Page 19 of 43 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 190 of 429

Thread: Federal Gay Marriage Ban Is Ruled Unconstitutional

  1. #181
    Sage
    Navy Pride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Last Seen
    05-07-15 @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    39,883

    Re: Federal Gay Marriage Ban is Ruled Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Based on what Navy? How is this ruling inappropriate legally?
    Its unconstitutional as al the legal pundits are saying...............
    "God Bless Our Troops in Harms Way."

  2. #182
    Hippie Hater
    texmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Dallas TEXAS
    Last Seen
    08-20-15 @ 01:17 AM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3,969

    Re: Federal Gay Marriage Ban Is Ruled Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    You make several mistakes. There are reasons to include marriage of gays but not polygamy. They have been stated. You can ignore them, but that does not make them go away.
    As I said, there isn't a single argument made against polygamy that cannot be classified as discriminatory or bigoted, the exact same argument many on the left make today against the arguments the other side makes against gay marriage.

    No one is claiming that is some new standard. We are stating that is the reason why the government has any argument to be involved in marriage.
    Of course they are claiming it or they would never bring it up as an argument in the first place.

    The number of countries that allow same sex marriage is not an argument that it is beneficial, and is not being claimed as such.
    Of course it is if you claim the benefits of allowing polygamists to marry and be reconized by the state is a legitimate argument against polygamists which we both know if patently false.
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.

    John Adams

  3. #183
    Hippie Hater
    texmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Dallas TEXAS
    Last Seen
    08-20-15 @ 01:17 AM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3,969

    Re: Federal Gay Marriage Ban Is Ruled Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    The way I see it, unless the government can show demonstrable harm of an activity they don't have a right to ban it. So, yes, you might "have to" allow polygamy. Oh dear, that slippery slope of civil rights. I'm shaking.

    Unless there's demonstrable harm in polygamy. The only possibility I can think of is child custody in the event of a divorce. Say 5 people are a married group, they all have children raised in that home, but one of the biological parents wants to split. Who gets custody? A definitely complicated issue, legally speaking. But is that harm?

    You need to move away from the historical view of polygamy. It's often harmful not because of its nature, but because of the manner in which people have gone about it. Polygamy is often equated with goofy cultists where one man has several (often underage) wives who are basically brainwashed. Using that as a basis for law, however, would be like banning firearms because some people shot up a bank. Oh wait. :P
    This is the only honest argument on gay marriage. Open to all alternative lifestyles. The only place I disagree with you is the claim of showing "demonstrable harm" That would be extremely hard to prove without taking a moral stance.
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.

    John Adams

  4. #184
    Hippie Hater
    texmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Dallas TEXAS
    Last Seen
    08-20-15 @ 01:17 AM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3,969

    Re: Federal Gay Marriage Ban is Ruled Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Based on what Navy? How is this ruling inappropriate legally?
    Thats easy. He used personal bias to claim anyone against gay marriage was illigitimate then he ignored the law that allowed the federal government to decide on social seciurty benifits, not the state.

    He has no legal leg to stand on. If you can point to any law I'd love to see it.
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.

    John Adams

  5. #185
    Professor
    Groucho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Pocono Mountains, PA
    Last Seen
    05-24-11 @ 03:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,363

    Re: Federal Gay Marriage Ban is Ruled Unconstitutional

    Hey, why don't we save each other a lot of time and just reread all the hundred other threads about gay marriage instead of just repeating the same arguments over and over again?

  6. #186
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:41 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,328
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Federal Gay Marriage Ban is Ruled Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    Its unconstitutional as al the legal pundits are saying...............
    The only pundits I can find saying it will be overturned are far right pundits. Got any rational analysis of the ruling that say it will be overturned?
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  7. #187
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:41 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,328
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Federal Gay Marriage Ban is Ruled Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by texmaster View Post
    Thats easy. He used personal bias to claim anyone against gay marriage was illigitimate then he ignored the law that allowed the federal government to decide on social seciurty benifits, not the state.

    He has no legal leg to stand on. If you can point to any law I'd love to see it.
    You do realize there is a significant difference between social security(a federal program), and defining marriage(traditionally state prerogative)? I think you can see that.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  8. #188
    Hippie Hater
    texmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Dallas TEXAS
    Last Seen
    08-20-15 @ 01:17 AM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3,969

    Re: Federal Gay Marriage Ban is Ruled Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    You do realize there is a significant difference between social security(a federal program), and defining marriage(traditionally state prerogative)? I think you can see that.
    Of course but we are talking about the benifits marriage provides on the federal level. A state cannot dictate what benifits the feds give out.

    That is why this judge has no legal leg to stand on.

    The very reason this is a federal issue is because the feds dictate social security benefits and other benefits afforded to married couples.

    This is why we have Congress and Amendments but many liberals like this judge don't want to play by the rules and want to circumvent the system by haveing liberal judges use personal opinion to rewrite law.
    Last edited by texmaster; 07-10-10 at 06:08 PM.
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.

    John Adams

  9. #189
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    07-10-10 @ 10:05 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    143

    Re: Federal Gay Marriage Ban is Ruled Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Ahh yes. I am confounded by the amazing (pseudo)intellectual argument of "people are a commodity." You paint yourself as some sort of intellectual superior amongst mere mortals like myself, but you don't seem to grasp basic human emotions and how that might actually affect things.
    Intellectual superiority? Well thank you and I would add that it's a rare Progressive who shares their opinion on this otherwise obvious fact.

    And might I say that your decision to rush to take the commodity reference out of context is typical of the Progressive... But towards educating the reader who might erroneously lend credence to this farce; commodities are those things which people find useful. A moment invested in simply looking the term up in Webster's or other such resource will verify this... and it's not a complex calculation that people find people useful...

    Beyond that, your argument serves no other purpose than simple obscurance. It is a fact that people in cramped population centers will value individual human life less than those in rural vastly less densely populated areas, with such hardly being a debatable point. Which was the point...

    So with that said I'll only add:
    SWEET FAIL!

  10. #190
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    07-10-10 @ 10:05 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    143

    Re: Federal Gay Marriage Ban is Ruled Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by 204020 View Post
    Just found this forum. And picked out a thread at random.
    Djeezes, djeezes, djeezes.
    Everyone with an ounce of common sense regards homosexuality and same sex marriage as OK as 2 + 2 makes 4. Problem? What problem?
    It's intellectuals like PubliusInfinitu that spend their entire life reaching multiple orgasms by justifying the unjustifiable that make my day.


    Though I'm not French, I live in France. Help, I must be doomed.

    Time for a Stella.
    OUTSTANDING OBSCURANCE Stella!

    First rate obfuscation... it rallies the pretense of relevance without bearing any of the responsiblity to actually engage the debate, which would otherwise be expected of a participant.

    It has it all; fallacious, spurious reasoning and just the right measure of ad populum to bolster those feelings of acceptance that every seeker of the middle way craves...

    .

    .

    .

    .

    .

    .

    ROFLMNAO.... Progressives...

Page 19 of 43 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •