Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 24

Thread: Judiciary panel OKs Elena Kagan for Supreme Court

  1. #11
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Judiciary panel OKs Elena Kagan for Supreme Court

    Quote Originally Posted by Helvidius View Post
    don't they already?
    Yep, and i really do not think it is such a bad deal. However when I read people bitching about other people not having children I want to make a point.

  2. #12
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,769

    Re: Judiciary panel OKs Elena Kagan for Supreme Court

    Quote Originally Posted by chevydriver1123 View Post
    I disagree with the fact that not having children makes someone less responsible.
    My opinion

    I just think having children makes one more hesitant to really F up the future



  3. #13
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,769

    Re: Judiciary panel OKs Elena Kagan for Supreme Court

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    Yep, and i really do not think it is such a bad deal. However when I read people bitching about other people not having children I want to make a point.
    Lots of people should not have children. They shouldn't be on the supreme court either.



  4. #14
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Judiciary panel OKs Elena Kagan for Supreme Court

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    Lots of people should not have children. They shouldn't be on the supreme court either.
    Okay so I thought you trying to state or at least imply that Supreme Court justices should have children? Am I wrong in that?

  5. #15
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,769

    Re: Judiciary panel OKs Elena Kagan for Supreme Court

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    Okay so I thought you trying to state or at least imply that Supreme Court justices should have children? Am I wrong in that?
    What I am suggesting is that I worry about people with lots of power who have no reason to worry about the future.

    I also don't like irresponsible people unable to care for themselves breeding but that is not relevant to this topic.

    I think having children is a brake on extreme idealogues.



  6. #16
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Judiciary panel OKs Elena Kagan for Supreme Court

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    What I am suggesting is that I worry about people with lots of power who have no reason to worry about the future.

    I also don't like irresponsible people unable to care for themselves breeding but that is not relevant to this topic.

    I think having children is a brake on extreme idealogues.
    I think a lot of times children make parents very short sighted. Like, "how am I going to pay for soccer camp this week", or "we need new school clothes." Not what is going to happen in the child's adult life but the here and now are the concern.

  7. #17
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,769

    Re: Judiciary panel OKs Elena Kagan for Supreme Court

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    I think a lot of times children make parents very short sighted. Like, "how am I going to pay for soccer camp this week", or "we need new school clothes." Not what is going to happen in the child's adult life but the here and now are the concern.
    I won't disagree with you on that but when it comes to extremely powerful political positions, I prefer parents.



  8. #18
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:22 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,353
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Judiciary panel OKs Elena Kagan for Supreme Court

    Conservatives lately have been cracking me up. Don't pay income tax, you shouldn't vote. Don't have children, can't hold office. It's just an excuse for "I need something to cry about".
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  9. #19
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,769

    Re: Judiciary panel OKs Elena Kagan for Supreme Court

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Conservatives lately have been cracking me up. Don't pay income tax, you shouldn't vote. Don't have children, can't hold office. It's just an excuse for "I need something to cry about".
    That is a rather silly characterization of my point. It ignores the main thrust but then again, I sort of expected that.

    Kagan is qualified under the original standard for the USSC. She is not qualified under the standards Obama and Biden imposed on Roberts or Alito. If Obama wanted a Jewish Leftwing Lesbian he should have picked Pamela Karlan who is far smarter than Kagan and has a far more impressive career-both in terms of advocacy and scholarship.

    Kagan isn't even in the top 15 of available liberals. Akhil Reed Amar is the brightest academic on the left and if you want diversity, he's Indian. He's also rigorously intellectually honest which probably disqualifies him for being picked by Obama.



  10. #20
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Judiciary panel OKs Elena Kagan for Supreme Court

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    I won't disagree with you on that but when it comes to extremely powerful political positions, I prefer parents.
    It makes no difference to me if some one is heterosexual or homosexual or if they have child or not.

    What makes a difference in this situation to me I'm not sure how to explain in this situation. The best I can say that we have a lot have lot of career minded people from Alito to Roberts to Kagan going for this position. I really do not mind Kagan compared to the other two

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •