Page 5 of 43 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 429

Thread: Federal Gay Marriage Ban Is Ruled Unconstitutional

  1. #41
    Goddess of Bacon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Last Seen
    05-28-12 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,988

    Re: Federal Gay Marriage Ban is Ruled Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Automatic inheritance, spousal privilege, hospital visitation, and all the other rights gays are fighting for.
    Marriage is not required for that. And those aren't rights.

  2. #42
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Federal Gay Marriage Ban is Ruled Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    So if Utah is cool with polygamy, and a dude with his four wives moves to Kentucky, does Kentucky have to acknowledge their marriage, too?
    As I understand it, yes. Kentucky doesn't have to issue polygamist licenses if they don't want, but they have to recognize another state's license.

  3. #43
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Federal Gay Marriage Ban is Ruled Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
    Marriage is not required for that. And those aren't rights.
    I've tried telling pro-gm that many times before. They don't accept it.

  4. #44
    Sage
    Erod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Last Seen
    12-16-17 @ 11:47 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,073

    Re: Federal Gay Marriage Ban is Ruled Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    As I understand it, yes. Kentucky doesn't have to issue polygamist licenses if they don't want, but they have to recognize another state's license.
    So what if a guy wants to marry his mother.....or his brother?

  5. #45
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Federal Gay Marriage Ban is Ruled Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    So what if a guy wants to marry his mother.....or his brother?
    I need you to be more specific with your question.

  6. #46
    Goddess of Bacon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Last Seen
    05-28-12 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,988

    Re: Federal Gay Marriage Ban is Ruled Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    I've tried telling pro-gm that many times before. They don't accept it.
    OMFG

    Do you not comprehend the difference between state involvement in something and banning something, the state's non-involvement in something and not banning it?

    We're talking two different things here. As long as the state is involved, then they need to do so fairly. Banning certain people from entering into contracts based on race, gender, religion, etc can NOT be allowed to continue by our own government. We, as a people, cannot continue to allow such discrimination to happen.

    But, if the state removed itself from it altogether, the right would be free to every single person in the country regardless of race, gender, religion, etc. Everyone could get married, any time they want. The state is not infringing on any rights or turning their backs on them because they are not involved. They don't NEED to be involved. Individuals can handle things themselves. We don't need big brother holding our hands.

    But as long as they ARE involved, they need to be involved fairly. Currently, it is not done fairly. It is blatant discrimination and that cannot be tolerated. We can't tell women that they're free to marry women sans the state and jump through hoops to get privileges that are freely given to others any more than we could tell blacks to do that, or protestants to do that, or wiccans to do that.

  7. #47
    Sage
    Erod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Last Seen
    12-16-17 @ 11:47 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,073

    Re: Federal Gay Marriage Ban is Ruled Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    I need you to be more specific with your question.
    Just trying to prepare myself.

    If Massachusetts rules that gay marriage is legal, Utah rules that polygamy is legal, California rules that man can marry his mother or his brother, and New York changes the legal marrying age to 13 and 70-year-old man can marry a 13-year-old boy........

    Do I have to recognize these marriages in Texas if they all move here?

  8. #48
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Federal Gay Marriage Ban is Ruled Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
    OMFG

    Do you not comprehend the difference between state involvement in something and banning something, the state's non-involvement in something and not banning it?

    We're talking two different things here. As long as the state is involved, then they need to do so fairly. Banning certain people from entering into contracts based on race, gender, religion, etc can NOT be allowed to continue by our own government. We, as a people, cannot continue to allow such discrimination to happen.
    Sure no problem.

    Quote Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
    But, if the state removed itself from it altogether, the right would be free to every single person in the country regardless of race, gender, religion, etc. Everyone could get married, any time they want. The state is not infringing on any rights or turning their backs on them because they are not involved. They don't NEED to be involved. Individuals can handle things themselves. We don't need big brother holding our hands.
    Until you want something legally enforced, then you have a problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
    But as long as they ARE involved, they need to be involved fairly. Currently, it is not done fairly. It is blatant discrimination and that cannot be tolerated. We can't tell women that they're free to marry women sans the state and jump through hoops to get privileges that are freely given to others any more than we could tell blacks to do that, or protestants to do that, or wiccans to do that.
    Sure, no problem.

    Same-sex marriages are welcome as a variant on the theme just as humanity has welcomed many other variations of marriage.
    Last edited by Jerry; 07-09-10 at 01:03 PM.

  9. #49
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Federal Gay Marriage Ban is Ruled Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    Just trying to prepare myself.

    If Massachusetts rules that gay marriage is legal, Utah rules that polygamy is legal, California rules that man can marry his mother or his brother, and New York changes the legal marrying age to 13 and 70-year-old man can marry a 13-year-old boy........

    Do I have to recognize these marriages in Texas if they all move here?
    Just as all these states have to recognize the concealed weapons permits of all the Texas residents who subsequently move out, yes.

  10. #50
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Federal Gay Marriage Ban is Ruled Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    Do I have to recognize these marriages in Texas if they all move here?
    You as an individual are not legally required to recognize any marriages.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

Page 5 of 43 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •