Page 3 of 43 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 429

Thread: Federal Gay Marriage Ban Is Ruled Unconstitutional

  1. #21
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Federal Gay Marriage Ban is Ruled Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by peepnklown View Post
    The state and federal/national government should get out of the marriage business.
    It should be all about civil unions for all aka contracts.
    Yeah see that doesn't make any sense.

  2. #22
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: Federal Gay Marriage Ban Is Ruled Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
    The concept is the same. If the state's laws do not coincide with another state's law, they do not have to recognize the document as valid.
    Wrong.

    And welcome to the Full Faith and Credit Clause of the US Constitution:

    Article IV - The States
    Section 1 - Each State to Honor all others

    Full Faith and Credit shall be given in each State to the public Acts, Records, and judicial Proceedings of every other State. And the Congress may by general Laws prescribe the Manner in which such Acts, Records and Proceedings shall be proved, and the Effect thereof.
    If Massachusetts says Bill and Bob are married, then California, Hawaii, and Kansas have to treat that marriages as no less valid than any marriage between a man and a woman in their state.

    PERIOD.

    To permit any state to treat any other state's marriage differently based on the sex of the pair requires a Constitutional amendment.

  3. #23
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Federal Gay Marriage Ban Is Ruled Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    Wrong.

    And welcome to the Full Faith and Credit Clause of the US Constitution:



    If Massachusetts says Bill and Bob are married, then California, Hawaii, and Kansas have to treat that marriages as no less valid than any marriage between a man and a woman in their state.

    PERIOD.

    To permit any state to treat any other state's marriage differently based on the sex of the pair requires a Constitutional amendment.
    Then they have to treat my CCW the same, also.

  4. #24
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: Federal Gay Marriage Ban Is Ruled Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Then they have to treat my CCW the same, also.
    I deliberately deleted a comment I made to that effect because I didn't want to get side tracked.

    You're 100% correct.

    A CCW permit is no different than state issued driver's licences.

  5. #25
    Frankernaut peepnklown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    10-16-15 @ 04:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    607

    Re: Federal Gay Marriage Ban is Ruled Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Yeah see that doesn't make any sense.
    It’s very simple.
    It’s about legal vs. tradition.
    The state would deal with the civil (contractual, testamentary, and mandatory) aspects only.
    The marriage part is only customary, traditional or religious and is up the people involved, their families and their community (be it church or whatever group).
    'The whole universe is going to die!'

  6. #26
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: Federal Gay Marriage Ban is Ruled Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Yeah see that doesn't make any sense.
    Because....?

  7. #27
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Federal Gay Marriage Ban Is Ruled Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    I deliberately deleted a comment I made to that effect because I didn't want to get side tracked.

    You're 100% correct.

    A CCW permit is no different than state issued driver's licences.
    Except that driving is not a right whereas the right to keep and bear, like the right to marry, are rights.

  8. #28
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Federal Gay Marriage Ban is Ruled Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by peepnklown View Post
    It’s very simple.
    It’s about legal vs. tradition.
    The state would deal with the civil (contractual, testamentary, and mandatory) aspects only.
    The marriage part is only customary, traditional or religious and is up the people involved, their families and their community (be it church or whatever group).
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Because....?
    That's all the state deals with now...soooo...changing the name is pointless.

    You're saying the state shouldn't recognize what has been ruled to be a Fundamental Right, that the state should leave this right to private entities and not protect it.

    What other rights do you suppose the State shouldn't protect?
    Last edited by Jerry; 07-09-10 at 12:21 PM.

  9. #29
    Goddess of Bacon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Last Seen
    05-28-12 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,988

    Re: Federal Gay Marriage Ban is Ruled Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    That's all the state deals with now...soooo...changing the name is pointless.

    You're saying the state shouldn't recognize what has been ruled to be a Fundamental Right, that the state should leave this right to private entities and not protect it.

    What other rights do you suppose the State shouldn't protect?
    It doesn't need protecting. The state doesn't need to be involved in any way, shape, or form. Anyone can go get married any time they wish, and exercise their "right" to do so. They can do that without the state's involvement. In fact, the best way to ENSURE that everyone has said rights fairly is to remove the state's involvement.

  10. #30
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Federal Gay Marriage Ban is Ruled Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
    It doesn't need protecting. The state doesn't need to be involved in any way, shape, or form. Anyone can go get married any time they wish, and exercise their "right" to do so. They can do that without the state's involvement. In fact, the best way to ENSURE that everyone has said rights fairly is to remove the state's involvement.
    Well yeah until you want automatic inheritance, tax deduction, hospital visitation, spousal privilege or any of the other rights and privileges provided for marriage.
    Last edited by Jerry; 07-09-10 at 12:37 PM.

Page 3 of 43 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •