Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 183

Thread: Palin sparks Twitter fight on mosque

  1. #101
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Palin sparks Twitter fight on mosque

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    Further, will this apply to ALL religious buildings, or just Islamic ones?
    How about just the ones who are insensitive enough to try to build theirs so close to a massacre perpetrated by their more zealous adherents?

  2. #102
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,045

    Re: Palin sparks Twitter fight on mosque

    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    B) It lists enough of them positively to support the fact that there is NO right to build freely anywhere you want.
    That seems odd. If they haven't broke any laws or building codes, on what grounds are they barred from building on that space?
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  3. #103
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Palin sparks Twitter fight on mosque

    It's amazing though, if this was a Christian church being built all the critics of this Mosque would be screaming 1st amendment violation if people wanted to stop the building of the Christian church.

  4. #104
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Palin sparks Twitter fight on mosque

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    That seems odd. If they haven't broke any laws or building codes, on what grounds are they barred from building on that space?
    And here again...I didnt say they are barred legally. But they don't have any kind of positive right to build there just because they want to, either.

  5. #105
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,045

    Re: Palin sparks Twitter fight on mosque

    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    And here again...I didnt say they are barred legally. But they don't have any kind of positive right to build there just because they want to, either.
    So you don't have a positive right to wear a redshirt on Sundays simply because you're not legally barred? That seems silly. I think Ikari is right on this, there are rights not enumerated in the constitution. This is one of them.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  6. #106
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Palin sparks Twitter fight on mosque

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    It's amazing though, if this was a Christian church being built all the critics of this Mosque would be screaming 1st amendment violation if people wanted to stop the building of the Christian church.
    If a Christian zealot group had massacred a bunch of people and toppled a monument, I would be just as disturbed at the insensitivity of christians trying to build a church practically on top of it, too.

    Except, see...here in America, there's probably already a church really close. Because churches aren't all that out of place, being that Christianity is vastly more common here in America than Islam. A mosque...yeah it kinda sticks out and makes people take notice.

  7. #107
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Palin sparks Twitter fight on mosque

    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    How about just the ones who are insensitive enough to try to build theirs so close to a massacre perpetrated by their more zealous adherents?
    The people who committed this act weren't members of this mosque. Why should they be punished for something they didn't do? I mean, for instance, I don't hold Fred Phelps against the sum total of Christianity.

  8. #108
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Palin sparks Twitter fight on mosque

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    So you don't have a positive right to wear a redshirt on Sundays simply because you're not legally barred? That seems silly. I think Ikari is right on this, there are rights not enumerated in the constitution. This is one of them.
    You have no rights to build anywhere you want.

    The whole wear a red shirt on Sunday thing is stupid because it doesn't take into account our right to free expression and the need for the State to show why it would have an interest in changing the color you wear on Sundays.

  9. #109
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Palin sparks Twitter fight on mosque

    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    If a Christian zealot group had massacred a bunch of people and toppled a monument, I would be just as disturbed at the insensitivity of christians trying to build a church practically on top of it, too.

    Except, see...here in America, there's probably already a church really close. Because churches aren't all that out of place, being that Christianity is vastly more common here in America than Islam. A mosque...yeah it kinda sticks out and makes people take notice.
    So it's ok for a Christian church to be there, but not a Mosque? Wow, the intolerance of some is simply amazing. And critics of Islam say Islam is the religion of intolerance, HA!

  10. #110
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Palin sparks Twitter fight on mosque

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    The people who committed this act weren't members of this mosque. Why should they be punished for something they didn't do?
    and yet AGAIN...I didnt say they should be punished. But their lack of sensitivity is a little disconcerting.

Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •