Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 115

Thread: Obama to invest $2 billion in solar power

  1. #31
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,444

    Re: Obama to invest $2 billion in solar power

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    [By that measure, don't buy a house. [/b]Apparently you missed the link where some insurance carriers reduce your insurance. So less money out your pocket. [/b]



    For the same reason you insure your house against damage? And why would you want to spend your money on such a system? Because it reduces your electrical bill.

    Maybe you don't have a home? Maybe that's why you are so confused about what insurance is?
    Additional insurance premiums equate to less money out of my pocket? How does that work exactly?

    And why would you want to spend your money on such a system? Because it reduces your electrical bill.
    My light bill, in the summer, in one of the hottest, most humid parts of the United States is between $120 and $150 a month. How long would it take, for my solar system with it's $20,000+ price tag, my maintanance bills and insurance bill, to pay for itself? I'm 41, will it happen before I die? Let's see some numbers on that since you know more than the rest of us working stiffs.
    Last edited by apdst; 07-04-10 at 12:05 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  2. #32
    Shankmasta Killa
    TacticalEvilDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NY and Geneva, CH
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,444

    Re: Obama to invest $2 billion in solar power

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Additional insurance premiums equate to less money out of my pocket? How does that work exactly?
    We're talking about the kind of insurance that any responsible homeowner would have on their home to begin with.
    I'm already gearing up for Finger Vote 2014.

    Just for reference, means my post was a giant steaming pile of sarcasm.

  3. #33
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Obama to invest $2 billion in solar power

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    The point, you ask? It costs MORE money and we're in the middle of a recession. How stupid is it to force people into spending more money on their light bill, in the middle of the worst economic downturn since the Great Depression?
    What do you mean more? Do you understand the concept of per kilowatt subsidies in the same fashion that are given to nuclear? What are you talking about?

    Not only do people have to pay for the installation and maintanance of their solar power system, now, they have to insure it? And, you called me stupid?!?
    Do you own a car? Why should someone else have to pay for the costs? It's pretty clear you have no idea what the hell Tac and I are talking about.

    Watch:

    Not only do people have to pay for the installation and maintenance of their roofs, now, they have to insure it? And, you called me stupid?!?

    You're a hoot Apdst.

    Additional insurance premiums equate to less money out of my pocket? How does that work exactly?
    You could read the link. Seriously, what's your problem with reading articles?

    So, do you admit your comment on "There's no market" is dead wrong?

    My light bill, in the summer, in one of the hottest, most humid parts of the United States is between $120 and $150 a month. How long would it take, for my solar system with it's $20,000+ price tag, my maintanance bills and insurance bill, to pay for itself? I'm 41, will it happen before I die? Let's see some numbers on that since you know more than the rest of us working stiffs.
    First of all, who the hell spends $20,000 on an home system? Can your roof even support that weight?

    First of all, you get solar water heating which is generally pretty cheap at under $2k. And considering the necessary power requirements to actually reduce your power bill, photovoltaic don't make sense at the moment for individuals.

    http://www.energysavers.gov/your_hom.../mytopic=12910

    That estimate is 1.5 years payback. Pretty cheap. And I don't think it's counting the 30% federal tax credit.

    But commercial solar panels make sense, especially for power companies as it reduces their long term fuel costs. Expensive to build, cheap to run verse cheap to build and expensive to run.
    Last edited by obvious Child; 07-04-10 at 12:13 AM.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  4. #34
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,444

    Re: Obama to invest $2 billion in solar power

    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalEvilDan View Post
    No, you're completely wrong, but I guess that's nothing new.



    No, I'm claiming that up until relatively recently there hasn't been the kind of investment in this field that there needs to be simply because there hasn't been a whole lot of incentive. That is changing.



    I would absolutely love to, but I can't. I'm currently involved in some of the work that you're so blithely ridiculing me, but I've signed an NDA so I can't demonstrate to you how ignorant you really are.



    I know you do, but you're wrong.





    Are you kidding me?

    Insurance doesn't mean more money out of the taxpayer's pocket. Oh brother.



    You don't insure the system.

    You insure the house it is installed in. Just like you would even if you didn't have such a system.

    Duh.
    There in lies the bottom line of the treehugger bull****: "I can't, because I'm too busy". That's what I thought. You're not too busy to post on an internet discussion forum about how ignorant I am, but you're too busy to explain to me why you're right and I'm wrong.

    Right-oh, my man!

    You insure the house it is installed in. Just like you would even if you didn't have such a system.
    You add a $20,000+ system to your home and your insurance bill isn't going to go up. Yeah! Right!! Do you even own a home??
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  5. #35
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: Obama to invest $2 billion in solar power

    [QUOTE=Orion;1058835905]The U.S. government is handing out nearly $2 billion US for new solar plants that President Barack Obama says will create thousands of jobs and increase the use of renewable energy sources.[/url]

    No.

    The US government is stealing two billion dollars from America's children to dole out to connected favorites.

    Because Obama says it will create jobs the probability that jobs will be lost is almost unity.

    Not to mention that Spain's lame green jobs attempt ended in miserable failure.

    Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    Finally, some forward thinking.
    Centralized government is SOOOOO Twentieth Century.

    Nothing forward about going backwards.

    Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    I don't think anyone is suggesting that solar polar can replace fossil fuels, but it can still be an effective supplement. And in a country that is apparently debating the use of foreign oil and offshore drilling, it makes sense to at least start the renewable energy process.
    No debate. We should drill off shore to stop foreign oil dependency. Solar is never going to be more than a fringe market, so it's not part of the discussion.

    Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    Also, the best way to conduct forward research is to be actively using solar.
    The best way to conduct research is to stop taxing private businesses so people with money to invest can calculate rewards against known risks and make their personal free decisions without government punishment.

    Now,that's "forward" thinking.

  6. #36
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,444

    Re: Obama to invest $2 billion in solar power

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    What do you mean more? Do you understand the concept of per kilowatt subsidies in the same fashion that are given to nuclear? What are you talking about?



    Do you own a car? Why should someone else have to pay for the costs? It's pretty clear you have no idea what the hell Tac and I are talking about.

    Watch:

    Not only do people have to pay for the installation and maintenance of their roofs, now, they have to insure it? And, you called me stupid?!?

    You're a hoot Apdst.



    You could read the link. Seriously, what's your problem with reading articles?

    So, do you admit your comment on "There's no market" is dead wrong?
    If there was any kind of real market, the government wouldn't have to piss out $2 billion to promote solar energy. I thought you were supposed to be some kinda financial/entrepreneur/business goo-roo.

    The market doesn't extend past trolling motor batteries.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  7. #37
    Shankmasta Killa
    TacticalEvilDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NY and Geneva, CH
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,444

    Re: Obama to invest $2 billion in solar power

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    There in lies the bottom line of the treehugger bull****: "I can't, because I'm too busy". That's what I thought. You're not too busy to post on an internet discussion forum about how ignorant I am, but you're too busy to explain to me why you're right and I'm wrong.

    Right-oh, my man!
    Either you are complete and total moron, or you are attempting to piss me off in the hopes that I will make a mistake and give you an opening to win this retarded little argument, but it's not going to happen.

    If you read the rest of the sentence you would've realized I can't talk about it because of non-disclosure agreements, not because I don't have time to talk about it.

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    You add a $20,000+ system to your home and your insurance bill isn't going to go up. Yeah! Right!! Do you even own a home??
    I'm not even going to bother answering that question. You have proven so many times in this thread that you don't know the first thing about this subject, so I'm done proving to you how full of crap you are.
    I'm already gearing up for Finger Vote 2014.

    Just for reference, means my post was a giant steaming pile of sarcasm.

  8. #38
    Shankmasta Killa
    TacticalEvilDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NY and Geneva, CH
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,444

    Re: Obama to invest $2 billion in solar power

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    If there was any kind of real market, the government wouldn't have to piss out $2 billion to promote solar energy. I thought you were supposed to be some kinda financial/entrepreneur/business goo-roo.

    The market doesn't extend past trolling motor batteries.
    The government spends money on R&D because private industry is often reluctant to spend money on something that may or may not work.

    This has been said before.

    Is English not your first language?
    I'm already gearing up for Finger Vote 2014.

    Just for reference, means my post was a giant steaming pile of sarcasm.

  9. #39
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: Obama to invest $2 billion in solar power

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    If there was a market, private industry would already be all over. Obviously, there's no market. Could that be, because it isn't cost effective?

    That blast of common sense deserves a thank you.

    So thank you.

    If government has to subsidize it, it's not cost effective, it's not efficient, and it's not Constitutional.

    That's three "no's".

    How many more does anyone need?

  10. #40
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,444

    Re: Obama to invest $2 billion in solar power

    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalEvilDan View Post
    We're talking about the kind of insurance that any responsible homeowner would have on their home to begin with.
    Right! Right! Explain how my homeowner's insurance bill isn't going up, when I add $20,000 worth of net loss to it.

    I can't wait for this one. I'll be waiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •