Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 23

Thread: Avertible catastrophe

  1. #11
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 06:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,740

    Re: Avertible catastrophe

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Oil Spill, Foreign Help and the Jones Act | FactCheck.org

    The Jones Act isn't being waived because it doesn't actually apply here.
    Also, many of the offers of "aid" are actually offers to sell us resources. It's not aid if they're making you pay for it!



    fact check is a little premature in this, I have already shown in other threads that fact check is wrong.


    Just because they call themselves "factcheck" does not mean they are infallible.
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  2. #12
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,526

    Re: Avertible catastrophe

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Oil Spill, Foreign Help and the Jones Act | FactCheck.org

    The Jones Act isn't being waived because it doesn't actually apply here.
    Also, many of the offers of "aid" are actually offers to sell us resources. It's not aid if they're making you pay for it!
    Ok, then what other excuse are the Libs going to pull out of their butts to defend Buckey's incompetance?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  3. #13
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,849

    Re: Avertible catastrophe

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Ok, then what other excuse are the Libs going to pull out of their butts to defend Buckey's incompetance?
    I was providing evidence that contradicts the GOP talking point of late, that the president has "refused all aid" for some unspecified reason. Seems like most of the aid has actually been accepted, unless you have some evidence to the contrary?

    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend_Hellh0und View Post
    fact check is a little premature in this, I have already shown in other threads that fact check is wrong.


    Just because they call themselves "factcheck" does not mean they are infallible.
    They link their sources pretty well, if you have counter-evidence by all means post it.
    Last edited by Deuce; 07-01-10 at 06:52 PM.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  4. #14
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Avertible catastrophe

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Perhaps, but you'd have to expect that the government acts reasonably, which most often it doesn't do.
    It's not like a decision like this requires a lot of bureaucracy. The EPA administrator and the attorney general should be able to make this decision by themselves, without cutting through a lot of red tape. If that isn't the case, it needs to be changed. If it is, and they didn't do it, then someone needs to be held accountable.
    Last edited by Kandahar; 07-01-10 at 08:12 PM.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  5. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Seen
    01-03-16 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,761

    Re: Avertible catastrophe

    Why would these barges NEED TO ASK for american permission??? It's my understanding that at 12 miles out it's international waters, it's also my understanding that in naval tradition there's a such thing as 'salvage rights'... so, they could just be 'passing through' suck up all the oil they can handle and float on back to their country of origin to get it refined, or can someone correct me on the technicalities?

    It's the same thing with the feds stopping them from blocking the estuaries and fisheries??? I figured they wouldn't have the jurisdiction in the matter to tell the states what they can or can't do in the face of the incoming catastrophe??

  6. #16
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Avertible catastrophe

    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend_Hellh0und View Post
    fact check is a little premature in this, I have already shown in other threads that fact check is wrong.

    Just because they call themselves "factcheck" does not mean they are infallible.
    But the actual code of the law doesn't.

    Section 46 USC 55113

    46 USC 55113 - Use of foreign documented oil spill response vessels | OpenJurist

    Jones Act does not apply here.

    The Act was explicitly amended to allow this years ago. Reading the actual text of the law shows that the law in question is not applicable. So either you can stop harping on the Jones Act or you can lie about what it says.

    You are barking up the wrong tree here.
    Last edited by obvious Child; 07-02-10 at 03:24 AM.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  7. #17
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Avertible catastrophe

    Alright, can we drop the bullsh*t reason that the Jones Act is responsible for delaying aid?

    The Jones Act should be repealed regardless, but it is not applicable here due to Section 46 USC 55113.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  8. #18
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    05-13-11 @ 09:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    4,075
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Avertible catastrophe

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Oil Spill, Foreign Help and the Jones Act | FactCheck.org

    The Jones Act isn't being waived because it doesn't actually apply here.
    Also, many of the offers of "aid" are actually offers to sell us resources. It's not aid if they're making you pay for it!
    I never actually assumed that that BP would not have to pay for whatever assistance was available.
    Nor did I assume that the US was going to get this assistance free.
    Aid is aid and in this instance where Obama & his crooks are so patently inept at handling this crisis, where BP obviously requires the expertise of others, be they foreign or not, to deny that aid because it is going top have to be paid for is simply put, rank stupidity.

  9. #19
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,526

    Re: Avertible catastrophe

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    But the actual code of the law doesn't.

    Section 46 USC 55113

    46 USC 55113 - Use of foreign documented oil spill response vessels | OpenJurist

    Jones Act does not apply here.

    The Act was explicitly amended to allow this years ago. Reading the actual text of the law shows that the law in question is not applicable. So either you can stop harping on the Jones Act or you can lie about what it says.

    You are barking up the wrong tree here.
    I guess that leaves Obama with zero excuse for sitting with his thumb up his ass, while the GOM filled with oil.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  10. #20
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Avertible catastrophe

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    I guess that leaves Obama with zero excuse for sitting with his thumb up his ass, while the GOM filled with oil.
    I wasn't aware that Obama micromanaged everything in the federal government. Are you willing to hold Bush to the same standard? I didn't think so.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •