Page 26 of 43 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast
Results 251 to 260 of 429

Thread: Federal Gay Marriage Ban Is Ruled Unconstitutional

  1. #251
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: Federal Gay Marriage Ban Is Ruled Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    I did not make any argument against polygamy. This has been pointed out repeatedly in this thread.

    I certainly can pick what should be equal and what should not. A brick is not equally as heavy as a feather. I don't have to support the concept both are equal. Under the law, convicted felons are less equal than those who are not. I do not have to argue otherwise.
    No. A one ounce brick is equally heavy as a one ounce feather.

  2. #252
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,803

    Re: Federal Gay Marriage Ban Is Ruled Unconstitutional

    Scarecrow, somebody needs to introduce you to the multiquote button.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  3. #253
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:11 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,326
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Federal Gay Marriage Ban Is Ruled Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    No. A one ounce brick is equally heavy as a one ounce feather.
    A standard brick, a standard sized feather. Thank you for the physics lecture though.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  4. #254
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Federal Gay Marriage Ban Is Ruled Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    How's a polygamous divorce work?
    The same as current divorce, with more defendants.

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    What if three people want a fourth to go, but three others want her to stay?
    Time for marriage counseling.

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    Would DNA tests be required to identify a child's father in custody battles?
    When the birth certificate isn't good enough, yes, just like it is today.

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    How is community property defined and how is it split up in the event of a divorce?
    The same way it's split among multiple children today: The value is calculated and the asset can either be liquidated and the profits split or each wife gets an equal share on the title.

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    What about inheritance laws, for example, when the principle wage earner dies, and his six spouses start squabbling over who's share is too big, before they each divorce each other?
    Divorce court will handle it just as they do today.

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    There's religious bigotry associated with anti-polygamy laws, but US law can't answer the questions right now.
    Uh, you mean YOU can't answer those question right now. I certainly can, and so much better could actual lawyers, judges and representatives who have an education in law answer them.

  5. #255
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Federal Gay Marriage Ban is Ruled Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    Because this is a representative democratic republic still mired in assorted anachronistic customs and the forms must be followed because that's how the law works.

    That still doesn't make what contracts two consenting adults enter into anyone else's business.

    I don't even know why anyone not involved in the wedding would care. Doesn't their own lives hold enough trouble to keep them busy?
    Well that's just the thing, if gay marriage doesn't effect me, why would I care? So what if gays can't marry? It doesn't effect me.

  6. #256
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,748

    Re: Federal Gay Marriage Ban Is Ruled Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    He's saying there's no particular reason that legalizing same-sex marriage means you MUST legalize polygamy. They're different situations with different arguments to be made.
    And I am saying that neither situation is any of the government's damn business.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  7. #257
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,274

    Re: Federal Gay Marriage Ban is Ruled Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Singularity View Post
    In the exact same ways that heterosexual marriage is beneficial, i'd imagine. Unless your argument is that the institution of marriage as a whole is not beneficial, of course, in which case good luck trying to prove that.

    Ok, lay this out side by side BM vs. HM as it relates to benefits to society then would you?


    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  8. #258
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,803

    Re: Federal Gay Marriage Ban Is Ruled Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    And I am saying that neither situation is any of the government's damn business.
    I agree, more or less. If they want to ban something, anything at all, they need to show me how it causes harm. If they can't do that, they need to shove off and stay out of it. Whether it's wearing polka-dotted t-shirts, shooting people in the face, or marrying a dude, they have to show how it is harmful before they can ban it.

    (the second one probably isn't difficult to show)
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  9. #259
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Federal Gay Marriage Ban Is Ruled Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    I agree, more or less. If they want to ban something, anything at all, they need to show me how it causes harm. If they can't do that, they need to shove off and stay out of it. Whether it's wearing polka-dotted t-shirts, shooting people in the face, or marrying a dude, they have to show how it is harmful before they can ban it.

    (the second one probably isn't difficult to show)
    Polka-dotted t-shirts can cause epileptic seizures when viewed through a TV screen.

    Ban them.

    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  10. #260
    Professor
    Phoenix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    04-27-17 @ 10:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,782

    Re: Federal Gay Marriage Ban Is Ruled Unconstitutional

    Reading through this thread, it appears that some believe in the specific stated case of CCW permits that a state is bound to honor the Permits from a different state. This is NOT the case. Each state has their own requirements for these and unless the states have a reciprocal agreement you may not carry a concealed weapon outside the state you are licensed in.
    The same applies here for marriage.
    Another example is vehicle laws. You could be given a ticket in California for a cracked windshield even if it is legal in, say, North Carolina and you have North Carolina Tags. One state can't decide law for the whole country. If in Virginia it was legal to drive a vehicle at night that had no headlights, then it would defacto be legal in the whole country as long as your car had VA tags on it. If that's the case then we don't need states at all.
    I am going to check and see If I can find case law examples of states dealing with different marrying ages. I am curious if states are bound to recognize marriages of people under the legal age in that state.
    From the ashes.

Page 26 of 43 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •