Page 9 of 28 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 279

Thread: Obama at odds with Petraeus doctrine on 'Islam'

  1. #81
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    In your dreams...
    Last Seen
    05-29-12 @ 02:53 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,621

    Re: Obama at odds with Petraeus doctrine on 'Islam'

    Quote Originally Posted by ric27 View Post
    Ahhhh.....Perhaps you might want to get your tidbits straight before defending Islam. There are plenty of good people who are Muslim, who do not commit acts of terrorism and murder and are horrified by those who do. But their religion, as codified by the Koran, commands them to spread Islam with fire and sword and to kill those who do not convert.

    Islam does not tolerate Judaism, Christianity, Catholicism or any other belief. Just look it up....the definition of peace in terms of Islam is "the world under Islamic rule". Until that happens, all else is jihad.

    There is no peace among differing beliefs so far as Islam is concerned. That's why the Imams never condemn acts of terrorism commited against infidels.
    You know the definition of muslim and one that was used especially at its birth was that it was a brother faith and reformation of judaism and christianity, that ANYONE who submits to god and pursues their faith qualifies loosely as a 'muslim' as well.

  2. #82
    Sage
    ric27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    06-15-17 @ 02:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,539

    Re: Obama at odds with Petraeus doctrine on 'Islam'

    Quote Originally Posted by SE102 View Post
    "Islam in the modern world"

    I can post my syllabus or something :
    Where were the Muslim "in the modern world" criticisms of 9-11? The bombings in Madrid? The London Underground bombings?

  3. #83
    Sage
    ric27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    06-15-17 @ 02:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,539

    Re: Obama at odds with Petraeus doctrine on 'Islam'

    Quote Originally Posted by SE102 View Post
    You know the definition of muslim and one that was used especially at its birth was that it was a brother faith and reformation of judaism and christianity, that ANYONE who submits to god and pursues their faith qualifies loosely as a 'muslim' as well.
    What has Islam done that is good? How many Wahabbi's go out and actually work to improve the improverished, famine stricken lives of the third world? How long has Islam held the throat of the 10-40 window in a death clutch? Islams done NOTHING for the world but enslave, murder, rape, and terrorize.

  4. #84
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,274

    Re: Obama at odds with Petraeus doctrine on 'Islam'

    Quote Originally Posted by SE102 View Post
    "Islam in the modern world"

    I can post my syllabus or something :

    No just the prof would be fine, thanks.


    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  5. #85
    Sage
    ric27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    06-15-17 @ 02:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,539

    Re: Obama at odds with Petraeus doctrine on 'Islam'

    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    Sort of like how there are passages in the Bible about killing infidels, too?



    Well looky there...reading that, one would think that the codefied Christian and Judaic faiths said to kill all those who don't worship their God. Hmmmm....



    Nor does Christianity tolerate any of the others. In the end of the Bible, the world is under Christ's reign alone for a thousand years. Hmmmmmmm....



    Wasn't there that really brutal thing called the Inquisition under Christianity? And that whole thing about burning protestants. And I could swear not long ago Catholics and Protestants were bombing each other's cars in Ireland. Hmmmmmmm.....
    Here is the very simple difference. The source document of Christianity is the Bible....the old and new testaments. Plenty of killin' in the old testament. But if you take the time to read it, when God commands the people to kill, it is at a specific time and place and it is restricted to that time and place. And the only instance that comes to mind was when the Hebrews entered Canaan and were told to kill everyone.

    If you bothered to read the new testament, then you would also observe that Jesus' followers never killed a single person. Nor were they ever told to kill anyone. They were told to preach the Gosepel. If it was rejected, they were to leave and go elsewhere. Not to kill unbelievers.

  6. #86
    pirate lover
    liblady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    St Thomas, VI
    Last Seen
    03-14-16 @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    16,165
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Obama at odds with Petraeus doctrine on 'Islam'

    Quote Originally Posted by ric27 View Post
    Here is the very simple difference. The source document of Christianity is the Bible....the old and new testaments. Plenty of killin' in the old testament. But if you take the time to read it, when God commands the people to kill, it is at a specific time and place and it is restricted to that time and place. And the only instance that comes to mind was when the Hebrews entered Canaan and were told to kill everyone.

    If you bothered to read the new testament, then you would also observe that Jesus' followers never killed a single person. Nor were they ever told to kill anyone. They were told to preach the Gosepel. If it was rejected, they were to leave and go elsewhere. Not to kill unbelievers.
    that's true...jesus didn't tell them to kill...they did it of their own accord.

    Originally Posted by johnny_rebson:

    These are the same liberals who forgot how Iraq attacked us on 9/11.


  7. #87
    Hippie Hater
    texmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Dallas TEXAS
    Last Seen
    08-20-15 @ 01:17 AM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3,969

    Re: Obama at odds with Petraeus doctrine on 'Islam'

    Quote Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
    Leviticus 20:2 Again, thou shalt say to the children of Israel, Whosoever he be of the children of Israel, or of the strangers that sojourn in Israel, that giveth any of his seed unto Molech; he shall surely be put to death: the people of the land shall stone him with stones.
    Wow. One to my 5? And my subject was specific. You don't want to go quote for quote. Promise
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.

    John Adams

  8. #88
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Obama at odds with Petraeus doctrine on 'Islam'

    Taking quotes and texts out of religious books like the Koran or the bible is simply idiotic. The majority of Muslims do not want to rape, pillage, or conquer everyone.

    If anything religious controlled countries have taught us that theocracies are the problem, not the religion. The majority of Muslims are peaceful just like Christians.

    People in the past used Christianity to hold tyrannies over the populace just like some of these theocracies are using Islam to do the same. The problem isn't the religion it is the people that abuse the religion and use it to gain and control the power they have and want.

  9. #89
    Dungeon Master
    Somewhere in Babylon
    Jetboogieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in Babylon...
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,296
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Obama at odds with Petraeus doctrine on 'Islam'

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    Taking quotes and texts out of religious books like the Koran or the bible is simply idiotic. The majority of Muslims do not want to rape, pillage, or conquer everyone.

    If anything religious controlled countries have taught us that theocracies are the problem, not the religion. The majority of Muslims are peaceful just like Christians.

    People in the past used Christianity to hold tyrannies over the populace just like some of these theocracies are using Islam to do the same. The problem isn't the religion it is the people that abuse the religion and use it to gain and control the power they have and want.
    EXACTLY! And in certain regards to recruitment of suicide bombers and so forth, religion is simply a tool used for recruitment and indoctrination, not nessecarily the cause.

  10. #90
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Obama at odds with Petraeus doctrine on 'Islam'

    Quote Originally Posted by ric27 View Post
    Here is the very simple difference. The source document of Christianity is the Bible....the old and new testaments. Plenty of killin' in the old testament. But if you take the time to read it, when God commands the people to kill, it is at a specific time and place and it is restricted to that time and place. And the only instance that comes to mind was when the Hebrews entered Canaan and were told to kill everyone.

    If you bothered to read the new testament, then you would also observe that Jesus' followers never killed a single person. Nor were they ever told to kill anyone. They were told to preach the Gosepel. If it was rejected, they were to leave and go elsewhere. Not to kill unbelievers.
    49 “I have come to cast fire upon the earth; and how I wish it were already kindled! 50 “But I have a baptism to undergo, and how distressed I am until it is accomplished! 51 “Do you suppose that I came to grant peace on earth? I tell you, no, but rather division; 52 for from now on five members in one household will be divided, three against two and two against three. 53 “They will be divided, father against son and son against father, mother against daughter and daughter against mother, mother-in-law against daughter-in-law and daughter-in-law against mother-in-law.”
    Luke, Chapter 12

    And no, the killing in the Bible was rampant. Further, in the books of prophecy, there are two Christ-figures. The smiter of the unbelievers and the Prince of Peace. Both are strong figures and, if taken out of context, could lead one to believe that Christianisty is just plain violent.

    I love how cafeteria Christians take what they want from the Bible but fail to acknowledge the rest. Especially when they want to stand over other faiths and claim superiority.

    Bottom line is...you're wrong. Christians have no room to demean other faiths as being violent. Ever. In either case, it's all about the context of the whole rather than magnifying parts.
    Last edited by jallman; 07-13-10 at 03:01 PM.

Page 9 of 28 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •