Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 55

Thread: Hawaii Gov. Vetoes Same-Sex Civil Unions Bill

  1. #1
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,983

    Hawaii Gov. Vetoes Same-Sex Civil Unions Bill

    FOXNews.com - Hawaii Gov. Vetoes Same-Sex Civil Unions Bill

    HONOLULU -- Hawaii's governor on Tuesday vetoed legislation that would have permitted same-sex civil unions, ending months of speculation on how she would weigh in on the contentious, emotional debate.
    "The subject of this legislation has touched the hearts and minds of our citizens as no other social issue of our day," Lingle said. "It would be a mistake to allow a decision of this magnitude to be made by one individual or a small group of elected officials."
    Hawaii's governor vetoed a bill that would have given homosexual couples civil unions identical to marriage. She did the right thing by vetoing this bill, and it should be up to the people of Hawaii to define marriage.
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. -Socrates
    Tired of elections being between the lesser of two evils.

  2. #2
    Hippie Hater
    texmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Dallas TEXAS
    Last Seen
    08-20-15 @ 01:17 AM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3,969

    Re: Hawaii Gov. Vetoes Same-Sex Civil Unions Bill

    She said voters should decide the fate of civil unions, not politicians.

    "The subject of this legislation has touched the hearts and minds of our citizens as no other social issue of our day," Lingle said. "It would be a mistake to allow a decision of this magnitude to be made by one individual or a small group of elected officials."


    I agree however this was a civil unions bill not a marriage bill so based on that limited amount of knowledge I have on their proposal I would have to say I'm against her decision.
    Last edited by texmaster; 07-07-10 at 12:16 PM.
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.

    John Adams

  3. #3
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Hawaii Gov. Vetoes Same-Sex Civil Unions Bill

    So which one is it - the voters should choose or the politicians? Everyone's opinions clash on this. I feel that this one issue is something that shouldn't waiver state to state, honestly.

    The only qualm I have - what's the point of a civil union if it's the SAME as marriage?
    Civil unions should be above dating and below marriage. . .that's the purpose of it.

    So - either allow them to get married or don't - you shouldn't rewrite a facto just to skirt an issue.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  4. #4
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: Hawaii Gov. Vetoes Same-Sex Civil Unions Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by texmaster View Post
    She said voters should decide the fate of civil unions, not politicians.

    "The subject of this legislation has touched the hearts and minds of our citizens as no other social issue of our day," Lingle said. "It would be a mistake to allow a decision of this magnitude to be made by one individual or a small group of elected officials."


    I agree however this was a civil unions bill not a marriage bill so based on that limited amount of knowledge I have on their proposal I would have to say I'm against her decision.
    You do realize that civil unions domestic partnerships are nothing more than PC terms for marriage? They are terms used by politicians to weasel in gay marriage while pretending to cater to the anti-gay marriage side. If I call a pile of cow dung a T-Bone steak would you want to eat it? Hell no you would not want to eat because changing the name of something does not make it different. Calling marriage a civil union or domestic partnership does not change the fact it is still a union between two people with certain tax benefits,property rights,hospital visitations,medical decisions, and other stuff without having to have legal forms such as wills,power of attorneys and etc. to designate those things.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  5. #5
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,983

    Re: Hawaii Gov. Vetoes Same-Sex Civil Unions Bill

    Specifically, the civil union proposed was identical to marriage only not under the same name.
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. -Socrates
    Tired of elections being between the lesser of two evils.

  6. #6
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Hawaii Gov. Vetoes Same-Sex Civil Unions Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    Specifically, the civil union proposed was identical to marriage only not under the same name.
    Yeah, exactly.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  7. #7
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,795

    Re: Hawaii Gov. Vetoes Same-Sex Civil Unions Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    You do realize that civil unions domestic partnerships are nothing more than PC terms for marriage? They are terms used by politicians to weasel in gay marriage while pretending to cater to the anti-gay marriage side. If I call a pile of cow dung a T-Bone steak would you want to eat it? Hell no you would not want to eat because changing the name of something does not make it different. Calling marriage a civil union or domestic partnership does not change the fact it is still a union between two people with certain tax benefits,property rights,hospital visitations,medical decisions, and other stuff without having to have legal forms such as wills,power of attorneys and etc. to designate those things.
    You're against giving people equal rights!? It's not even about protecting a word for you, it's literally about your thinking that homosexuals are not worthy of the same treatment as you.

    "The voters should decide" is just an excuse to cover bigotry. The people of Hawaii did decide when they elected their representatives.
    Last edited by Deuce; 07-07-10 at 12:45 PM.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  8. #8
    Hippie Hater
    texmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Dallas TEXAS
    Last Seen
    08-20-15 @ 01:17 AM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3,969

    Re: Hawaii Gov. Vetoes Same-Sex Civil Unions Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    You do realize that civil unions domestic partnerships are nothing more than PC terms for marriage? They are terms used by politicians to weasel in gay marriage while pretending to cater to the anti-gay marriage side. If I call a pile of cow dung a T-Bone steak would you want to eat it? Hell no you would not want to eat because changing the name of something does not make it different. Calling marriage a civil union or domestic partnership does not change the fact it is still a union between two people with certain tax benefits,property rights,hospital visitations,medical decisions, and other stuff without having to have legal forms such as wills,power of attorneys and etc. to designate those things.
    I don't support civil unions that are specific for homosexuals absoltuely not. They should be for any people including 2 sisters that live together and the like.

    But still separate from marriage.
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.

    John Adams

  9. #9
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,795

    Re: Hawaii Gov. Vetoes Same-Sex Civil Unions Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by texmaster View Post
    I don't support civil unions that are specific for homosexuals absoltuely not. They should be for any people including 2 sisters that live together and the like.

    But still separate from marriage.
    I guess this isn't that surprising a view coming from a Texas man! I hear in the south they do this anyway!
    (look you set that one up too well ok?)

    edit for content: I've never really understood the whole "protect MARRIAGE" deal. I'm not married, but I have to imagine that if I was, my love for my wife would not be changed by two dudes getting married. I can't imagine that I would be any more or less likely to want children or get a divorce or buy a bigger house.
    Last edited by Deuce; 07-07-10 at 01:04 PM.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  10. #10
    Hippie Hater
    texmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Dallas TEXAS
    Last Seen
    08-20-15 @ 01:17 AM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3,969

    Re: Hawaii Gov. Vetoes Same-Sex Civil Unions Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    I guess this isn't that surprising a view coming from a Texas man! I hear in the south they do this anyway!
    (look you set that one up too well ok?)
    Set what up? That doesn't even make sense.

    edit for content: I've never really understood the whole "protect MARRIAGE" deal. I'm not married, but I have to imagine that if I was, my love for my wife would not be changed by two dudes getting married. I can't imagine that I would be any more or less likely to want children or get a divorce or buy a bigger house.
    The problem is you and many who think the way you do only look at how you would be effected if marriage was eliminated or devauled and not the society we live in.
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.

    John Adams

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •