Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 279

Thread: Obama at odds with Petraeus doctrine on 'Islam'

  1. #101
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Obama at odds with Petraeus doctrine on 'Islam'

    Quote Originally Posted by texmaster View Post
    Still with the same defeated talking points I see.
    Defeated my ass. Anyone can grab a concordance and jerk random quotes out of context for to try to prove a half assed point like you just. I was just hoping for a little more. You never fail to disappoint though.

  2. #102
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Obama at odds with Petraeus doctrine on 'Islam'

    Quote Originally Posted by texmaster View Post
    Keep it up Jallman. Thats just a starting point

    And yes Christians can say we are less violent in our texts and most importantly in our actions because our book and teachings are far less violent in their teachings than those in Islam.

    Only someone like yourself completely ignorant about the religious texts and complete lack of historical knowledge would ever proclaim they were equal.

    PS. I had far more quotes but I simply ran out of room to post them all
    Now on to this typical blathering. You have no concept of what my fields of study have been in my life and therefore, all your ad hom trying to prove your point by disproving my experience and knowledge is for nothing. Try arguing a topic and you might get somewhere. Try arguing me and you're only going to prove how stupid your stance is.

    But then, you never do learn, do ya sport?

  3. #103
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Obama at odds with Petraeus doctrine on 'Islam'

    The thing Patreus should be careful of is alienating over a billion people. I personally think that the current mainstream practice of Islam is not compatible with western values, which creates a lot of the conflict we are currently seeing, but still, you have to be careful how you word things.

    Sometimes PR matters.

  4. #104
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,144

    Re: Obama at odds with Petraeus doctrine on 'Islam'

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Is that so? Could you lay out how many Christian terror organizations there are operating right now in the world?


    j-mac
    Operation rescue for one.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  5. #105
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    In your dreams...
    Last Seen
    05-29-12 @ 02:53 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,621

    Re: Obama at odds with Petraeus doctrine on 'Islam'

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    I personally think that the current mainstream practice of Islam is not compatible with western values, which creates a lot of the conflict we are currently seeing, but still, you have to be careful how you word things.
    This is technically not true according to the data, most muslims approve of democracy and expanded rights, only about a third or so want sharia as the main source of law (whatever your opinion of it may be). Theres lots of data that contends against this statement.

  6. #106
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,274

    Re: Obama at odds with Petraeus doctrine on 'Islam'

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    Yet again, you have no idea of the concept of blaming the people abusing the religion instead of blaming the religion. Yes, there are people that are doing bad things and they are abusing the religion to do it. That doesn't mean the religion is bad, only the people abusing it.

    Do you deny that people abused Christianity is similiar manners in the past? Does that mean Christianity is to blame or does it mean the people that abused Christianity are to blame?

    Not at all. In fact I would say that there are indeed some Christian terrorists out there, however, their numbers, as well as their veracity in terms of the type of fear that they provoke within their community is so small as compared to that of radical Islam today, that you could say they're insignificant.

    However, it seems that when ever the discussion on the threat of radical Islam comes up some in here would rather point to Christianity as a justification for what is going on today. It is IMHO, small minded to do such.


    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  7. #107
    Dungeon Master
    Somewhere in Babylon
    Jetboogieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in Babylon...
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,294
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Obama at odds with Petraeus doctrine on 'Islam'

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Not at all. In fact I would say that there are indeed some Christian terrorists out there, however, their numbers, as well as their veracity in terms of the type of fear that they provoke within their community is so small as compared to that of radical Islam today, that you could say they're insignificant.

    However, it seems that when ever the discussion on the threat of radical Islam comes up some in here would rather point to Christianity as a justification for what is going on today. It is IMHO, small minded to do such.


    j-mac
    I think it has very little to do with mitigating the threat of Radical Islam... but rather attempting to stop the rediculous notion that all muslims prescribe to Radical Islam, which they do not.

  8. #108
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,274

    Re: Obama at odds with Petraeus doctrine on 'Islam'

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Operation rescue for one.

    Really? What terrorist acts have they committed?


    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  9. #109
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,274

    Re: Obama at odds with Petraeus doctrine on 'Islam'

    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    I think it has very little to do with mitigating the threat of Radical Islam... but rather attempting to stop the rediculous notion that all muslims prescribe to Radical Islam, which they do not.

    I don't think there is any basis for putting that out there as a generalization. it is a straw argument.


    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  10. #110
    Dungeon Master
    Somewhere in Babylon
    Jetboogieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in Babylon...
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,294
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Obama at odds with Petraeus doctrine on 'Islam'

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    I don't think there is any basis for putting that out there as a generalization. it is a straw argument.


    j-mac
    Some people do. But I think the rebuttal with the Christianity argument is that ALL religions have radical elements, I think the difference is... since most Christain nations are western nations, and are rich and have more progressive and better lifestyles those radical elements do not present themselves as often. When you look at the Geo-political and economic realities of the Middle East, the radical elements make sense being there. Since of course it is a scape goat "Well our lives suck now because we strayed too far from Islam" Argument. Which if America went to **** tommorow, would be the same argument of the Christain Right.

Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •