns addicted to handouts.



  9. #119
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Unemployment benefits extension clears hurdle

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Easy to say. If there are always jobs, why is unemployment 250 % of what it was 10 years ago?
    Not sure why. Everything inflates over time in this country - unemployment probably does too. Bottom line is - if there's no jobs ... not one single job found by someone in a YEAR of dilligently looking every day; calling, emailing, driving, interviews, giving up pay, title, position, etc... time to pack up and move. My mother tells stories of my Grandfather leaving Yugoslavia for Canada for work. I think that's still possible. A husband or wife can pick up and go where the jobs are and send the money home during tough times. We make it sound like there's soup lines in every large town - there's not. Shelves are stocked full of food. Only in the most downtrodden depressed ghetto's and urban nightmare area's like parts of Camden NJ, or Detroit Michigan do we see the ghost towns, the depressed bombed out façades and hollow eyed people. Most of the country is still doing fine - some say because of "welfare" like this extension of unemployment. I say it's just a band-aid on gangrene. Sure, we're feeling okay now, but sooner or later this ****'s going to kill us, and there won't be enough band-aid's to cover the rotting stench.
    “I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on what’s being proposed here, he’d agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute.” - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  10. #120
    I'm not-low all the time
    Kushinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Loop
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,263

    Re: Unemployment benefits extension clears hurdle

    Hey all you deficit hawks, care to explain why the market disagrees with your "we can't afford it" sentiment? See interest rates (both short and long term).
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    "Wealth of Nations," Book V, Chapter II, Part II, Article I, pg.911

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •