Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 108

Thread: Crist wants drilling ban on the ballot

  1. #81
    Educator ScottD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    06-27-11 @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    977

    Re: Crist wants drilling ban on the ballot

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    What? You must either be joking, or just not fully understand what drilling in the Gulf means for America. The jobs, the supply, what it means for this country and our economy period. Plus you are duped into somehow believing that if we were to stop drilling there that nobody would? That's just plain dumb.

    I suggest you do the slightest bit of research into just how many different countries are there, and how many accidents there have been since 1946 and you would see that not only are we not the only ones there, but that as a percentage, accidents are less than 1/1000th of 1% from that drilling. I assure you, you're not even that safe in your own life.

    'shouldn't be drilling in the Gulf'.... What a joke! Get a clue.


    j-mac
    Only problem with that safety record is that when things go wrong, it does a LOT of damage, crippling entire industries and regions. We should be activily looking for alternative energies that can replace the fact that we get 8% of our oil from the gulf, then we should shut it down. The jobs are minimal, and could easily be replaced with jobs maintaining alternative energy sources.
    Reality tends to have a liberal bias.

  2. #82
    Sage
    Guy Incognito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,216

    Re: Crist wants drilling ban on the ballot

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    You might want to keep with current events a little better.
    Ok, so they might be doing some drilling in Cuba at some point in the future, what's your point? They still aren't drilling there now, and despite a bunch of right wing hacks mounting a whisper campaign to the contrary, they probably won't be doing it at all.

    And, once again, even if they do drill in Cuba, why on earth does that mean that we should drill in Florida? Did I say an oil spill in Cuba would be good for Florida? An oil spill off the coast of Cuba (if they ever drill there, which they probably won't), wouldn't be nearly as bad as an oil spill off the coast of Florida would be for Florida, now would it? Florida can only control Florida, it can't control Cuba.

    Nice map, by the way, it only goes to prove my point. Any drilling off Cuba would be farther from Florida than Deepwater Horizon was from Louisiana. And even if Cuba put an oil rig closer than that it wouldn't matter. If Cuba jumped off the Brooklyn Bridge I suppose you think Florida should do that, too?

  3. #83
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Humble Texas
    Last Seen
    06-25-11 @ 05:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,827

    Re: Crist wants drilling ban on the ballot

    I am not a Floridan as you can see by my profile on the left. However even I know that your economy is ran by tourism , so basically this is a way to save that industry. I applaud the people who vote in favor of the drilling ban, since it will cause less damage to already Florida weaken economy which most of the southern state near the spill can't afford right know. Yes Texas is more like a third world country, because of the religious right fraken things up.

  4. #84
    Student Frozengale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    11-23-10 @ 04:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    161

    Re: Crist wants drilling ban on the ballot

    Quote Originally Posted by marduc View Post
    Gas prices are currently roughly what they were 5 years ago, and if you were to average out the fluctuations over the last 5 years we would be just that...average.. ohh the pain of that steady uprise... or are you considering a long time to be more like a 20 year time frame?

    Oh hey guess what. Looking at that Chart we can see that over the past two years it has been steadily increasing! Oh hey guess what it's going to keep doing that. Just because it was lowered in 2008 doesn't mean that it isn't still increasing. And guess what, the more we pay for fuel the more we pay for everything else, such as food. We saw it happen when Gas was $ 4.00, things like bread suddenly shot up in price. Not to mention we are still falling on hard times. So I say make the switch painless so we don't have to waste money to get going on Sustainable resources. Otherwise all that's going to happen is it's going to hurt EVERYONE once oil starts shooting up. Why do you think having easily accessible oil is a bad thing when we are already working on switching to other resources?

  5. #85
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Crist wants drilling ban on the ballot

    Quote Originally Posted by Frozengale View Post
    Oh hey guess what. Looking at that Chart we can see that over the past two years it has been steadily increasing! Oh hey guess what it's going to keep doing that. Just because it was lowered in 2008 doesn't mean that it isn't still increasing. And guess what, the more we pay for fuel the more we pay for everything else, such as food. We saw it happen when Gas was $ 4.00, things like bread suddenly shot up in price. Not to mention we are still falling on hard times. So I say make the switch painless so we don't have to waste money to get going on Sustainable resources. Otherwise all that's going to happen is it's going to hurt EVERYONE once oil starts shooting up. Why do you think having easily accessible oil is a bad thing when we are already working on switching to other resources?
    thankfully, your opinion on this subject doesn't hold any water (pardon my pun).
    Last edited by Catz Part Deux; 07-11-10 at 08:18 PM.

  6. #86
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Crist wants drilling ban on the ballot

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    What, no more using Vaseline?
    We switched to silicone years ago.

  7. #87
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Crist wants drilling ban on the ballot

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    You might want to keep with current events a little better.
    We can't control what the Cuban government does. We can, however, control what the government of Florida does. Why would you be bothered if Florida decided not to allow drilling? It's not like we could control your decisions, in Louisiana.

  8. #88
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,322

    Re: Crist wants drilling ban on the ballot

    Quote Originally Posted by ScottD View Post
    Only problem with that safety record is that when things go wrong, it does a LOT of damage, crippling entire industries and regions.
    No doubt, and therefore it needs to be regulated, and actually inspected instead of just wavered like the Obama administration did.

    We should be activily looking for alternative energies that can replace the fact that we get 8% of our oil from the gulf, then we should shut it down.
    First off your number of 8% is just wrong. Latest figures show that we get in the neighborhood of 11% out of the gulf, that is equal to all of the oil we import from Canada, our largest import partner. Second, I agree that we should be developing alternatives to oil along side of exploration, and extraction increases of our own resource, making us less dependent on foreign sources. However, this is a long term thing. Viable sources of energy other than oil, and or coal are years, if not decades off from being usable on a large scale, and then you have to tackle infrastructure problems. So your theory of 'just shut it off' is a suicide solution for this country.

    The jobs are minimal, and could easily be replaced with jobs maintaining alternative energy sources.
    Minimal? Last I heard the jobs in the gulf due to off shore drilling and support were in the realm of 130,000 +....Now last month the private sector in the entire US created some 86,000 new jobs, and your boy Obama is out there touting that shows a great job gain, and shows his stimulus worked....Falsely ofcourse, Now you term almost twice that number of jobs as "minimal" because you don't like the industry for ideological reasons...Come on man, think.


    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  9. #89
    don't panic
    marduc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Seen
    10-22-17 @ 04:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,301

    Re: Crist wants drilling ban on the ballot

    Quote Originally Posted by Frozengale View Post
    Oh hey guess what. Looking at that Chart we can see that over the past two years it has been steadily increasing! Oh hey guess what it's going to keep doing that. Just because it was lowered in 2008 doesn't mean that it isn't still increasing. And guess what, the more we pay for fuel the more we pay for everything else, such as food. We saw it happen when Gas was $ 4.00, things like bread suddenly shot up in price. Not to mention we are still falling on hard times. So I say make the switch painless so we don't have to waste money to get going on Sustainable resources. Otherwise all that's going to happen is it's going to hurt EVERYONE once oil starts shooting up. Why do you think having easily accessible oil is a bad thing when we are already working on switching to other resources?
    You cannot even accurately cherry pick a time frame to try to make your point?

    2 years ago would be July 08.. wow look ~$4.00 a gallon.. how about you try agin (hint... try 18 months ago to best bolster your position.. even then that steady increase only lasted all of 6 months)

    Regadless of this, a few wells off the local beaches here that would have a negligible influence on gas prices would potentially be more catastrophic to my well being (and the local economy) than a few cents (or even a dollar or two for that matter) change in fuel prices.
    Last edited by marduc; 07-11-10 at 08:45 PM.
    Law Enforcement Against Prohibition
    Drugs are bad, prohibition is worse

  10. #90
    Professor

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Last Seen
    11-21-14 @ 03:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    2,120

    Re: Crist wants drilling ban on the ballot

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    Sometimes, I just wonder how people think the things they think.
    Like thinking that BP isn't responsible for the **** they unleashed upon the people who rely on the Gulf for their livings? Because that's pretty freakin' crazy.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •