Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 49

Thread: New Offshore Oil Moratorium not Focused on Depth

  1. #21
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: New Offshore Oil Moratorium not Focused on Depth

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    right, the beautiful coastline, part of our environment, isn't a resource. of course it is. tourism is big business.
    No, a beach isn't a resource, the sand is as are the fish in that water, the water itself once you process it, even the grass. But the beach itself has no utility other than a nice relaxing day.
    the gulf is a resource which provides jobs.
    No, the gulf is a resource rich area, everything contained within it are resources. They are not "ours", they are "theirs" until "they" sell the resources to "individuals".
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  2. #22
    Advisor BCR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Heart of Dixie
    Last Seen
    12-06-13 @ 04:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    598

    Re: New Offshore Oil Moratorium not Focused on Depth

    Pretty sure Maher is smarter than Glenn Beck and Billo.

    Also it would be nice if we wouldn't treat everything in the world as a resource, This isn't "our" planet. We are only ants compared to what the planet has been through and it won't be long before Earth chews us up and spits us out, just another extinct species. We can however delay this by actually using our heads. Clearly we need to lose our dependence on fossil fuels, maybe we won't run out in our lifetime but it will happen in our kids or maybe our grand-kids.
    Last edited by BCR; 07-13-10 at 12:17 PM.

  3. #23
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    08-14-12 @ 11:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,928

    Re: New Offshore Oil Moratorium not Focused on Depth

    I don't think Bill Maher is smarter than the desk he uses on his show.

    Ok, well BCR, since you went back and edited your post I'll edit mine.

    Today will be the last day you will fill your car with gas. When it runs out, you are done. Do something, rather than just babble like a typical lib, to reduce our dependence on fossil fuels, starting with yourself as an example. WHAT? You don't want to do that? Yea, I didn't think so, so either walk the walk or shut ya trap.

    Liberals are really good at telling others how they should live, while not wanting to live that way themselves. Case in point, Al Gore and BCR.

    They're good at wanting taxes, tax other people, but when you tell them, "Hey, you want the gov't to have so much money, give them everything you have as an example" they crawfish back so fast they trip on themselves.
    Last edited by dontworrybehappy; 07-13-10 at 12:23 PM.

  4. #24
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: New Offshore Oil Moratorium not Focused on Depth

    Quote Originally Posted by BCR View Post
    Pretty sure Maher is smarter than Glenn Beck and Billo.
    No, Maher is a braindead reactionist. He isn't smart or even funny really, the guy is a wash out.

    Also it would be nice if we wouldn't treat everything in the world as a resource, This isn't "our" planet.
    Everything that lives uses resources, this is part of nature, it is an untenable argument to go against that. When an animal eats it has utilized a resource, when we refine something to gain utility we use a resource, that's life.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  5. #25
    Advisor BCR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Heart of Dixie
    Last Seen
    12-06-13 @ 04:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    598

    Re: New Offshore Oil Moratorium not Focused on Depth

    Quote Originally Posted by dontworrybehappy View Post
    I don't think Bill Maher is smarter than the desk he uses on his show.

    Ok, well BCR, since you went back and edited your post I'll edit mine.

    Today will be the last day you will fill your car with gas. When it runs out, you are done. Do something, rather than just babble like a typical lib, to reduce our dependence on fossil fuels, starting with yourself as an example. WHAT? You don't want to do that? Yea, I didn't think so, so either walk the walk or shut ya trap.

    Liberals are really good at telling others how they should live, while not wanting to live that way themselves. Case in point, Al Gore and BCR.

    They're good at wanting taxes, tax other people, but when you tell them, "Hey, you want the gov't to have so much money, give them everything you have as an example" they crawfish back so fast they trip on themselves.
    I have made steps to reduce the use of fossil fuels in my family. We have a fuel efficent car and we don't drive nearly as much as we used to. We also bike much more. For you to tell me I haven't made steps is just laughable because last I checked you don't know anything about me.

    and of course I realize we can't just drop fossil fuels in a matter of days. Still it doesn't even look like we are trying to ween ourselves of off it. In 1984 the average mpg in a vehicle was 20, fast forward to 2004 and your looking at 20.4! A .4 increase! I'll be damned, internet was created along with the modern computer and cell phones yet we still hadn't figure out how to use less fuel.

  6. #26
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    08-14-12 @ 11:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,928

    Re: New Offshore Oil Moratorium not Focused on Depth

    Quote Originally Posted by BCR View Post
    I have made steps to reduce the use of fossil fuels in my family. We have a fuel efficent car and we don't drive nearly as much as we used to. We also bike much more. For you to tell me I haven't made steps is just laughable because last I checked you don't know anything about me.

    and of course I realize we can't just drop fossil fuels in a matter of days. Still it doesn't even look like we are trying to ween ourselves of off it. In 1984 the average mpg in a vehicle was 20, fast forward to 2004 and your looking at 20.4! A .4 increase! I'll be damned, internet was created along with the modern computer and cell phones yet we still hadn't figure out how to use less fuel.
    You have a car, you can't use a car, it uses the oil we suck out of the gulf. You can't bike either, the tires are made of rubber which is a petroleum product.

    You haven't done much at all. Truth be told, I've done more than you and LIVE almost on the gulf coast.

    Wow, you are a lib. You can't see the forest for the trees. The average horsepower of a vehicle in 1980 was somewhere around 160. Now you have little cars leaving the factory pushing 240 with the same mileage. While the mileage hasn't increased much, the horsepower has increased dramatically. People don't want to drive around rinky dink cars. As long as thats the case, with the likes of Barbara Boxer flying around in her Learjet, we will always need fossil fuels. In 1984 how many options were out there that got the same mileage as a Prius?

    If you don't reduce the need to zero you haven't done any good because we would STILL need to drill for oil! So congrats for not doing any good!
    Last edited by dontworrybehappy; 07-13-10 at 12:41 PM.

  7. #27
    Advisor BCR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Heart of Dixie
    Last Seen
    12-06-13 @ 04:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    598

    Re: New Offshore Oil Moratorium not Focused on Depth

    Quote Originally Posted by dontworrybehappy View Post
    You have a car, you can't use a car, it uses the oil we suck out of the gulf. You can't bike either, the tires are made of rubber which is a petroleum product.

    You haven't done much at all. Truth be told, I've done more than you and LIVE almost on the gulf coast.

    Wow, you are a lib. You can't see the forest for the trees. The average horsepower of a vehicle in 1980 was somewhere around 160. Now you have little cars leaving the factory pushing 240 with the same mileage. While the mileage hasn't increased much, the horsepower has increased dramatically. People don't want to drive around rinky dink cars. As long as thats the case, with the likes of Barbara Boxer flying around in her Learjet, we will always need fossil fuels.

    If you don't reduce the need to zero you haven't done any good because we would STILL need to drill for oil! So congrats for not doing any good!
    didn't you say I hadn't done anything though...congratulations on taking more steps to use less fossil fuels then me, at least we our both making steps. And since you and I live on the gulf I think we can attest to the sheer amounts of people driving big gas guzziling trucks for no apparent reason other than to help a relative move from time to time, cars have more horsepower now but for what point!

  8. #28
    pirate lover
    liblady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    St Thomas, VI
    Last Seen
    03-14-16 @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    16,165
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: New Offshore Oil Moratorium not Focused on Depth

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    No, a beach isn't a resource, the sand is as are the fish in that water, the water itself once you process it, even the grass. But the beach itself has no utility other than a nice relaxing day. No, the gulf is a resource rich area, everything contained within it are resources. They are not "ours", they are "theirs" until "they" sell the resources to "individuals".
    i don't want to argue semantics. the fact is tourism supports many areas in the south, as does fishing, none of which would be around if not for the water and the beach. i don't think it at all unreasonable to stand back and take a moment to reassess our options.

    Originally Posted by johnny_rebson:

    These are the same liberals who forgot how Iraq attacked us on 9/11.


  9. #29
    Advisor BCR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Heart of Dixie
    Last Seen
    12-06-13 @ 04:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    598

    Re: New Offshore Oil Moratorium not Focused on Depth

    also not to mention the general lack of a recycling program down here, I can't speak for everybody but in the general vicinity where I live which encompasses a lot of people there is no recycling. Also my family in southern Louisiana has no recycling either.

    Hmmm, when I lived up north they all had recycling programs that came along with the Garbage truck. Just wondering why the south in general hasn't jumped aboard yet.

  10. #30
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    08-14-12 @ 11:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,928

    Re: New Offshore Oil Moratorium not Focused on Depth

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    i don't want to argue semantics. the fact is tourism supports many areas in the south, as does fishing, none of which would be around if not for the water and the beach. i don't think it at all unreasonable to stand back and take a moment to reassess our options.
    Well, shuck out a half million dollars a day and you can take as many moments as you want to reassess your options. If you're not willing to pay the cost of waiting, then I advise you to not say we should wait.

    PEOPLE, THIS HAS HAPPENED ONE TIME IN 60 YEARS!!!!! You act like it happens once a week!!!! If airplanes crashed once every 60 years would it make sense to ground the whole god damn fleet of planes to reaccess the safety of flight? C'mon people, use your brains!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •