Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 157

Thread: Scientists Cite Fastest Case of Human Evolution

  1. #111
    Sage
    Erod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:06 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,072

    Re: Scientists Cite Fastest Case of Human Evolution

    Quote Originally Posted by roughdraft274 View Post
    You'll notice how long ago most of these scientists lived, mostly before and idea of evolution. God made sense because they had no other way to explain the complexity of life without invoking a deity. We no longer have that need.
    You're right. I mean, they never witnessed the genius of American Idol or Oprah. Gimme a break.

    Faraday, Kelvin, Mendel, Newton, Gallileo? Darwin couldn't hold their jockstrap.....as it were. LOL

  2. #112
    Sage
    Erod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:06 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,072

    Re: Scientists Cite Fastest Case of Human Evolution

    Quote Originally Posted by Gray_Fox_86 View Post
    Erod is not that people like Einstein and myself don't believe in a God. We do. What we don't believe in is organized religion like christianity, Judaism, Islam, Buddha, etc. Those religions are as fake as Jenna Jameson's breasts.:p However, you have to understand that we don't still understand the process of how a single celled organism turned into a complex being like a monkey, man, etc. Everything that exists is because of the evolution of those single celled organisms.

    I believe in evolution and the sciences more then in a book written by a starving lunatic.
    I appreciate the civil response, first off.

    Much of what you said is perfectly agreeable to me, and most Christians for that matter. I don't have an issue with Christianity, as a faith and a concept, by I, too, have a great deal of a problem for how it is practiced in many circles. The televangelist world is disgusting to me, as are the perverted priests, and the compound prisons some branches of religion choose as "the way".

    I'm not the church-goer I wish I was, mostly because I don't like a minister over-preaching to me about things he does not truly know. So much we don't know, and perhaps aren't meant to know, and that it just not acceptable to many in the church.

    I've thought a lot on the subject, and won't get into all that here. I believe in God, and I've accepted Jesus as his purest example and "way", but I readily admit that humans too often take those basic messages and run with them in political and social ways that totally loose the meaning behind the messages.
    Last edited by Erod; 07-06-10 at 01:00 PM.

  3. #113
    ThunderCougarFalconBird
    roughdraft274's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,080

    Re: Scientists Cite Fastest Case of Human Evolution

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    You're right. I mean, they never witnessed the genius of American Idol or Oprah. Gimme a break.

    Faraday, Kelvin, Mendel, Newton, Gallileo? Darwin couldn't hold their jockstrap.....as it were. LOL
    I didn't reference Oprah or American Idol.

    They lived before the widespread knowledge of evolution. The idea of a God is much more common idea, and plausible idea, since there were no other alternatives at the time to explain the complexity of life. They made decisions based on the knowledge available.

    If you go back far enough I'm sure you can find great minds that believed in spontaneous generation, flat-earthers, people who think the sun revolves around the earth etc.

    The point remains the same, they lived in ignorance of evolution due to the time in which they lived.

    It's telling that you would twist my post though. It was very intellectually dishonest of you.

  4. #114
    Sage
    Erod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:06 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,072

    Re: Scientists Cite Fastest Case of Human Evolution

    Quote Originally Posted by roughdraft274 View Post
    I didn't reference Oprah or American Idol.

    They lived before the widespread knowledge of evolution. The idea of a God is much more common idea, and plausible idea, since there were no other alternatives at the time to explain the complexity of life. They made decisions based on the knowledge available.

    If you go back far enough I'm sure you can find great minds that believed in spontaneous generation, flat-earthers, people who think the sun revolves around the earth etc.

    The point remains the same, they lived in ignorance of evolution due to the time in which they lived.

    It's telling that you would twist my post though. It was very intellectually dishonest of you.
    Didn't mean to do so, my apologies.. My point is that a certain degree of evolutionary theory is, in fact, provable. Camouflage is a good example of why some species survived and other didn't. People have gotten taller over time. Migratory instincts have developed. I'm speaking in basics, but you get the idea.

    However, evolution as a theory is very, very sketchy at best when it comes to certain creatures morphing into entirely different creatures over time.

    And in the end, whatever the scientific truth of it is, it does not have to conflict with the existence of a higher being. And I don't know how anyone can honestly not consider that a real possibility, unless you're hell-bent on poking a stick at "churchy" people that you don't agree with politically. (Not you necessarily, but in general).

    I have observed this: some of the most testy, grouchy, condescending, and unsocial people I've met in life are atheists. They tend to be overly argumentative, petulant, crabby, and negative about darn near everything.

  5. #115
    ThunderCougarFalconBird
    roughdraft274's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,080

    Re: Scientists Cite Fastest Case of Human Evolution

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    Didn't mean to do so, my apologies.. My point is that a certain degree of evolutionary theory is, in fact, provable. Camouflage is a good example of why some species survived and other didn't. People have gotten taller over time. Migratory instincts have developed. I'm speaking in basics, but you get the idea.

    However, evolution as a theory is very, very sketchy at best when it comes to certain creatures morphing into entirely different creatures over time.
    I disagree. I think there's more than ample evidence. Just one tiny bit of the plethora of evidence out there for us sharing a common ancestor with apes:
    YouTube - Ken Miller on Apes and Humans
    Mind you that Ken Miller is a brilliant scientist and a devout Catholic.

    And in the end, whatever the scientific truth of it is, it does not have to conflict with the existence of a higher being. And I don't know how anyone can honestly not consider that a real possibility, unless you're hell-bent on poking a stick at "churchy" people that you don't agree with politically. (Not you necessarily, but in general).
    I think even most atheists will agree that God can't be disproven. It's a possibility. I just believe a personal God that actually cares about us is an immensely unlikely possibility. We just don't know to be honest. No one really knows.
    I have observed this: some of the most testy, grouchy, condescending, and unsocial people I've met in life are atheists. They tend to be overly argumentative, petulant, crabby, and negative about darn near everything.
    I've observed the same thing of many Christians. My mom used to waitress across the street from a church. She hated saturday mornings because the church goeers would come in a huge group, be rude, and leave no tips.

    With all due respect, do you know any atheists in real life or have you just met them online? I know a few and they're not any different from anyone else as a whole.

    If I were to group Republicans and conservatives and libertarians by some of the people on here with those labels next to their name then I would come to a rather dim conclusion of them also, but I know that most people are much bigger dicks online than in real life, myself included sometimes.

  6. #116
    Educator
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    01-17-15 @ 02:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    629

    Re: Scientists Cite Fastest Case of Human Evolution

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by roughdraft274 View Post
    ...
    They lived before the widespread knowledge of evolution. The idea of a God is much more common idea, and plausible idea, since there were no other alternatives at the time to explain the complexity of life. They made decisions based on the knowledge available.

    If you go back far enough I'm sure you can find great minds that believed in spontaneous generation, flat-earthers, people who think the sun revolves around the earth etc.
    I just wanted to touch up on this. There also are a lot of scientists not on that list. I'd have to agree with roughdraft's point on this too.

    Here are some of the views from Paul Dirac and Stephen Hawking.

    Paul Dirac:

    I cannot understand why we idle discussing religion. If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality. The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination. It is quite understandable why primitive people, who were so much more exposed to the overpowering forces of nature than we are today, should have personified these forces in fear and trembling. But nowadays, when we understand so many natural processes, we have no need for such solutions. I can't for the life of me see how the postulate of an Almighty God helps us in any way. What I do see is that this assumption leads to such unproductive questions as why God allows so much misery and injustice, the exploitation of the poor by the rich and all the other horrors He might have prevented. If religion is still being taught, it is by no means because its ideas still convince us, but simply because some of us want to keep the lower classes quiet. Quiet people are much easier to govern than clamorous and dissatisfied ones. They are also much easier to exploit. Religion is a kind of opium that allows a nation to lull itself into wishful dreams and so forget the injustices that are being perpetrated against the people. Hence the close alliance between those two great political forces, the State and the Church. Both need the illusion that a kindly God rewards—in heaven if not on earth—all those who have not risen up against injustice, who have done their duty quietly and uncomplainingly. That is precisely why the honest assertion that God is a mere product of the human imagination is branded as the worst of all mortal sins.
    Stephen Hawking:

    Religious views

    Hawking takes an agnostic position on matters of religion.[50][51] He has repeatedly used the word "God" (in metaphorical meanings)[52] to illustrate points made in his books and public speeches. His ex-wife, Jane, however, said during their divorce proceedings that he was an atheist.[53][54] Hawking has stated that he is "not religious in the normal sense" and he believes that "the universe is governed by the laws of science. The laws may have been decreed by God, but God does not intervene to break the laws."[50] Hawking compared religion and science in 2010, saying: ""There is a fundamental difference between religion, which is based on authority, [and] science, which is based on observation and reason. Science will win because it works."[55]
    I don't know what the majority of opinion on this matter is among scientists, but I'm guessing that it might be a middle of the road position.

  7. #117
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:11 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,331
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Scientists Cite Fastest Case of Human Evolution

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    Didn't mean to do so, my apologies.. My point is that a certain degree of evolutionary theory is, in fact, provable. Camouflage is a good example of why some species survived and other didn't. People have gotten taller over time. Migratory instincts have developed. I'm speaking in basics, but you get the idea.

    However, evolution as a theory is very, very sketchy at best when it comes to certain creatures morphing into entirely different creatures over time.

    And in the end, whatever the scientific truth of it is, it does not have to conflict with the existence of a higher being. And I don't know how anyone can honestly not consider that a real possibility, unless you're hell-bent on poking a stick at "churchy" people that you don't agree with politically. (Not you necessarily, but in general).

    I have observed this: some of the most testy, grouchy, condescending, and unsocial people I've met in life are atheists. They tend to be overly argumentative, petulant, crabby, and negative about darn near everything.
    The bolded part is where you make your mistake in understanding. Chimps, Humans 96 Percent the Same, Gene Study Finds

    At a genetic level, we are 96 % the same as a chimp, who is not even directly in the same line of descent. If you actually put a human and chimp next to each other and compared physical similarities, you would again see remarkable numbers of those similarities, far more than differences.

    Further, speciation simply is the process of enough change that the new species can no longer interbreed with the old. Looking at, for example, the insect class, you will see that there can be quite subtle differences in different species.

    Evolution happens over a very long time SPACE.com -- Origin of Life on Earth: Where and when did life begin?. The first microbes date back 3.5 billion years, and multicell organisms 1 billion years ago. Over the long time period, in vastly different environments, there is plenty of time to account for the diversity of life.

    One last comment: While you generalization about atheists is not accurate, there are enough of the people you refer to to know what you mean, and the loud ones(Dawkins for example) are obnoxious enough to make the rest of us look bad.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  8. #118
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Scientists Cite Fastest Case of Human Evolution

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    Why are we so less genetically diverse as a species than is the species we are most closely similar too?
    I'm not sure I follow. I don't believe that Neaderthals had been mapped out genetically in order to make a determination like that.

    I do know that mitochondrial DNA was looked at and showed that it is highly likely that Homo Neandertalis and Homo sapiens are separate species (as opposed to the "same species" arguments made in the past), thus making them ourt "closest" known relative species.

    If you mean closest living relative species, I'm pretty sure that Bonobos are less genetically diverse than Humans.


    Why are we so separate mentally and physically from all other species on earth? Species that share much greater physical and mental similarities to each other than we do to our closest relative.
    Again, not sure I follow. Neanderthals weren't very different from modern Humans in mentality and physicality. We know that they buried their dead with flowers and made musical instruments, and physically the biggest dsifference is that we are more gracile.

    Why are we so much more adaptable to our environment than any other species?
    We aren't more adaptable to our environment than other species are, we are simply more likely to adapt the environment to suit our needs. Clothing, houses, the use of fire, etc are examples of this adapting the environment.

    As far as inherent adaptabilty goes, it's pretty hard to beat the common rat.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  9. #119
    onomatopoeic
    mbig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    04-20-17 @ 08:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,350

    Re: Scientists Cite Fastest Case of Human Evolution

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    You say you don't like/agree with evangelicals yet you post a website that is clearly Religous/Creationist and Rely on Their self-interested characterizations rather than more neutral ones.
    http://www.godandscience.org/
    For just one.

    Albert Einstein - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Religious views

    The question of scientific determinism gave rise to questions about Einstein’s position on theological determinism, and whether or not he believed in God, or in a god. In 1929, Einstein told Rabbi Herbert S. Goldstein "I believe in Spinoza’s God, who reveals Himself in the lawful harmony of the world, not in a God Who concerns Himself with the fate and the doings of mankind."[87] In a 1954 letter, he wrote, "I do Not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly.”[88]
    In a letter to philosopher Erik Gutkind, Einstein remarked, "The word God is for me Nothing more than the expression and product of human Weakness, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still purely primitive, legends which are nevertheless pretty Childish."[89]

    Einstein had previously explored this belief, that man could not understand the nature of God, when he gave an interview to Time Magazine explaining:
    I'm not an atheist and I don't think I can call myself a pantheist. We are in the position of a little child entering a huge library filled with books in many different languages. The child knows someone must have written those books. It does not know how. The child dimly suspects a mysterious order in the arrangement of the books but doesn't know what it is. That, it seems to me, is the attitude of even the most intelligent human being toward God.
    —Albert Einstein[90]
    So perhaps you should add the big-chip Einstein to the other side.. indeed add him to those "nasty, condescending" atheists.
    Last edited by mbig; 07-06-10 at 07:04 PM.
    I'm personally sick of not being able to dunk a basketball because of racism.
    anon

  10. #120
    Educator
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    01-17-15 @ 02:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    629

    Re: Scientists Cite Fastest Case of Human Evolution

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    Why are we so less genetically diverse as a species than is the species we are most closely similar too?
    I'll try to answer too. I think Tucker is right. I don't humans are any less genetically diverse than other species.

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    Why are we so separate mentally and physically from all other species on earth? Species that share much greater physical and mental similarities to each other than we do to our closest relative.
    There were Neanderthals that were similar to us but a different species. Then they died out and it's thought it was because of the competition from humans. Each species has their own 'niche' and if they share the same niche with another species, they will compete with each other for resources until usually one of the species wins out. So each species needs their own "space" and is different from other species.

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    Why are we so much more adaptable to our environment than any other species?
    I guess its because of evolution. We evolved to make use of environment. Neanderthals also evolved to make use of their environment too, but they died out.

Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •