Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 62

Thread: TSA to Block "Controversial Opinion" on the Web

  1. #31
    ThunderCougarFalconBird
    roughdraft274's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,080

    Re: TSA to Block "Controversial Opinion" on the Web

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    I accept that UNLESS it starts happening it is a non issue. And I PERSONALLY have no problem if they block ALL opinion sites. Its that very vague definition of 'controversial'
    that has me edged. limiting access strictly to .mil and .gov sites makes good business sense...except of course that MOST phones can access internet...netbooks are dirt cheap...and not uncommon right next to peoples computers...etc

    And if I mistook your first sentence (conservatives concerns for 'broad terms') wrong then my apologies.
    Why does it get you so up in arms though? It's a list for what type of sites they may block... Of course if you take things to a ridiculous extreme then you'll have something to worry about, but 99.99% of the time it turns out to be nothing.

    About my first sentence, I just meant that it seems alot of conservatives are noticing these broad terms now that a Dem is in office, kind of like how a report, done almost completely under the Bush administration on right wing extremism gave some signs for officers to look for, and of course conservatives took this stuff to the ridiculous extreme that the Obama admin hated veterans and wanted to pull over everyone with a Ron Paul bumber sticker.

  2. #32
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: TSA to Block "Controversial Opinion" on the Web

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    The list the memo says are blocked:



    I wonder why that list was not included in the OP...maybe because it would make this seem pretty reasonable....
    Way to be dishonest Redress. BN Rules if memory serves, states that you give an excerpt and link to, not a huge wall of text. I keep mine to the first couple of paragraphs. And note the number three item.. the one that's contentious...
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  3. #33
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: TSA to Block "Controversial Opinion" on the Web

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    No **** shurlock? The issue here isn't that they CAN block it, it's "What is a CONTROVERSIAL OPINION". I suppose, a good Liberal, and this being a Liberal Administration, you are unable/willing/capable of asking that simple question. The problem is, liblady, incase you didn't know this, the TSA is a Gov't entity... do you see the reason for concern? No? Didn't think you would but I had to atleast try.
    The only reason of concern I have for the TSA is over the existence of the TSA in the first place. Other than that, this is a non-story. They can block whatever they want. But they are a worthless organization which has done nothing for the overall safety of the people nor have they made the skies any safer. It's bloated government bureaucracy and a waste of money.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  4. #34
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:12 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,331
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: TSA to Block "Controversial Opinion" on the Web

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    Way to be dishonest Redress. BN Rules if memory serves, states that you give an excerpt and link to, not a huge wall of text. I keep mine to the first couple of paragraphs. And note the number three item.. the one that's contentious...
    And yet that was needed context. I would have included the list, or at least mentioned that there was a whole set of things blocked from work comps, instead of making it sound as if only controversial opinions where blocked.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  5. #35
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:12 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,331
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: TSA to Block "Controversial Opinion" on the Web

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    The only reason of concern I have for the TSA is over the existence of the TSA in the first place. Other than that, this is a non-story. They can block whatever they want. But they are a worthless organization which has done nothing for the overall safety of the people nor have they made the skies any safer. It's bloated government bureaucracy and a waste of money.
    We should fall back on the Libertarian plan...if you get killed, sue who did it. That will work.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  6. #36
    Hippie Hater
    texmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Dallas TEXAS
    Last Seen
    08-20-15 @ 01:17 AM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3,969

    Re: TSA to Block "Controversial Opinion" on the Web

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    If I owned a business or ran a department, I would block sites like DP on all computers but mine.
    I would block Redress' cat. All that cuteness would hurt productivity.
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.

    John Adams

  7. #37
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,705

    Re: TSA to Block "Controversial Opinion" on the Web

    Quote Originally Posted by roughdraft274 View Post
    Why does it get you so up in arms though? It's a list for what type of sites they may block... Of course if you take things to a ridiculous extreme then you'll have something to worry about, but 99.99% of the time it turns out to be nothing.

    About my first sentence, I just meant that it seems alot of conservatives are noticing these broad terms now that a Dem is in office, kind of like how a report, done almost completely under the Bush administration on right wing extremism gave some signs for officers to look for, and of course conservatives took this stuff to the ridiculous extreme that the Obama admin hated veterans and wanted to pull over everyone with a Ron Paul bumber sticker.
    Extremes are almost always...well...extreme...like the concern that Arizona wants to enforce existing federal law and that means they will be asking every mezcan for zere papers and hauling them all off to prison...

    I understand what you are saying. Of course the Beck/Olberdude types WILL take one or two words and make them mean the next holocaust is coming. However in this day of talk of revitalizing the Fairness Doctrine, talks of the need for the fed to control the internet...etc, i suppose its easy to get hackles up. I dont like the thought of limiting freedoms based on someones definition of controversial sites. Im fine with banning ALL non work related sites...ALL of them...

  8. #38
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: TSA to Block "Controversial Opinion" on the Web

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    We should fall back on the Libertarian plan...if you get killed, sue who did it. That will work.
    Do you prefer the Republocrat method? Freak out and don't question the government as it expands its powers against the rights and liberties of the individual, how's that? That's the plan you like? Well each to their own. But how many people have been killed on an airline? Before and after 9/11. The stats haven't really changed much at all, nothing which suggests that TSA is statistically important. Instead all we have is more and more restrictions, more and more scanning and searching and in the end, every once in awhile some crazy guy still gets on. We're no safer with TSA than without.

    But don't let that fact stop you from making stupid little comments and trying to disparage the whole of the libertarian philosophy just because someone dare say something on an internet debate board. BTW, anything productive to add, or was that failed attack it?
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  9. #39
    Guru
    Councilman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Riverside, County, CA.
    Last Seen
    11-04-11 @ 10:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,454
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: TSA to Block "Controversial Opinion" on the Web

    Now it begins. I was soundly attacked by liberals and even a couple of liberals claiming to be conservatives for warning that the Obama Administration is following the game plan of the leftist dictators of history and Hugo Chavez. This is the first step to full on censorship and media control

    Most of the Lame Stream Media are already in the Obama camp and he has people in hiz inner circle of Czars who want to take Conservative Radio stations away from owners and give them to Liberals.

    Quoting Mark Loyd Obama's Diversity Czar "It should be clear by now that my focus here is not freedom of speech or the press. This freedom is all too often an exaggeration. At the very least, blind references to freedom of speech or the press serve as a distraction from the critical examination of other communications policies.

    "[T]he purpose of free speech is warped to protect global corporations and block rules that would promote democratic governance."

    "In Venezuela, with Chavez, is really an incredible revolution - a democratic revolution. To begin to put in place things that are going to have an impact on the people of Venezuela.

    "The property owners and the folks who then controlled the media in Venezuela rebelled - worked, frankly, with folks here in the U.S. government - worked to oust him. But he came back with another revolution, and then Chavez began to take very seriously the media in his country.


    Welcome to what Obama called hope and change.

  10. #40
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: TSA to Block "Controversial Opinion" on the Web

    Quote Originally Posted by Councilman View Post
    Now it begins. I was soundly attacked by liberals and even a couple of liberals claiming to be conservatives for warning that the Obama Administration is following the game plan of the leftist dictators of history and Hugo Chavez. This is the first step to full on censorship and media control

    Most of the Lame Stream Media are already in the Obama camp and he has people in hiz inner circle of Czars who want to take Conservative Radio stations away from owners and give them to Liberals.

    Quoting Mark Loyd Obama's Diversity Czar "It should be clear by now that my focus here is not freedom of speech or the press. This freedom is all too often an exaggeration. At the very least, blind references to freedom of speech or the press serve as a distraction from the critical examination of other communications policies.

    "[T]he purpose of free speech is warped to protect global corporations and block rules that would promote democratic governance."

    "In Venezuela, with Chavez, is really an incredible revolution - a democratic revolution. To begin to put in place things that are going to have an impact on the people of Venezuela.

    "The property owners and the folks who then controlled the media in Venezuela rebelled - worked, frankly, with folks here in the U.S. government - worked to oust him. But he came back with another revolution, and then Chavez began to take very seriously the media in his country.


    Welcome to what Obama called hope and change.
    Well you know, Obama is following Bush's playbook....so that doesn't bode well for the Republicans either then. But it's nothing I haven't said, peas in a pod and government wishes to make it's power absolute. Don't sit there and pretend that Bush wasn't doing similar stuff, that won't benefit anyone other than the established status quo complete with its new aristocracy.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •