Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 35

Thread: Doctor: 'Dying' Lockerbie bomber may live 10 years

  1. #21
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,089

    Re: Doctor: 'Dying' Lockerbie bomber may live 10 years

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    Perhaps, but you hold a retrial, not just let him walk.
    And when a retrial is being blocked and delayed for a decade? Then what?
    PeteEU

  2. #22
    DEATH TO ANTARCTICA!!!
    Apocalypse's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Israel
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    17,196

    Re: Doctor: 'Dying' Lockerbie bomber may live 10 years

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    I am not declaring him innocent. I am saying he most likely is innocent based on the evidence or lack of evidence against him.
    So you believe, you're not a judge and a judge has never came to this decision.
    What is disgusting is that people willing will allow a possible innocent man to rot in jail just to feel "like we got someone" for the crime.
    Listen to yourself, you're promoting the unconditional release of a "possible innocent", where the hell is the logic behind that?
    "The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis."

    Dante Alighieri

  3. #23
    DEATH TO ANTARCTICA!!!
    Apocalypse's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Israel
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    17,196

    Re: Doctor: 'Dying' Lockerbie bomber may live 10 years

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    Officially they did yes.... but we both know there is the official version and the non official version.
    I don't think mac shares the conspiracy theorist gene, Pete.
    "The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis."

    Dante Alighieri

  4. #24
    Guru

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    10-29-17 @ 02:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,684

    Re: Doctor: 'Dying' Lockerbie bomber may live 10 years

    The last time this case came up I managed to find some reports which indicated pretty well why it was unlikely that this man was the bomber and how indeed he was released on condition he withdrew his appeal.

    Many reason have been given for his release including our desire for oil from Libya.

    However the chances that this man was innocent are very strong.

    THE father of a Lockerbie bombing victim made an astonishing 500,000 offer to help free the Libyan accused of his daughter's murder.
    Jim Swire, whose daughter Flora died in the December 1988 atrocity, offered part of his compensation cash to lawyers trying to prove the innocence of Abdelbaset Ali Mohmed al-Megrahi, currently serving life in Greenock Prison.

    Swire last night to told Scotland on Sunday he had unwittingly contributed to a miscarriage of justice by helping to persuade Libyan leader Colonel Gaddafi that Megrahi would receive a fair trial under the Scottish legal system.
    Swire offered cash help to al-Megrahi - Scotland on Sunday

    I would agree that a proper appeal would be in order but given that the man is dying, and that he is whatever time he takes to achieve it, it seems right he has been released. If a miscarriage of justice has happened he already lost several years of his life to it.

    Hopefully in time truth proper will come out.
    George Monboit "Neoliberalism is inherently incompatible with democracy, as people will always rebel against the austerity and fiscal tyranny it prescribes. Something has to give, and it must be the people. This is the true road to serfdom: disinventing democracy on behalf of the elite."

  5. #25
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,089

    Re: Doctor: 'Dying' Lockerbie bomber may live 10 years

    Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    So you believe, you're not a judge and a judge has never came to this decision.

    Listen to yourself, you're promoting the unconditional release of a "possible innocent", where the hell is the logic behind that?
    Yes, if there is major doubt on a persons conviction and guilt then I do believe that said person should be freed while there is a new trial and investigation. I would rather have 10 guilty people go free than throw one innocent person behind bars.. That USE to be a principle that the US lived by .. but guess not any more.
    PeteEU

  6. #26
    DEATH TO ANTARCTICA!!!
    Apocalypse's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Israel
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    17,196

    Re: Doctor: 'Dying' Lockerbie bomber may live 10 years

    Quote Originally Posted by alexa View Post
    The last time this case came up I managed to find some reports which indicated pretty well why it was unlikely that this man was the bomber and how indeed he was released on condition he withdrew his appeal.

    Many reason have been given for his release including our desire for oil from Libya.

    However the chances that this man was innocent are very strong.



    Swire offered cash help to al-Megrahi - Scotland on Sunday

    I would agree that a proper appeal would be in order but given that the man is dying, and that he is whatever time he takes to achieve it, it seems right he has been released. If a miscarriage of justice has happened he already lost several years of his life to it.

    Hopefully in time truth proper will come out.
    That the father of one of the victims has offered a financial aid to the convicted bomber is legally irrelevant.
    "The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis."

    Dante Alighieri

  7. #27
    DEATH TO ANTARCTICA!!!
    Apocalypse's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Israel
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    17,196

    Re: Doctor: 'Dying' Lockerbie bomber may live 10 years

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    Yes, if there is major doubt on a persons conviction and guilt then I do believe that said person should be freed while there is a new trial and investigation. I would rather have 10 guilty people go free than throw one innocent person behind bars.. That USE to be a principle that the US lived by .. but guess not any more.
    I promote a different method; if and when there is a major doubt on a person's guiltness after he was already convicted, and by doubt I mean contradicting evidence, then his case should be re-opened and reviewed.
    If the investigation finds that he was guilty, then he should remain in prison. If the investigation finds out that he was innocent, however, he should be freed and receive compensations.
    I believe the US law system follow that line of thought as well.

    I strongly disagree however with the notion that if there is a doubt about a person's guiltness he should be unconditionally released. That is repulsive and is against the entire value of justice.
    Last edited by Apocalypse; 07-06-10 at 12:07 PM.
    "The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis."

    Dante Alighieri

  8. #28
    Hippie Hater
    texmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Dallas TEXAS
    Last Seen
    08-20-15 @ 01:17 AM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3,969

    Re: Doctor: 'Dying' Lockerbie bomber may live 10 years

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    Yes, if there is major doubt on a persons conviction and guilt then I do believe that said person should be freed while there is a new trial and investigation. I would rather have 10 guilty people go free than throw one innocent person behind bars.. That USE to be a principle that the US lived by .. but guess not any more.
    How do you say that with a straight face? He wasn't parolled he was released to another country.

    Explain how you use your personal opinion to jusitfy releasing a person who was convicted?

    Any idiot can file for appeal. Should we just let them all go to a different country because they filed an appeal? Stop for a moment and listen to yourself.
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.

    John Adams

  9. #29
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Doctor: 'Dying' Lockerbie bomber may live 10 years

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    I wonder if the victims families feel like the British government just took a big **** right in their mouths by allowing Scotland to free a terrorist due to some retarded idiotic notion of letting some scumbag out of prison due to compassionate grounds. There is such a thing as misplaced compassion and this is an example of it. Misplaced compassion just makes compassion synonymous with stupidity.

    Doctor: Lockerbie bomber may live 10 years - World news - Europe - msnbc.com
    LONDON A doctor who said the man convicted of the bombing of Pan Am Flight 103 had only three months to live now says the Libyan could survive another 10 years, London's Sunday Times reported.

    Abdel Baset al-Megrahi, who was convicted of 270 counts of murder for being behind the 1988 bombing over Lockerbie, Scotland, was released on compassionate grounds in 2009, after doctors said he only had a few months to live.

    Specialist Karol Sikora told the newspaper it was "embarrassing" that al-Megrahi, who has prostate cancer and received a hero's welcome upon his return to Libya, had managed to outlive the prognosis.

    The report is sure to re-ignite accusations that Scottish authorities bowed to pressure from Libya and the British government to release al-Megrahi, who American officials accuse of being an officer of the Libyan intelligence service.
    Well you win some and you lose some. No use crying over spilled milk
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  10. #30
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,089

    Re: Doctor: 'Dying' Lockerbie bomber may live 10 years

    Quote Originally Posted by texmaster View Post
    How do you say that with a straight face? He wasn't parolled he was released to another country.

    Explain how you use your personal opinion to jusitfy releasing a person who was convicted?

    Any idiot can file for appeal. Should we just let them all go to a different country because they filed an appeal? Stop for a moment and listen to yourself.
    Have you not been following the case? He HAD appealed and the UK and US government has delayed said appeals at every possible moment! If they were so sure of the evidence then why not let him appeal and get over with it? If they were so sure of the evidence then why make it as a condition of his release that he drop his appeal process? The Scottish system that looks at court cases said clearly that they suspected a gross miscarriage of justice in this case. The UN observer said the same. And yet appeals were delayed by the prosecution time and time again.... wonder why.

    As for my opinion to justify releasing a person who was convicted.. if that person was wrongly convicted the he should be release immediately. We have had enough cases coming out of the US and other parts of the world where people have been in jail for decades wrongly convicted, because the trials were politicly tainted from start to finish.

    If there is doubt about his conviction being correct, I mean serious doubt, then said person should be released under bail while the case is taken up. And in this case there was serious doubts under the trial that were ignored because of political pressure from Downing Street and Washington.

    Add to that clear evidence tampering and witness tampering then you have more than enough not only to reopen the case but to release the man. The problem is that the UK and US governments did not want to reopen the case because it would expose their illegal actions to the world and make it part of public record. Hence he was only released if he dropped his appeal, and hence that is why 40+ pieces of evidence are still considered top secret in the case.

    Like it or not, this whole case stinks of injustice from start to finish and that is based on the evidence that has come to light after the trial. Things like the key witness who picked him out of a line up, saw a picture of him 4 days before.. under questioning of the FBI. Or the same witness being given millions and relocated to Australia.. on YOUR tax dollar. Or the fact that the detonator involved was tampered with so much that the manufacture could not recognize it during the trial and that before the trial he had been given access to the very detonator, and told the FBI that this was not one of his detonators.. a fact that was never passed to the defence nor came up in the trial. The detonators were the key physical evidence linking Libya to the bombing and we now know today that there is serious doubt even over that. It goes on and on and on with these "issues".
    PeteEU

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •