Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 123

Thread: Pentagon sends out "don't ask, don't tell" survey

  1. #1
    Sage
    Navy Pride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Last Seen
    05-07-15 @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    39,883

    Pentagon sends out "don't ask, don't tell" survey

    Its about time we found out the troops in the field about this issue instead of the talking heads in Washington....

    Pentagon sends out "don't ask, don't tell" survey - CNN.com

    Pentagon sends out "don't ask, don't tell" surveyFrom Barbara Starr, CNNJuly 7, 2010 4:15 p.m. EDT

    Washington (CNN) -- The Pentagon on Wednesday began sending out to troops a survey of more than 100 questions seeking their views on the impact of repealing the "don't ask, don't tell" restrictions prohibiting gays and lesbians from openly serving in the U.S. military.

    An administration official confirmed to CNN that the survey is being sent to 200,000 active duty troops and 200,000 reserve troops. The official declined to be identified because the survey has not officially been made public.
    "God Bless Our Troops in Harms Way."

  2. #2
    Technomancer
    Hoplite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    05-08-11 @ 03:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    3,779

    Re: Pentagon sends out "don't ask, don't tell" survey

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    Its about time we found out the troops in the field about this issue instead of the talking heads in Washington....
    Umm...why do we care?

    It's not the troops' job to like or dislike orders they are given. We dont make policy based on what soldiers like or dislike.

    POP's are a dumb idea regardless of who you're polling.
    I'm Done

    See my last post

  3. #3
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Pentagon sends out "don't ask, don't tell" survey

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoplite View Post
    Umm...why do we care?

    It's not the troops' job to like or dislike orders they are given. We dont make policy based on what soldiers like or dislike.

    POP's are a dumb idea regardless of who you're polling.
    Wow - this is hysterical considering that "how the troops feel about showering with gay guys (and so on)" is EXACTLY why we have "Don't Ask Don't Tell" to begin with.

    If it started BECAUSE of our soldier's opinions - then shouldn't it end with their opinions?
    Last edited by Aunt Spiker; 07-07-10 at 10:48 PM.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  4. #4
    Dungeon Master
    Somewhere in Babylon
    Jetboogieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in Babylon...
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,273
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Pentagon sends out "don't ask, don't tell" survey

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    Wow - this is hysterical considering that "how the troops feel about showering with gay guys (and so on)" is EXACTLY why we have "Don't Ask Don't Tell" to begin with.

    If it started BECAUSE of our soldier's opinions - then shouldn't it end with their opinions?
    I think this is right...

    However why don't we send out a survey on their opinions on the War in Afghanistan and Iraq, and if they don't like it... shouldn't they get to leave?

    Not contradicting your point just wanna know.

  5. #5
    Sage
    Navy Pride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Last Seen
    05-07-15 @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    39,883

    Re: Pentagon sends out "don't ask, don't tell" survey

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoplite View Post
    Umm...why do we care?

    It's not the troops' job to like or dislike orders they are given. We dont make policy based on what soldiers like or dislike.

    POP's are a dumb idea regardless of who you're polling.
    No skin off your ass my left wing friend.....Why should you care...It does not affect you.........
    "God Bless Our Troops in Harms Way."

  6. #6
    Technomancer
    Hoplite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    05-08-11 @ 03:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    3,779

    Re: Pentagon sends out "don't ask, don't tell" survey

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    Wow - this is hysterical considering that "how the troops feel about showering with gay guys (and so on)" is EXACTLY why we have "Don't Ask Don't Tell" to begin with.

    If it started BECAUSE of our soldier's opinions - then shouldn't it end with their opinions?
    Our soldiers are (supposed to be) professionals. If you cant handle seeing another man's wang or sleeping in the same room with someone who thinks you have a great ass, then you are not a professional and you are not mature enough to handle a professional's job.

    People predicted the sky falling in when they allowed blacks and women into the military. Soldiers, sailors, and airmen alike handled that just fine after a period of adjustment, this is no different.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    No skin off your ass my left wing friend.....Why should you care...It does not affect you.........
    Because I'm just that awesome.
    Last edited by Hoplite; 07-07-10 at 10:54 PM.
    I'm Done

    See my last post

  7. #7
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Pentagon sends out "don't ask, don't tell" survey

    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    I think this is right...

    However why don't we send out a survey on their opinions on the War in Afghanistan and Iraq, and if they don't like it... shouldn't they get to leave?

    Not contradicting your point just wanna know.
    I think a *war* is different than a questionable *policy* - there are other policies that our soldiers are polled on - overall moral questionaires and so forth, my husband gets them all the time and sends them out to his guys all the time. heck, when being offered certain jobs they even ask my husband what *my* opinoin is - taking the entire family-solidity into consideration before reassigning him or giving him a requested advanced or station.

    Now that DADT has been enacted for, what, near 20 years - and many people have lost friends and solid soldiers due to the policy maybe they now have a different view of it.

    There's nothing worng with wanting to find out where everyone's opinions sit. It's important to show concern and care for your soldier's thoughs and moral - it *does* matter. Now, whether or not they act on everyone's opinion is a different issue.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  8. #8
    Sage
    Navy Pride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Last Seen
    05-07-15 @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    39,883

    Re: Pentagon sends out "don't ask, don't tell" survey

    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    I think this is right...

    However why don't we send out a survey on their opinions on the War in Afghanistan and Iraq, and if they don't like it... shouldn't they get to leave?

    Not contradicting your point just wanna know.
    Huge difference my left wing friend....They sign up to fight our wars not to be used for social experimentation by a far out left wing administration who could give a **** less about them............
    "God Bless Our Troops in Harms Way."

  9. #9
    Dungeon Master
    Somewhere in Babylon
    Jetboogieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in Babylon...
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,273
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Pentagon sends out "don't ask, don't tell" survey

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    Huge difference my left wing friend....They sign up to fight our wars not to be used for social experimentation by a far out left wing administration who could give a **** about them............
    First of all Navy... Nice Jab once again at the "far Left hating troop" Rubbish. Second of all, they sign up to defend the United States of America, not go to Iraq for oil interests. Thirdly if I can't handle a gay dude next to me in the foxhole, chances are I'm not gonna be able to handle bullets flying over my head.

  10. #10
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Pentagon sends out "don't ask, don't tell" survey

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoplite View Post
    Our soldiers are (supposed to be) professionals. If you cant handle seeing another man's wang or sleeping in the same room with someone who thinks you have a great ass, then you are not a professional and you are not mature enough to handle a professional's job.

    People predicted the sky falling in when they allowed blacks and women into the military. Soldiers, sailors, and airmen alike handled that just fine after a period of adjustment, this is no different.


    Because I'm just that awesome.
    Exactly - which is why DADT is just silly and needs to be done away with . . . without even this much ado. Though at least this is in line with everyone's banter about it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    Huge difference my left wing friend....They sign up to fight our wars not to be used for social experimentation by a far out left wing administration who could give a **** less about them............
    I would hardly consider my husband's work environment changing to be a social experiment He worked hard to get in, stay in and continue in his line of work. . . he's NOT considered a lab-rat and is definitely not treated as such.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •