Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 32

Thread: Government says leak detected 'a distance from' oil well

  1. #1
    Advisor BCR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Heart of Dixie
    Last Seen
    12-06-13 @ 04:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    598

    Government says leak detected 'a distance from' oil well

    Government says leak detected 'a distance from' oil well - CNN.com


    I figured that with all the pressure the oil had to find a way out elsewhere, sure enough they have spotted some "seepage"..who knows what that means in BP terms though.

  2. #2
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,720

    Re: Government says leak detected 'a distance from' oil well

    Ruh roh - Whack a mole, anyone?
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  3. #3
    Student The Dane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    08-01-10 @ 07:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    253

    Re: Government says leak detected 'a distance from' oil well

    "If the well remains fully shut in until the relief well is completed, we may never have a fully accurate determination of the flow rate from this well. If so, BP -- which has consistently underestimated the flow rate -- might evade billions of dollars of fines," Markey said in a letter to Allen released Sunday.
    Wow. It never occured to me that an accurate flow rate would lower or raise fines. Apparently they are measuring the flow rate, and then using that to determine how much oil leaked out over the last two months and then fining them based on that. If this number is lowered then BP will get a much much lower bill. This is quite amazing.

  4. #4
    Advisor BCR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Heart of Dixie
    Last Seen
    12-06-13 @ 04:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    598

    Re: Government says leak detected 'a distance from' oil well

    Maybe this is more serious than it looks? BP and the Obama administration are disagreeing on what should be done here, BP wants to leave the cap on but the White House wants them to take it off and outfit it so it can capture the oil in container ships and relieve pressure on the cap. Apparently there has been seepage and what looks to be the presence of Methane gases also leaking out.

    BP probably doesn't want to remove the cap because it could take up to a week to refit it which means lots of additional $$$$ in fines .

  5. #5
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,937

    Re: Government says leak detected 'a distance from' oil well

    Quote Originally Posted by BCR View Post
    Maybe this is more serious than it looks? BP and the Obama administration are disagreeing on what should be done here, BP wants to leave the cap on but the White House wants them to take it off and outfit it so it can capture the oil in container ships and relieve pressure on the cap. Apparently there has been seepage and what looks to be the presence of Methane gases also leaking out.

    BP probably doesn't want to remove the cap because it could take up to a week to refit it which means lots of additional $$$$ in fines .
    Yes, lets look at it ONLY one way.

    Lets not say its equally plausible that the Government doesn't want to lose out on fine money and the publicity of continuing to demonize BP and thus are pushing for a solution that keeps the oil flowing rather than stops it.

    Nope, it must ONLY be BP that has utlerior motives and the government must have a pure and golden heart, that must be the only possible way this could be invisioned.

  6. #6
    Sage
    Lord Tammerlain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:29 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    10,431

    Re: Government says leak detected 'a distance from' oil well

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Yes, lets look at it ONLY one way.

    Lets not say its equally plausible that the Government doesn't want to lose out on fine money and the publicity of continuing to demonize BP and thus are pushing for a solution that keeps the oil flowing rather than stops it.

    Nope, it must ONLY be BP that has utlerior motives and the government must have a pure and golden heart, that must be the only possible way this could be invisioned.

    Yes because the government truely cares about a few billion dollars. When its budget is in the multitrillion dollar range, it truely cares about a few billion dollars

    While BP, a profit making enterprise whose future could be at stake, is not concerned about a fine that could be $3 billion or a $12 billion depending on how much oil was released
    Happy Hanukkah Cheerfull Kwanzaa
    Happy Christmas Merry New Year Festivus for the rest of us

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Government says leak detected 'a distance from' oil well

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Yes, lets look at it ONLY one way.

    Lets not say its equally plausible that the Government doesn't want to lose out on fine money and the publicity of continuing to demonize BP and thus are pushing for a solution that keeps the oil flowing rather than stops it.

    Nope, it must ONLY be BP that has utlerior motives and the government must have a pure and golden heart, that must be the only possible way this could be invisioned.
    Yes, because corporations always operate with the best interests of their employees and the public at large at heart. This heart-warming trust in a corporation that scrimped on necessary safety protocols and caused this debacle is sweet. Misplaced, but sweet.

    However, we can't let anything deter us from the paradigm that corporate America = good, and government = bad.

  8. #8
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,937

    Re: Government says leak detected 'a distance from' oil well

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    Yes, because corporations always operate with the best interests of their employees and the public at large at heart. This heart-warming trust in a corporation that scrimped on necessary safety protocols and caused this debacle is sweet. Misplaced, but sweet.

    However, we can't let anything deter us from the paradigm that corporate America = good, and government = bad.
    Absolutely not. I think the scenario with BP is equally likely. Note how I even noted EQUALLY LIKELY in my post, suggesting that I didn't think the BP scenario is far fetched.

    But nice strawman and rant Catz. My issue is not Government = Bad and Corporation = Good...its that both have the capacity to have ulterior motives and NEITHER are pure as the wind driven snow in this so immedietely assuming and stating the worst possible outcome in the guise of Corporation = Bad while ignoring the potential government side is nothing but vindicitive partisan politics.

    But wonderful argument, it's just too bad it was made against a figment of your imagination.

  9. #9
    Sage
    Lord Tammerlain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:29 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    10,431

    Re: Government says leak detected 'a distance from' oil well

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Absolutely not. I think the scenario with BP is equally likely. Note how I even noted EQUALLY LIKELY in my post, suggesting that I didn't think the BP scenario is far fetched.

    But nice strawman and rant Catz. My issue is not Government = Bad and Corporation = Good...its that both have the capacity to have ulterior motives and NEITHER are pure as the wind driven snow in this so immedietely assuming and stating the worst possible outcome in the guise of Corporation = Bad while ignoring the potential government side is nothing but vindicitive partisan politics.

    But wonderful argument, it's just too bad it was made against a figment of your imagination.
    Equally plausable it is not though

    BP has a far higher incentive to keep the well capped, both to stop any new oil from escaping from the well (which may cause problems by the looks of it) and to prevent an accurate count of how much oil has been released so far then does the government. A big enough fine could cost BP a few years profits, while $30 billion dollars to the US government is peanuts.
    Happy Hanukkah Cheerfull Kwanzaa
    Happy Christmas Merry New Year Festivus for the rest of us

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Government says leak detected 'a distance from' oil well

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Absolutely not. I think the scenario with BP is equally likely. Note how I even noted EQUALLY LIKELY in my post, suggesting that I didn't think the BP scenario is far fetched.
    But it isn't equally likely. That's the point. The only reason you even consider it equally likely is your pre-existing paradigm that corporate america=good, government=bad.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •