Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 108

Thread: Crist wants drilling ban on the ballot

  1. #51
    Student Frozengale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    11-23-10 @ 04:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    161

    Re: Crist wants drilling ban on the ballot

    Quote Originally Posted by marduc View Post
    You are trying to set up a straw man here and you are wrong.

    to continue with analogies

    I would rather no one got dirty, but if someone else decides to let pigs wallow in their yard to make a few bucks selling ham, that does not mean that I have to as well. They have their product to sell and their, means of income for their household, if they decide to not want to be in that business so be it the cost of bacon would go up, and It would likely pressure people to have more pancakes and less bacon. Our household has other ways of making money and we do not need the pigs.
    I'm not setting up a straw man. I'm LEGITIMATELY asking. If I was trying to set up a straw man I wouldn't come right out and ask you. The thing is it WOULD be nice if we didn't have to deal with oil, but right now we are kind of dependent on the stuff. And someone will drill offshore, and you will reap the benefit once we buy it. And that just seems blatantly hypocritical to me. You still want the product but YOU aren't willing to take the risk of something going wrong, but you are willing to let others take the risk for the same outcome (albeit at a higher price for you). Your still demanding the supply so suppliers will go get it. I can understand wanting to keep Florida and other tourist intensive areas clean, but if you want the product then take the risk that comes with it.

  2. #52
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,689

    Re: Crist wants drilling ban on the ballot

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    From the Miami Herald



    I for one am thrilled about this. One thing Florida definitely does not need is a repeat of this oil spill. Of course, Florida already bans offshore drilling, but a constitutional amendment is probably the best way to preserve the lesson from this tragedy and protect Florida's beaches from a future of short sighted oil-drilling.

    Of course, this is being turned into a Republican talking point, to be used as a bludgeon against Crist in his upcoming Senate race against tea party hack Marco Rubio. What else is new. But I don't think it will work, the people of Florida know what is in their best interest and Crist really is looking out for the state here.
    Ah...the joy of politics...from 2006 to 2009 democrats tried to destroy Crist, going so far as to out him as being a closeted homosexual. Liberal filmmakers included him in a documentary. Then when he loses and decided to run as an independent the dems embrace him as the only real hope of defeating the republican running...because no democrat they can put forward is worth a dman...and now he is the darling.

    Crist is using the drilling issue (umm...isnt offshore drilling already capped and banned in Florida?) as a ploy to turn people out to vote. Its political posturing...nothing more.

  3. #53
    don't panic
    marduc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Seen
    10-22-17 @ 04:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,301

    Re: Crist wants drilling ban on the ballot

    Quote Originally Posted by Frozengale View Post
    I'm not setting up a straw man. I'm LEGITIMATELY asking. If I was trying to set up a straw man I wouldn't come right out and ask you. The thing is it WOULD be nice if we didn't have to deal with oil, but right now we are kind of dependent on the stuff. And someone will drill offshore, and you will reap the benefit once we buy it. And that just seems blatantly hypocritical to me. You still want the product but YOU aren't willing to take the risk of something going wrong, but you are willing to let others take the risk for the same outcome (albeit at a higher price for you). Your still demanding the supply so suppliers will go get it. I can understand wanting to keep Florida and other tourist intensive areas clean, but if you want the product then take the risk that comes with it.
    And here is that straw man you were not trying to set up
    Law Enforcement Against Prohibition
    Drugs are bad, prohibition is worse

  4. #54
    Sage
    Guy Incognito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,216

    Re: Crist wants drilling ban on the ballot

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    Crist is using the drilling issue (umm...isnt offshore drilling already capped and banned in Florida?) as a ploy to turn people out to vote. Its political posturing...nothing more.
    I never had an issue with Crist before he went independent, apart from that awful tan. I don't even care if he's secretly gay, that's his business. But it takes real guts for a Republican to go against the Tea Party madness, and Crist showed true integrity. Imagine that, a politician representing the real interests of Floridians to get Floridians to vote for him. What an opportunist.

  5. #55
    Student Frozengale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    11-23-10 @ 04:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    161

    Re: Crist wants drilling ban on the ballot

    Quote Originally Posted by marduc View Post
    And here is that straw man you were not trying to set up
    Well is it true or not? You keep avoiding the question and saying it is a straw man! Either you DO want the product and are willing to take the risk. You want the product and don't want to take the risk, but don't mind if others do. You want the product but don't want anyone to take the risk. Or you don't want the product. By what you've said all I can assume is the second and you haven't said against that. That isn't a straw man if it is what you ACTUALLY believe, and you haven't given anything to go against it.

  6. #56
    don't panic
    marduc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Seen
    10-22-17 @ 04:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,301

    Re: Crist wants drilling ban on the ballot

    Quote Originally Posted by Frozengale View Post
    Well is it true or not? You keep avoiding the question and saying it is a straw man! Either you DO want the product and are willing to take the risk. You want the product and don't want to take the risk, but don't mind if others do. You want the product but don't want anyone to take the risk. Or you don't want the product. By what you've said all I can assume is the second and you haven't said against that. That isn't a straw man if it is what you ACTUALLY believe, and you haven't given anything to go against it.
    did you miss this:

    I would rather no one got dirty
    anyhow it is a straw man because it is something I have not argued, nor did Catz when you used it on her, this entire argument is one of your own making, and actually what we believe is irrelevant to whether or not it is a straw man, it is not an argument either of us made yet you keep trying to pin it on us.
    Law Enforcement Against Prohibition
    Drugs are bad, prohibition is worse

  7. #57
    Student Frozengale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    11-23-10 @ 04:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    161

    Re: Crist wants drilling ban on the ballot

    Quote Originally Posted by marduc View Post
    did you miss this:



    anyhow it is a straw man because it is something I have not argued, nor did Catz when you used it on her, this entire argument is one of your own making, and actually what we believe is irrelevant to whether or not it is a straw man, it is not an argument either of us made yet you keep trying to pin it on us.
    I'm asking a question! I'm stating facts. And all you do is blah blah blah strawman!

    Fact: We NEED Oil! (This is not debatable unless you know of a way that we can be off of Oil this very second)
    Fact: We get oil from several different countries including our own drilling locations.
    Fact: If we stop our offshore drilling efforts there will still be offshore drilling efforts.
    Fact: If we stop our offshore drilling efforts we will have less oil
    Therefore: It makes sense to conclude that we will still be participating in offshore drilling indirectly by buying from these sources, therefore WE HAVEN'T SOLVED THE PROBLEM OF OFFSHORE DRILLING!

    Catz made the suggestion that yes we can have people pay the price themselves and this will help alleviate how much money we spend on oil, allowing us to spend more time and money on alternative energy sources. But that doesn't change the problem that we will still be participating in offshore drilling, we just run the risk of getting others dirty! (And I wish you would pay attention to that RISK thing, you act as if it is cold hard fact that a drilling rig means huge disaster, just because we have a rig outside Florida doesn't mean Florida is suddenly all oil-y) And if we are willing to run the risk of getting others dirty while still participating (albeit indirectly) in offshore drilling then it is hypocritical.

  8. #58
    don't panic
    marduc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Seen
    10-22-17 @ 04:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,301

    Re: Crist wants drilling ban on the ballot

    Quote Originally Posted by Frozengale View Post
    I'm asking a question! I'm stating facts. And all you do is blah blah blah strawman!

    Fact: We NEED Oil! (This is not debatable unless you know of a way that we can be off of Oil this very second)
    Fact: We get oil from several different countries including our own drilling locations.
    Fact: If we stop our offshore drilling efforts there will still be offshore drilling efforts.
    Fact: If we stop our offshore drilling efforts we will have less oil
    Therefore: It makes sense to conclude that we will still be participating in offshore drilling indirectly by buying from these sources, therefore WE HAVEN'T SOLVED THE PROBLEM OF OFFSHORE DRILLING!

    Catz made the suggestion that yes we can have people pay the price themselves and this will help alleviate how much money we spend on oil, allowing us to spend more time and money on alternative energy sources. But that doesn't change the problem that we will still be participating in offshore drilling, we just run the risk of getting others dirty! (And I wish you would pay attention to that RISK thing, you act as if it is cold hard fact that a drilling rig means huge disaster, just because we have a rig outside Florida doesn't mean Florida is suddenly all oil-y) And if we are willing to run the risk of getting others dirty while still participating (albeit indirectly) in offshore drilling then it is hypocritical.
    Just because there is demand does not mean that we have to supply. and I never made any claims on the probabilities of a disaster occurring whatsoever, again with the straw men.

    The only arguments either of us are making revolve around a question that she asked you a couple of times, yet you still have not answered:

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    why, as a libertarian, you are so opposed to letting Floridians decide, for ourselves, whether we want drilling off our coasts.
    Just because it is there and others will do it if we do not does not mean that we need to do it as well. I have a couple of huge oak trees in my yard, and their is demand for oak wood, it is still my choice whether or not I want to chop them down and sell them, and just because I choose to not chop down my trees because I deem the shade they provide to be more beneficial, does not mean that my neighbor is not entitled to chop down their trees and sell them if they so decide -even if I may not like it and I happen to have an oak table.
    Last edited by marduc; 07-09-10 at 05:33 PM.
    Law Enforcement Against Prohibition
    Drugs are bad, prohibition is worse

  9. #59
    Student Frozengale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    11-23-10 @ 04:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    161

    Re: Crist wants drilling ban on the ballot

    I did answer it.

    Because I think it's a stupid idea.

    (Just because I'm Libertarian means I don't get to try to convince people something is a bad idea? It's nothing new to try to convince other people of your way of thinking despite your political lean)

    We'll be supporting offshore drilling either way. So why not make it so we don't have to spend so much money to get it. Less money we spend to get it more money we can invest in other sources of cleaner energy, and the more self-reliant we are. Also it means we can regulate it ourselves and have less chance of something like the BP Oil Spill happening again.
    Last edited by Frozengale; 07-09-10 at 05:39 PM.

  10. #60
    don't panic
    marduc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Seen
    10-22-17 @ 04:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,301

    Re: Crist wants drilling ban on the ballot

    Quote Originally Posted by Frozengale View Post
    I did answer it.

    Because I think it's a stupid idea.

    (Just because I'm Libertarian means I don't get to try to convince people something is a bad idea? It's nothing new to try to convince other people of your way of thinking despite your political lean)

    We'll be supporting offshore drilling either way. So why not make it so we don't have to spend so much money to get it. Less money we spend to get it more money we can invest in other sources of cleaner energy.
    the less mony we spend to get it, the less we think and/or care about exploring other sources or conserving it.
    Law Enforcement Against Prohibition
    Drugs are bad, prohibition is worse

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •