Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 44

Thread: Comparative photos of Mount Everest 'confirm ice loss'

  1. #31
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,849

    Re: Comparative photos of Mount Everest 'confirm ice loss'

    Quote Originally Posted by Crunch View Post
    You don't bother reading links that refute you, do you? Here..... try again.

    temperature
    That doesn't refute anything. "Temperature changed before man existed" does not mean that man is not capable of affecting temperatures. There are several major forcings that affect the earth's overall temperature.

    And of all those major changes in the earth's history, are you aware that the current trend is vastly faster than what we saw before?
    The Paleocene–Eocene Thermal Maximum was described as a "drastic" event, when temperature changed 6C over 20,000 years. At our current rate, we'd see that in less than 500 years.

    Quote Originally Posted by Crunch View Post
    One thing a person can count on with you..... you never link anythink to back up your bull ****.
    Because I've done it too many times in the Environmental forum, I get lazy.

    Here, because you like to spam links:
    http://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php?f=taxonomy
    See if any of the arguments you have show up on here!
    Last edited by Deuce; 07-16-10 at 07:32 PM.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  2. #32
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,849

    Re: Comparative photos of Mount Everest 'confirm ice loss'

    There have been speculations about an association between the solar cycle length and Earth's climate, however, the solar cycle length analysis does not follow Earth's global mean surface temperature. A further comparison with the monthly sunspot number, cosmic galactic rays and 10.7 cm absolute radio flux since 1950 gives no indication of a systematic trend in the level of solar activity that can explain the most recent global warming.
    A review of the solar cycle length estimates
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  3. #33
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:31 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,170

    Re: Comparative photos of Mount Everest 'confirm ice loss'

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Well, first of all, in a scientific discussion the public's opinion is not particularly important.
    This is not merely a scientific discussion; it has huge implications for public policy. Public sentiment is VERY important and is why we can discuss this issue on DebatePolitics and don't have to go to DebateAtmosphericScience.

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Rather than addressing the science, you've just hedged your bets by making an insinuation that climate scientists //who are skeptics// are paid to do climate science //by oil companies//, and therefore can't be trusted. That's not an argument, that's plugging your ears and saying "LALALA CANT HEAR YOU." You've just pre-judged the discussion as being already won because the other side doesn't have credibility, and yet you use the word "debate."
    You were saying??

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    To suggest that scientists are unreliable because they're paid to do science is ludicrous.
    It's not ludicrous. If you've actually been involved in doing science for any amount of time, the influence of government is quite clear. Most science depends on government funding. Early careers live or die by whether or not a young researcher is able to write a successful grant proposal. Opportunities for purely basic research are very rare and extremely competitive. If there's a big pool of money sitting around to investigate human causes of warming - guess what...

    On a more general note... the amount of waste is staggering when new appropriations come in and researchers flock to whatever problem politicians have deemed most exigent - there is good science that results, but so much of what gets funded is not.

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    I wrote a post on some of the basic science behind the theory, but nobody reads the environment forum so I'm going to blatantly plug my own writing here.
    http://www.debatepolitics.com/enviro...favor-agw.html
    I've done enough studying in my own area of expertise to know that I can't possibly claim to be knowledgeable in another's area without years of dedicated study. That you "poke around google looking for someone to respond to that skeptic's arguments" tells me you don't add much to the scientific debate, either.

    My problems with the GW issue have less to do with the actual science that goes into it, and more about how it is packaged and sold. See for example the last IPCC report 'for policymakers'.

  4. #34
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,849

    Re: Comparative photos of Mount Everest 'confirm ice loss'

    Oh, so you're not disputing the science. Ok then.
    If it takes me less than five minutes on google to find proof that a skeptic's argument is fundamentally flawed or outright falsified, they aren't an expert.

    Like, you know, when they alter a NASA temperature chart and leave the NASA logo on it, making it easy to compare with NASA's actual data to find the falsification.
    See: The Great Global Warming Swindle.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  5. #35
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Last Seen
    12-26-10 @ 06:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,083

    Re: Comparative photos of Mount Everest 'confirm ice loss'

    Quote Originally Posted by Crunch View Post
    Do you drive a car? Live in a house? Buy your food at the store? Spend time posting on debate forums?

    Practice what you preach before you preach it.
    That's your rebuttal? Trying to paint me as a hypocrite for being born into a system that I didn't create? Individuals are part of the problem, but they are not the biggest part. The biggest part is industry. It's kind of like how they encourage us to recycle, reduce, reuse, even though all three of those only take place at the very end of the consumer chain. There is next to nothing that focuses on the production, shipping, and marketing side. It's basically all our fault, as consumers, that the industry owners don't give a toss.

    Everyone is responsible, but some are much more responsible than others. And just for the record, no I don't drive, no I don't purchase foods that were shipped from 1000km away; I live in a house that is supplemented with solar power; we don't use A/C. Basically I have reduced my life in all the ways I can right now. Can you say the same?

  6. #36
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:31 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,170

    Re: Comparative photos of Mount Everest 'confirm ice loss'

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    If it takes me less than five minutes on google to find proof that a skeptic's argument is fundamentally flawed or outright falsified, they aren't an expert.
    ...because everyone knows that experts never make flawed arguments

  7. #37
    Defender of the Faith
    ludahai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Taichung, Taiwan - 2017 East Asian Games Candidate City
    Last Seen
    07-03-13 @ 02:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,320

    Re: Comparative photos of Mount Everest 'confirm ice loss'

    Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    I regret not being well enough to go to at least the first base camp on Mt. Everest, but seeing it off in the distance was enough.
    I am jealous. That is one place I definately want to visit and see in my life.

    When I was in Nepal, a lot of people told me about how the climate of the nation was changing for the worst. The summer I was there, the Northern rains never came and so an entire rice crop died, and it never happened on that scale before. They were in the process of applying for food aid from the UN. In the South, where it is normally dry, they had flooding and a cholera epidemic.
    Climate is changing in many places -- many for the worse, but some for the better. I imagine Greenland, Siberia and northern Canada would like a little warming. Seriously, here in Taiwan we seem to be getting more sustained rainy seasons and then more heat and humidity after the rainy season is over...

    The world's valley civilizations, like India (the Indus), China (the Yangze), and Egypt (the Nile) are all at risk of losing major water resources once their nations' glaciers completely melt, and they are melting quite rapidly. In the West we are still having our quaint little discussions about whether or not climate change is happening but in those nations the governments are already well aware of future water resource shortages. Actually, the U.S. government is also beginning to encroach more and more into the Great Lakes because of dwindling resources in other areas.
    Other places as well. In South America, the glaciers are melting at an alarming rate.

    For the record, the Chinese civilization was based on the Yellow/Wei River Valley -- not the Yangtze (Chang) River

    I really do believe that future wars will be fought over things like water, not oil.
    You are not the only one to hold this belief. Glad I live in a relatively water-rich country...
    Semper Paratus
    Boston = City of Champions: Bruins 2011; Celtics 2008; Red Sox 2004, 2007; Patriots 2002, 2004, 2005
    Jon Huntsman for President

  8. #38
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Last Seen
    12-26-10 @ 06:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,083

    Re: Comparative photos of Mount Everest 'confirm ice loss'

    Quote Originally Posted by ludahai View Post
    Climate is changing in many places -- many for the worse, but some for the better. I imagine Greenland, Siberia and northern Canada would like a little warming. Seriously, here in Taiwan we seem to be getting more sustained rainy seasons and then more heat and humidity after the rainy season is over...
    Our summer has been almost non-existent in the pacific northwest. Our winter lasted until late June... cloudy skies the whole time, and rains. Pretty much everywhere I've traveled in the past 5 years has yielded some info about climate change to me... mostly from the locals.

    Quote Originally Posted by ludahai View Post
    For the record, the Chinese civilization was based on the Yellow/Wei River Valley -- not the Yangtze (Chang) River
    Thanks for that correction. After I wrote the words I was wondering if I was remembering it correctly!

    Quote Originally Posted by ludahai View Post
    You are not the only one to hold this belief. Glad I live in a relatively water-rich country...
    Ditto that. Although it's a bit unnerving to be next door to the U.S. who could just take what it wants at any moment. I mean, it is kind of doing so anyway under the guise of NAFTA, but it wants to probe deeper into Canada to access the other water rich areas. It's a huge debate happening right now behind closed doors and not many in the public are aware. I think it's being kept on the down low for obvious reasons.

  9. #39
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: Comparative photos of Mount Everest 'confirm ice loss'

    Quote Originally Posted by kaya'08 View Post



    BBC News - Comparative photos of Mount Everest 'confirm ice loss'

    The issue here is, we are in July, and the world over is far warmer due to the natural cycle of the seasons (Northern hemisphere regions anyway).

    The article claims repeatedly the photos where taken in the exact same place George Mallory took the photos in 1921 but fails to mention that George went in June, a naturally cooler month than July, or if this year is on average warmer than 1921 for whatever natural/coincidential anomalie.
    Wow. That's impressive.

    Since global climate changes are natural and cyclical, it's going to be fun watching Asia squabble for water when the ice is all gone.

    I think I'll go fill up my 10 mpg gallon cargo van and go for a joy ride.

  10. #40
    Advisor BCR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Heart of Dixie
    Last Seen
    12-06-13 @ 04:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    598

    Re: Comparative photos of Mount Everest 'confirm ice loss'

    Quote Originally Posted by Crunch View Post
    It is the height of human conceit to think we have anything to do with climate change, and the height of stupidity to think we could do anything about it. It's natural, and it will happen time and again.
    you are so right! Holes in the ozone occur naturally all the time!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •