Page 17 of 27 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 261

Thread: USDA Official Saying She Didn't Give 'Full Force' of Help to White Farmer resigns

  1. #161
    Sage
    Gill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    The Derby City
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 10:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    8,686

    Re: USDA Official Saying She Didn't Give 'Full Force' of Help to White Farmer resigns

    Quote Originally Posted by roughdraft274 View Post
    I still don't understand how it wasn't obvious as **** to anyone that watched the original video that she was telling that story to make a point. Obama screwed the pooch on this one, big government needs to be condemned by conservative media and issue an apology, right along with the NAACP and the Obama admin.

    Now the whole idea that this was a setup to pin fox news is just a bit far fetched, lol.

    edit: Also, if Andrew Breitbart and Fox News weren't so quick to believe anything that shows liberals in bad light then maybe they wouldn't be sitting there with egg on their face. This is absolutely no different then when they had that pimp and prostitute on their shows in their full get up and constantly played that selectively edited video 24/7 when in reality they never wore those costumes into any acorn office and often went in with completely different stories then what they made it seem.

    Add Fox and any other media that didn't show the full video and apologized for jumping to conclusions onto that list of people that need to issue an apology.
    Fox News didn't do anything wrong. They reported that she had been forced to resign and showed the tape that lead to her firing. She was fired on Monday, Fox reported it on Tuesday. How were they to blame any more than every other news outlet. They have no reason to apologize.

    If any one needs to apologize, it's the Obama administration. They are the ones that jumped the gun and forced her to resign without knowing the full story. Vilsack was a worthless and ineffectual governor when I lived in Iowa and he hasn't changed a bit.

    Sherrod is blaming the NAACP for this. She is saying that their statements on the Tea Party being racist lead to her firing. She has a point.

    • "The America Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." -- Alexis de Tocqueville





  2. #162
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,728

    Re: USDA Official Saying She Didn't Give 'Full Force' of Help to White Farmer resigns

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    I just lost a long post which pisses me off.... but I'll summarize because I don't want to try and re-create it....


    The video shown, which the WH reacted to - was cherry picked. I was wrong in my assessment and in the story's this woman tells up until about 16:00 was about all the trials and racism she endured in the South. The part about the farmer was an epiphany - and yes, she walked into it being racist herself against whites but when she found out that this farmer wasn't getting help, she stepped up and helped out more. That epiphany was, this isn't necessarily only race, but it's economic classifications. Poor is poor. Overall - up until 22:00 it was a positive message showing how she changed with help from God and education and experience with people. She recounts at one point white and black indentured servants being segregated.

    So the RIGHT thing to do is to reinstate this woman's job.

    About the WH - they are ruled by fear and I think they are mostly to blame for the injection of racial tensions back into the national discussion. The NAACP coming out and calling an entire group racists - Eric Holder calling America racial cowards and then showing at least some inability to prosecute black on white crimes? The WH administration are paid to be more thorough that us schmucks typing on internet political forums -- why weren't they more thorough and check this story out fully before taking action? This has done less to shake my confidence in blogs - because let's face it blogs are wrong as much as they are right. However, I would expect more from people in the Fed before firing someone. The actions of this WH is more troubling than any I can remember. They are not qualified to run this country the way they are doing it.

    Vance ... I stand corrected.
    And I stand in respect...

    Now that EVERYTHING is out it shouldnt be hard for EVERYONE to see the same things...even if we see them slightly different. Yes...Breitbart should have investigated more. They got that snippet and posted it. Its the same things others do...and that doesnt make it any less a piece of irresponsible journalism. The NAACP...man...talk about being quick to throw your people under the bus. They were in a storm over the Tea Party thing and responded to protect their own arses. Now instead of doing the honorable thing and admitting they were wrong both about the Tea Party and Ms Sherrod they point the finger of blame. Hell...the reality is they did the same thing Brietbart did.The White House pulled another Camden style boner. It shows their absolute lack of professionalism. They OUGHT to be embarassed and ashamed of themselves. Instead they will blame any and everyone but their own actions here.

    Now as to ms Sherrod. I think watching the WHOLE THING I can EASILY say there are lots of things she said that I disagree with. She is certainly partisan and I'm sure we would disagree on the ways to help the poor. But I try to imagine some of the things Ive done and said in my life where if taken out of sequence or context what others might think...and...yeeeeikes!

  3. #163
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,089

    Re: USDA Official Saying She Didn't Give 'Full Force' of Help to White Farmer resigns

    Awkward, Andrew Breitbart an FOX show themselves to be nothing more than tabloids with zero journalistic integrity and somehow it is the fault of the NAACP. Cause it is obviously the first time Breitbart and FOX have been caught doing something like this. The mental acrobatics necessary for that are insane.
    Last edited by Hatuey; 07-21-10 at 11:18 AM.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  4. #164
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    9,773

    Re: USDA Official Saying She Didn't Give 'Full Force' of Help to White Farmer resigns

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    absolutely. only her bigotry is now against those of means rather than of particular skin color
    and i do recognize the time when she failed to provide the full force of her office was many years ago when she was a nonprofit consultant and not a USDA executive
    but what you have chosen to ignore is that this woman, in her remarks to the NAACP takes pains to cite "... young people, i want you to know when you are true to what God wants you to do the path just opens up, and things come to you ..."
    this is absolutely NOT what federal employees are to do in their official capacities as civil servants. her earlier statement about praying personally was fine, as she is entitled to recount her own faith, but she certainly cannot - in her official capacity - advocate God or any religion and be conforming to the standards of conduct required of all federal employees
    her chosen words to indicate the white farm owners were taken to an attorney of their own kind betrays any semblance that she is not prejudiced
    her expression that she sees her role now not as someone who helps people based on their color but because of their lack of wealth is also very wrong. that someone is affluent does not cause them to be undeserving of federal assistance ... unless there are USDA regulations which prohibit the giving of assistance to those of means. show me USDA regulations which prohibit the agency's assistance being available to people of means and i will retract this portion of my opposition
    that initial breithbart video was a hack job, intended to cast this lady in a bad light. its editing was not well intended. but this woman, by her own admissions, by her own actions, has proven that she is not someone who can subscribe to the federal standards of conduct. her willingness to use her public official platform to advocate a religious viewpoint, combined with her willingness to treat people in a disparate manner as a federal official are intolerable in a civil servant
    There's absolutely NOTHING in that video to support your position...NOTHING!

    Mrs. Sherrod didn't envoke class warefare. She spoke of the politics of the time where people were treated unfairly based on both the color of their skin and their economic status, but nowhere in that video did she give any indication that she treated people in that way before or since her involvement with Mr. & Mrs. Spooner, the white farmer and his wife whom she eventually helped to save their farm.

    Anyone who watched that video in its entirety objectively cannot come away thinking the woman was racist or bigotted against Whites. You just can't!!! Because it's just not there. This woman goes out of her way to promote improving race relations in this country. She even advocates that young Black people should re-evaluate their position on race relations and not jump to conclusions. Now, granted it is clear that Mrs. Sherrod grew up in the South at a time when racism and segregation was the norm, and she openly admits that she didn't serve the Spooners well initially, but when they called on her for help one week before their farm was to be foreclosed on, she lite up the phones contacting everyone she could think of until she found the Spooners a lawyer who was willing to file the necessary Chapter 11 bankruptcy paperwork to save their farm. This was all done long before Mrs. Sherrod was employed by the USDA. And the speech she gave before the March 27, 2010 NAACP fundraising event was apparently the same speech she has given at other events around the nation that deal with improving race relations in this country.

    So, how anyone who watched the full video can still come away with this same sense of bigotry and hatred is beyond me. As I said earlier, the only way you don't see that Mrs. Sherrod has been wronged here is if you choose not to see it.

  5. #165
    Sage
    Gill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    The Derby City
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 10:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    8,686

    Re: USDA Official Saying She Didn't Give 'Full Force' of Help to White Farmer resigns

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Awkward, Andrew Breitbart an FOX show themselves to be nothing more than tabloids with zero journalistic integrity and somehow it is the fault of the NAACP. Cause it is obviously the first time Breitbart and FOX have been caught doing something like this. The mental acrobatics necessary for that are insane.
    1. Fox News didn't report this until AFTER she was fired.

    2. Sherrod is the one blaming the NAACP for her being fired.

    • "The America Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." -- Alexis de Tocqueville





  6. #166
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,343

    Re: USDA Official Saying She Didn't Give 'Full Force' of Help to White Farmer resigns

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Awkward, Andrew Breitbart an FOX show themselves to be nothing more than tabloids with zero journalistic integrity and somehow it is the fault of the NAACP. Cause it is obviously the first time Breitbart and FOX have been caught doing something like this. The mental acrobatics necessary for that are insane.

    Oh come on now! The "evil" FOX News? Really? Surely you know that MSNBC has been nothing but an Obama administration propaganda source for the past two years now?

    Liberal groups like thinkprogress faking pictures and video to smear opposition to Obama?

    MediaMatters, and Podesta's group feeding talking points to supposed news outlets?

    And you are concerned only with FOX getting a story out there hastily?

    Get a grip man.


    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  7. #167
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,728

    Re: USDA Official Saying She Didn't Give 'Full Force' of Help to White Farmer resigns

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Awkward, Andrew Breitbart an FOX show themselves to be nothing more than tabloids with zero journalistic integrity and somehow it is the fault of the NAACP. Cause it is obviously the first time Breitbart and FOX have been caught doing something like this. The mental acrobatics necessary for that are insane.
    Not surprising...your vision only goes one way...

  8. #168
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: USDA Official Saying She Didn't Give 'Full Force' of Help to White Farmer resigns

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Awkward, Andrew Breitbart an FOX show themselves to be nothing more than tabloids with zero journalistic integrity and somehow it is the fault of the NAACP. Cause it is obviously the first time Breitbart and FOX have been caught doing something like this. The mental acrobatics necessary for that are insane.
    And let me point out - this is not just Fox or Breitbart --- this has been happening in the media for YEARS. The level of journalism where so called "journalists" actually dig to find out about a story - not just what they WANT to believe but the actual facts, have been MIA for a long time. What some media deem as "not newsworthy" coincides with their editors ideology and not just with informing people of the facts regardless or the ideology. The split between ideology and now -- race is gaining steam and our media who historically has provided FACT based information is now providing IDEOLOGY based information - leaving us, on our own. As far as I'm concerned there IS no fact based media - everyone has an agenda.
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  9. #169
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,089

    Re: USDA Official Saying She Didn't Give 'Full Force' of Help to White Farmer resigns

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    Not surprising...your vision only goes one way...
    Well as long as I don't have egg on my face at the end of the day. How does the crow taste?
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  10. #170
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    9,773

    Re: USDA Official Saying She Didn't Give 'Full Force' of Help to White Farmer resigns

    Quote Originally Posted by Gill View Post
    1. Fox News didn't report this until AFTER she was fired.

    2. Sherrod is the one blaming the NAACP for her being fired.
    It's true Mrs. Sherrod was fired/forced to resign on Monday (7/19/2010) and the edited video presented by Mark Williams didn't air on FoxNews or any other national media outlet until Tuesday morning, but that doesn't erase the fact that FoxNews didn't take the time to review the facts of the matter but instead jumped on the racial slant to this story. Same as any other media outlet did. And considering that FoxNews and their major Conservative news personalities - Hannity, Beck, O'Rielly and others - have all taunted the racial slant concerning President Obama and his Administration since the issue of his relationship with Rev. Wright first hit the airwaves it's very logical to conclude that this network in particular was looking for something to further spin the race issue where the President and his Administration is concerned. And yes, they were going after the NAACP as well because that organization had gone after an arm of the Tea Party movement.

    Again, this was nothing more than political theater that got way out of hand. People, including myself, jumped to conclusions without looking at the facts in full. The truly sad part here is although some Conservative talkshow host, such as Laura Imgrams, has admitted jumping the gun on this issue, I have not heard any one of them issue Mrs. Sherrod an apology. Instead, what I've heard specifically from Laura Ingram since it was on her radio show that I first learn of this story is a constant berating of the Obama Administration and soft-pedalling around the racial issue. In short, Laura Ingram hasn't taken any responsibility for her part in misrepresenting Mrs. Sherrod and instead continues with her "politics as usual" anti-Obama rants. It's pathetic!!!

Page 17 of 27 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •