Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 29

Thread: What The Knicks Told LeBron: Come To New York And Make $1 Billion

  1. #1
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,751

    What The Knicks Told LeBron: Come To New York And Make $1 Billion

    The Knicks just finished pitching LeBron James. Their main selling point: You could make a billion dollars playing in New York. You can't earn anything close to that anywhere else.
    LeBron James is more important than Albert Einstein, Stephen Hawking, General Patreus, George Bush, Barack Obama, Sarah Palin, the first responders during 911, and just about anyone else you can name.

    Is it just me, or is there something seriously ****ed up with our priorities?

    Discussion?

    Article is here.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  2. #2
    Shankmasta Killa
    TacticalEvilDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NY and Geneva, CH
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,444

    Re: What The Knicks Told LeBron: Come To New York And Make $1 Billion

    I totally agree.

    If someone is going to earn a billion dollars by showing up in the Knicks locker room, it should be by being the best lay the Knicks have ever had.

    All of them.

    Just saying.
    I'm already gearing up for Finger Vote 2014.

    Just for reference, means my post was a giant steaming pile of sarcasm.

  3. #3
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,984

    Re: What The Knicks Told LeBron: Come To New York And Make $1 Billion

    Think of how beneficial that billion dollars could be if it went somewhere else. Lol, tax the crap out of pro athletes in order to fix our deficit
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. -Socrates
    Tired of elections being between the lesser of two evils.

  4. #4
    Sage
    mpg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Milford, CT
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,769

    Re: What The Knicks Told LeBron: Come To New York And Make $1 Billion

    We already have an income tax and it's progressive, so what's the problem? Are people paying too much to watch basketball? Noone's forcing them. Capitalism can be evil but this is NOT an example.
    If you expect people to be rational, you aren't being rational.

  5. #5
    Count Smackula
    rathi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    10-31-15 @ 10:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,890

    Re: What The Knicks Told LeBron: Come To New York And Make $1 Billion

    Our society has voted with their dollars to put professional athletes above most other professions. There is no evil corporate management pulling the strings behind the scenes, this is honestly what people care the most about. The public is willing to pay fairly outrageous sums of money to watch the games, and its a testament to the integrity of the NBA that the players are the ones making the big bucks. People may get upset about how much they get paid, but we have nobody to blame but ourselves.

  6. #6
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: What The Knicks Told LeBron: Come To New York And Make $1 Billion

    What kinda of idiot takes a big contract in New York with all those taxes?? I bet if he took a contract in San Antonio for less he'd take home more.
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Last Seen
    12-26-10 @ 06:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,083

    Re: What The Knicks Told LeBron: Come To New York And Make $1 Billion

    In high school I wondered why I had to bust my ass to get good marks for scholarships, and jocks were getting more valuable scholarships to go to the best schools. I respect physical ability but let's face it, athletes don't change the world. They're just entertainment. But as rathi has said, I guess they wouldn't be getting those scholarships if demand weren't so high for pro athletes for the drooling masses.

    I do think our priorities are messed up when teachers, doctors, engineers, and the people who either build civilizations or provide their life blood are left in the dust compared to football or basketball players.

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    03-31-11 @ 07:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    2,331

    Re: What The Knicks Told LeBron: Come To New York And Make $1 Billion

    Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    In high school I wondered why I had to bust my ass to get good marks for scholarships, and jocks were getting more valuable scholarships to go to the best schools. I respect physical ability but let's face it, athletes don't change the world. They're just entertainment. But as rathi has said, I guess they wouldn't be getting those scholarships if demand weren't so high for pro athletes for the drooling masses.

    I do think our priorities are messed up when teachers, doctors, engineers, and the people who either build civilizations or provide their life blood are left in the dust compared to football or basketball players.
    A lot of doctors and engineers make serious money. You are talking about one athlete earning serious bank compare to hundreds of engineers who earn six figures. Six figures might not sound a lot but it is when the majority of athletes don't get paid for being athletes. You may feel cheated from being the star in high school or even college but after that that is when life starts to matter and it is proven for every 1 athlete that goes into the professional world there will hundreds of more engineers, scientists, doctors who will earn more than the poor sucker who thought he was going to make it into a professional sport earning top dollars.

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Last Seen
    12-26-10 @ 06:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,083

    Re: What The Knicks Told LeBron: Come To New York And Make $1 Billion

    Quote Originally Posted by Gray_Fox_86 View Post
    A lot of doctors and engineers make serious money. You are talking about one athlete earning serious bank compare to hundreds of engineers who earn six figures. Six figures might not sound a lot but it is when the majority of athletes don't get paid for being athletes. You may feel cheated from being the star in high school or even college but after that that is when life starts to matter and it is proven for every 1 athlete that goes into the professional world there will hundreds of more engineers, scientists, doctors who will earn more than the poor sucker who thought he was going to make it into a professional sport earning top dollars.
    I realize that, but it doesn't change the fact that pro league athletes will always make infinitely more than I do and that it's a statement of societal priorities. Same goes for actors in hollywood. It just demonstrates that our society is more focused on momentary gratification than it is on long-term progression.

    When the Olympics came to Vancouver, our government dished out billions of dollars during a recession in order to prepare for it. There were huge protests about lack of priorities, the swelling homelessness and street crime in the downtown East side, the cuts in education, health care (ambulance workers went on strike), child care, and other infrastructure projects. The government did not listen. Canada dished out so much money for a three week sporting event, and my province will spend decades paying for it.

    I don't mind it if people enjoy sports. My issue is that their mindless and incessant thirst for entertainment has an actual societal impact on the rest of us.

  10. #10
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: What The Knicks Told LeBron: Come To New York And Make $1 Billion

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    LeBron James is more important than Albert Einstein, Stephen Hawking, General Patreus, George Bush, Barack Obama, Sarah Palin, the first responders during 911, and just about anyone else you can name.

    Is it just me, or is there something seriously ****ed up with our priorities?

    Discussion?

    Article is here.
    Welcome to Capitalism.

    Is it rational? You tell me.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •