Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 211

Thread: Catholics angry as church puts female ordination on par with sex abuse

  1. #31
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,777

    Re: Catholics angry as church puts female ordination on par with sex abuse

    This picking and choosing of parts of the bible to follow continue to confuse me.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  2. #32
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Humble Texas
    Last Seen
    06-25-11 @ 05:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,827

    Re: Catholics angry as church puts female ordination on par with sex abuse

    Guy,

    To your fist point, wouldn't it be considered against the law however to discriminate against someone based on gender for a job. Plus the fact the Vatican has done more damage to woman in religion for example Mary Magdalene was not just a prostitute that had been saved by Jesus which the Catholics church claim her to be one. However she would be considered an Apostle, and possible wife of Jesus today, if the Catholics had not demonized her so badly. So do you see my point in why I think these woman wouldn't be allowed back in?

    I agree with your point about the sin matter thought however much I find it kind of stupid that they would consider it a sin.
    Last edited by RyrineaHaruno; 07-15-10 at 11:10 PM.

  3. #33
    Student Tedminator's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    03-07-12 @ 06:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    190

    Re: Catholics angry as church puts female ordination on par with sex abuse


    A Woman’s Place Is in the Church
    The cause of the Catholic clergy's sex-abuse scandal is no mystery: insular groups of men often do bad things. durrr.
    Catholics: Time to Break Up the All-Male Club - Newsweek


    Incoming memo from the Vatican: Jesus, pls tell your mother to stfu.
    Last edited by Tedminator; 07-15-10 at 11:09 PM.

    "Control is an illusion, you infantile egomaniac. Nobody knows what's gonna happen next: not on a freeway, not in an airplane, not inside our own bodies and certainly not on a racetrack with 40 other infantile egomaniacs." -the former Mrs.Cruise

  4. #34
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,024

    Re: Catholics angry as church puts female ordination on par with sex abuse

    Quote Originally Posted by Tedminator View Post
    Incoming memo from the Vatican: Jesus, pls tell your mother to stfu.
    That sounds more like a twitter post.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  5. #35
    Sage
    Guy Incognito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,216

    Re: Catholics angry as church puts female ordination on par with sex abuse

    Quote Originally Posted by RyrineaHaruno View Post
    To your fist point, wouldn't it be considered against the law however to discriminate against someone based on gender for a job. Plus the fact the Vatican has done more damage to woman in religion for example Mary Magdalene was not just a prostitute that had been saved by Jesus which the Catholics church claim her to be one. However she would be considered an Apostle today, if the Catholics had demonized her so badly in the bible. So do you see my point in why I thin these woman wouldn't be allowed back in?
    I have to confess I don't see your point. First of all, what we are talking about is a private church, rather than a typical employer. Title VII of the Civil Rights act specifically exempts religious organizations. You are right that if we were talking about a private company it would be different, but we aren't talking about a private company.

    Secondly, your point about misogyny in the Catholic Church is well heard, but you are mistaken to assume that it would result in the illicitly ordained women or priests who perform such illicit ordinations being refused back in the Church, provided they repented of their actions. The Church is very mechanical in this way, and no sincerely penitent excommunicant will be refused, however grave the offense that led to the excommunication. However, delicta graviora can lead to the permanent defrocking of a priest.

    Quote Originally Posted by RyrineaHaruno View Post
    I agree with your point about the sin matter thought however much I find it kind of stupid that they would consider it a sin.
    I don't disagree with you. But keep in mind I have not been talking about what the Church should do but what they actually are doing. If I were Pope I'd be running the Church very differently, but that's neither here nor there.
    Last edited by Guy Incognito; 07-15-10 at 11:19 PM.

  6. #36
    Sage
    Guy Incognito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,216

    Re: Catholics angry as church puts female ordination on par with sex abuse

    Quote Originally Posted by independent_thinker2002 View Post
    Why would they make a distinction?
    What is this CCD class? It's theological. A sacramental marriage is between two baptized Catholics. It is a marriage that literally takes place through Christ, so it cannot be undone by any act of man. A nonsacramental marriage is any other kind of marriage, between a Catholic and a non-Catholic and technically including a marriage two non-Catholics as well. It is considered to be a valid marriage, but since it is not through Christ it is not permanent in the theological sense, so it can be undone. A sacramental marriage that has not yet been consummated can also be annulled by a bishop by the same principle.

  7. #37
    Hippie Hater
    texmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Dallas TEXAS
    Last Seen
    08-20-15 @ 01:17 AM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3,969

    Re: Catholics angry as church puts female ordination on par with sex abuse

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    While I am not defending the church here, except to say they really can do things like this if they want as long as it is kept within the church(kinda like Sharia law), but this leaped out at me:

    Any one else see a problem here?
    Redress. How is this like Sharia Law in any way other than being a law within the church?
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.

    John Adams

  8. #38
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:58 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,299
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Catholics angry as church puts female ordination on par with sex abuse

    Quote Originally Posted by texmaster View Post
    Redress. How is this like Sharia Law in any way other than being a law within the church?
    That would be how it is like Sharia law.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  9. #39
    Hippie Hater
    texmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Dallas TEXAS
    Last Seen
    08-20-15 @ 01:17 AM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3,969

    Re: Catholics angry as church puts female ordination on par with sex abuse

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    That would be how it is like Sharia law.
    Thats the equivalent of saying we are alike because we are both human.

    Come on Redress. That doesn't come close to passing the smell test.
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.

    John Adams

  10. #40
    Sage
    Guy Incognito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,216

    Re: Catholics angry as church puts female ordination on par with sex abuse

    Quote Originally Posted by texmaster View Post
    Thats the equivalent of saying we are alike because we are both human.

    Come on Redress. That doesn't come close to passing the smell test.
    And you're not really passing the coherence test. Redress made the simple point that both Catholic canon law and Shari'a law are applicable, when applied within their respective religions are only the business of the members of those religions. Canon law and Shari'a are analogous in this way.

Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •