Page 35 of 75 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast
Results 341 to 350 of 748

Thread: Landmark commission hearing may determine future of ground zero mosque

  1. #341
    Sage
    ric27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    06-15-17 @ 02:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,539

    Re: Landmark commission hearing may determine future of ground zero mosque

    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalEvilDan View Post
    You're not analyzing the situation from a rational point of view, with logic, you're colored by emotion. By those you fear, hate, and an inability to look at the harsh reality because the truth is so much harder to digest than the lie.

    You are too funny.
    Until people like you quit pandering to their "religious sensibilities" and acknowledge that it is not a religion of peace, it is just going to get worse.

  2. #342
    Sage
    ric27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    06-15-17 @ 02:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,539

    Re: Landmark commission hearing may determine future of ground zero mosque

    Quote Originally Posted by Arcana XV View Post
    I know, right? Me too.

    And it's the same arguments borne out of fear of the unknown and a twisted view of reality that is completely focused on the exceptions that make headlines, totally disregarding the normal and average harmless majority. I remember when people used to say that all Russians were savages bent on killing us all, and many posts in this thread remind me of that time. I'm willing to bet that not a single one of these people who rant and rail about Islam and Muslims have ever met a single Muslim in real life.
    Heres to all of our brothers and sisters who have given their lives against these ****ing pricks.

    May you Rest In Peace.

  3. #343
    Sage
    Arcana XV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Geneva, Switzerland and Rochester, NY
    Last Seen
    10-22-17 @ 10:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,412

    Re: Landmark commission hearing may determine future of ground zero mosque

    Quote Originally Posted by ric27 View Post
    Heres to all of our brothers and sisters who have given their lives against these ****ing pricks.

    May you Rest In Peace.
    Okay, seriously now. How much are they paying you to make conservatives look bad?
    "Yes, but are you a Protestant atheist or a Catholic atheist?".- Northern Irish joke

  4. #344
    Shankmasta Killa
    TacticalEvilDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NY and Geneva, CH
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,444

    Re: Landmark commission hearing may determine future of ground zero mosque

    Quote Originally Posted by ric27 View Post
    Until people like you quit pandering to their "religious sensibilities" and acknowledge that it is not a religion of peace, it is just going to get worse.
    Until people like you quit pandering to their blind fear and acknowledge that any religious institution which builds a significant amount of political power has the potential to turn that power towards violent ends, it is just going to get worse.

    Christianity isn't any more or less a religion of peace than is Islam. Christianity's time in the sun has, for the most part, passed. That, more than any ideological reformation, is why modern Christianity appears to be more peaceful than modern Islam appears to be.
    I'm already gearing up for Finger Vote 2014.

    Just for reference, means my post was a giant steaming pile of sarcasm.

  5. #345
    Educator
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    01-17-15 @ 02:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    629

    Re: Landmark commission hearing may determine future of ground zero mosque

    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalEvilDan View Post
    Christianity isn't any more or less a religion of peace than is Islam. Christianity's time in the sun has, for the most part, passed. That, more than any ideological reformation, is why modern Christianity appears to be more peaceful than modern Islam appears to be.
    We're not talking about the past, we're talking about the present. How the religion was 500 or 1000 years ago is not too relevant to how it is today.

    We live in the 21st century, not the middle ages.
    Last edited by Opteron; 07-25-10 at 06:09 PM.

  6. #346
    Shankmasta Killa
    TacticalEvilDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NY and Geneva, CH
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,444

    Re: Landmark commission hearing may determine future of ground zero mosque

    Quote Originally Posted by Opteron View Post
    We're not talking about the past, we're talking about the present. How the religion was 500 or 1000 years ago is not too relevant to how it is today.

    We live in the 21st century, not the middle ages.
    History is always relevant.

    Christianity has demonstrated its potential to be a violent religion when it had the political power to go along with the ambitions of its leadership.

    In truth, today's Islam is significantly less dangerous than Christianity at its peak, primarily because it is decentralized.
    I'm already gearing up for Finger Vote 2014.

    Just for reference, means my post was a giant steaming pile of sarcasm.

  7. #347
    Educator
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    01-17-15 @ 02:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    629

    Re: Landmark commission hearing may determine future of ground zero mosque

    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalEvilDan View Post
    History is always relevant.

    Christianity has demonstrated its potential to be a violent religion when it had the political power to go along with the ambitions of its leadership.

    In truth, today's Islam is significantly less dangerous than Christianity at its peak, primarily because it is decentralized.
    You're neglecting that its peak was during the middle ages or 1500's, or however long ago when we thought the sun revolved around the earth and the earth was flat. We live in a civilized and developed world now. The far past is not relevant to today's actions.

    I'm not defending Christianity in the past, in the crusades they were violent. But that is done now and it is not relevant to today. What we are looking at is how are the religions today.

  8. #348
    Shankmasta Killa
    TacticalEvilDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NY and Geneva, CH
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,444

    Re: Landmark commission hearing may determine future of ground zero mosque

    Quote Originally Posted by Opteron View Post
    You're neglecting that its peak was during the middle ages or 1500's, or however long ago when we thought the sun revolved around the earth and the earth was flat.
    No, actually, I'm not neglecting any such thing. I sorta figured you would know that, so I didn't mention it. Sorta like how I didn't that the sky is blue.

    Quote Originally Posted by Opteron View Post
    We live in a civilized and developed world now. The far past is not relevant to today's actions.
    Anybody who actually believes that is a complete fool.

    History never stops being relevant when the subject is human nature and ambition.

    Quote Originally Posted by Opteron View Post
    I'm not defending Christianity in the past, in the crusades they were violent. But that is done now and it is not relevant to today. What we are looking at is how are the religions today.
    Actually, what I'm looking at is what you get when you combine religious organizations with political power, regardless of when in human history the two came together.

    The end result is always violence.
    I'm already gearing up for Finger Vote 2014.

    Just for reference, means my post was a giant steaming pile of sarcasm.

  9. #349
    Educator
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    08-02-11 @ 10:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    915

    Re: Landmark commission hearing may determine future of ground zero mosque

    Quote Originally Posted by texmaster View Post
    How does that excuse the severe lack of religious freedom in Muslim dominated countries? It doesn't.

    And the differences between Sunni and Shia Muslims have NOTHING to do with Islam's stance on non believers, women or religious text that bare any point to the discussion here:

    Shia Muslims believe that the Imam is sinless by nature, and that his authority is infallible as it comes directly from God. Therefore, Shia Muslims often venerate the Imams as saints and perform pilgrimages to their tombs and shrines in the hopes of divine intercession.

    Sunni Muslims counter that there is no basis in Islam for a hereditary privileged class of spiritual leaders, and certainly no basis for the veneration or intercession of saints. Sunni Muslims contend that leadership of the community is not a birthright, but a trust that is earned and which may be given or taken away by the people themselves.


    What's the Difference Between Shia and Sunni Muslims?
    I'm not trying to excuse it. I'm just saying it doesn't make them a danger to us. The differences you cite between Shia and Sunni sound similar to the differences between Catholics and Protestants. That doesn't mean Christians are evil or that they can't be reasonable.

    Quote Originally Posted by texmaster
    Yet not a single Muslim country has a majority of people in ANY poll where Bin Laden is considered evil.

    There goes your theory.
    And that would be exactly wrong. You'd be hard pressed to find a country where a majority support him.

    Quote Originally Posted by texmaster
    And you being the Bin Laden supporter ignore the fact that we pulled out of Saudi Arabia before the Afgan invasion and he still attacked nor were we in Iraq. Your excuses for Bin Laden's claims for justification are truely pathetic.
    Wrong again. We started pulling out of Saudi Arabia in 2003, after 9/11, Afghanistan, Iraq I, and Iraq II.

    Quote Originally Posted by texmaster
    How about we read what Bin Laden told his followers about the real reason he attacked us.

    In 2003 on the first day of the Muslim holy celebration of Eid al-Adha, the Feat of Sacrifice, he began a sermon:

    "Praise be to Allah who revealed the verse of the Sword to his Servant and messenger in order to establish truth and abolish falsehood."

    What does the verse of the Sword say?

    Fight and slay the pagans wherever ye find them, and seize them, beleaguer them, and lie in wait for them in every stratagem (of war)."
    None of that contradicts his many statements that he attacked the Americans because of "their evil and injustice in the whole of the Islamic World, especially in Iraq and Palestine, and their occupation of the Land of the Two Holy Sanctuaries." Nor does your passage from the Koran, which has been quoted ad nauseam without context, contradict other passages that command Muslims to live in peace with their neighbors. It applies specifically to conditions of war, and war against pagans at that.

    Quote Originally Posted by texmaster
    Bin Laden's supporters like you who soak up his lies about his justification for attacking can always find an excuse to continue the murder of Americans.

    You give Bin Laden his power. Terrorist supporters like you who justify attacks on Americans by believing what the terrorists claim in speeches to the West while ignoring the speeches they give to their own people which reveals the true justification for attacking the West.
    If you think crimes committed by the American government would "justify" terrorist attacks on the American people, I feel sorry for you. I refuse to believe that they do. And if you think an American can't be patriotic while still acknowledging our country's mistakes, your sense of patriotism must be very fragile, indeed.

  10. #350
    Educator
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    01-17-15 @ 02:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    629

    Re: Landmark commission hearing may determine future of ground zero mosque

    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalEvilDan View Post
    No, actually, I'm not neglecting any such thing. I sorta figured you would know that, so I didn't mention it. Sorta like how I didn't that the sky is blue.
    Yeah, you're neglecting that part in your argument, which is why your argument is false, not neglecting that piece of information. Of course I wouldn't expect you to understand this, otherwise you would be able to properly respond to arguments.

    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalEvilDan View Post
    Anybody who actually believes that is a complete fool.

    History never stops being relevant when the subject is human nature and ambition.
    Actually, anybody who believes otherwise is a fool. I take it you don't live in the civilized part of the world or you wish to go back to the Middle Ages?

    The Middle Ages are not relevant to the actions of people today.

    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalEvilDan View Post
    Actually, what I'm looking at is what you get when you combine religious organizations with political power, regardless of when in human history the two came together.

    The end result is always violence.
    How is this relevant to Islam, violence, and the 21st century? It's not. You're just stating the same irrelevant sentence over and over.

Page 35 of 75 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •