Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 106

Thread: Boehner wants to raise the retirement age to 70

  1. #71
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,670

    Re: Boehner wants to raise the retirement age to 70

    Quote Originally Posted by LiberalAvenger View Post
    You are not the only one who works hard. What makes you so special that you can ignore the law?
    Where on earth have i suggested I view myself as either special or above the law? We were discussing seizing peoples disposable income and giving it to the poor pathetic crippled and dependent pets...

  2. #72
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,670

    Re: Boehner wants to raise the retirement age to 70

    Quote Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
    It seems as though you're doing what Auntie is doing... assuming that retiring means doing nothing. To me, retiring means doing all the things I can't do while working full time. Who said anything about doing nothing? Retiring, to me, means sailing around the world. Going boogie-boarding on the Zambezi, the Pacuare, the Rio Futaleufu etc, . Bungee jumping at Victoria Falls. Climbing to at least the 2nd base camp of Everest. Seeing Petra, the great pyramids, Valley of Kings, and riding a camel in the Sahara. Going on a walkabout in Australia and then diving the Great Barrier Reef (and maybe getting paid to take others diving there ) Visiting Tikal, Nazca Peru, and the Andes. Ice diving in Alaska. Wandering around the Irish countryside. Taking a mud bath in Iceland. Dive the Andria Doria. Dive the Red Sea. Etc, etc, etc.

    And of course I could supplement my income, I plan on it. I have many skills in many different areas that can be utilized all over the world. I just don't want to do it full time. Odd jobs here and there, no problem. Full time work - sucks.



    Sounds like part of your issue is that you don't have a choice in the matter. Which is entirely understandable. The grass is always greener...
    I absolutely hope that becomes a reality for you. I think we are talking semantics...and probably saying the same thing. I intend to 'work' til I die. Not in on office...not for others...and certainly not because I have to. I also intend to full on enjoy life as I have and continue to do. So...yeah...I think we are on the same page.

  3. #73
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,670

    Re: Boehner wants to raise the retirement age to 70

    Quote Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
    Back to the main point though:

    Social Security doesn't have enough money. Assuming we're not going to get rid of it, the choices are:

    (a) raise the retirement age;

    (b) limit who gets it and how much; and/or

    (c) raise taxes.

    I prefer a and b myself.
    Im fine with raising the retirment age with an option for keeping it where it is for those that are medically unable to continue working. The workforce will have to be restructured of course to ensure agism doesnt prevent older folk from working. Oh...and since people will be staying in those jobs longer unemployment will increase and the higher paying jobs will stay in the hands of the older and more established employees. So...some consequences there...

    Its usually the folks that dont have much to lose that would opt for option b.

  4. #74
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Boehner wants to raise the retirement age to 70

    Quote Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
    Because I don't think that is a real possibility that will get considered by Congress.

    And it has real problems: LOTS of people will "opt out" because they want their money now, and don't think about the future. Then, when they retire, they'll be broke and have to go on welfare, become homeless, take up money at emergency rooms, or otherwise become a burden to the system without having ever contributing to the system at all. That will break the system even more, and put us even deeper in debt.
    While I agree it's not a realistic view given our current welfare state - it might just take something radical like removing the societal welfare to force people to plan for their future. For example, if said person blew their money and became destitute - their only salvation would be charity. The only reason we are in this mess is because of government putting us here. Now government is supposed to be our savior by legislating the problem THEY caused in the first place. What did people do prior to 1935 without Social Security? What did people do to survive before the 1930's welfare, food stamps, etc? Apparently they dd survive enough to increase our population, wealth and strength of this country.

    My point here is, we cannot see our way free of the last 80 years of welfare creation. Government isn't the answer it's the problem. Here's a solution: Provide an opt out solution with the goal of dissolving SS in 20 years. Allow a 2% of the population (maximum) to opt out and require them to take at a minimum 50% of the money they no longer will be paying into SS, to now be put into a retirement account which they cannot withdraw from, but CAN invest. This 2% can change their mind and opt back into SS (with a penalty) in a 5 year time frame. [edit] Increase the % over time to include 100% of all workers in the 20 year period and issue a pay back for residual money left in the system - then close down SS. (Sorry - i didn't finish my thought on this)

    In my case, I'm not counting on my SS to be there and am investing in my retirement on my own. I have another 23 years before I would be eligible to get SS benefits but I've mentally and fiscally already written all the money being paid into that system as non-existent. Were I to have that money available, I think I could do a better job with a better return than the government. The government however, needs SS to continue as it's a slush fund to use as they want instead of for their constituents retirement. Therefore, you and I and everyone else who's worked or is working or will work is being ripped off. Sorry if I'm not happy about that.
    Last edited by Ockham; 06-30-10 at 03:08 PM.
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  5. #75
    Student Tedminator's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    03-07-12 @ 06:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    190

    Thumbs up Re: Boehner wants to raise the retirement age to 70

    Boehner wants to raise the retirement age to 70
    sounds like a good idea to me.
    Last edited by Tedminator; 06-30-10 at 03:08 PM.

  6. #76
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    virginia
    Last Seen
    04-01-13 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    16,881
    Blog Entries
    19

    Re: Boehner wants to raise the retirement age to 70

    Quote Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
    Back to the main point though:

    Social Security doesn't have enough money. Assuming we're not going to get rid of it, the choices are:

    (a) raise the retirement age;

    (b) limit who gets it and how much; and/or

    (c) raise taxes.

    I prefer a and b myself.
    How about ending the ****ing wars. A trillion here, a trillion there, soon your talking real money.

  7. #77
    Professor
    Groucho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Pocono Mountains, PA
    Last Seen
    05-24-11 @ 03:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,363

    Re: Boehner wants to raise the retirement age to 70

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    What did people do to survive before the 1930's welfare, food stamps, etc?
    They became homeless hobos, slept in alleys, and watched as their children died young. Many formed the US Communist party and became socialists in opposition to this. Socialists were elected all over the US, there were riots, and people actually thought that communism was a reasonable alternative to living in abject poverty.

    Seriously, do some research about what life was like before. I certainly don't want to go back there.

  8. #78
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,670

    Re: Boehner wants to raise the retirement age to 70

    Quote Originally Posted by LiberalAvenger View Post
    How about ending the ****ing wars. A trillion here, a trillion there, soon your talking real money.
    Amen...get us out of Bosnia NOW!!!

  9. #79
    Professor
    Groucho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Pocono Mountains, PA
    Last Seen
    05-24-11 @ 03:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,363

    Re: Boehner wants to raise the retirement age to 70

    Quote Originally Posted by LiberalAvenger View Post
    How about ending the ****ing wars. A trillion here, a trillion there, soon your talking real money.
    Well, come now. You know that's unreasonable. It's much more important to spend $10,000 on a single bomb than it is to feed a family for a year.

  10. #80
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    virginia
    Last Seen
    04-01-13 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    16,881
    Blog Entries
    19

    Re: Boehner wants to raise the retirement age to 70

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    While I agree it's not a realistic view given our current welfare state - it might just take something radical like removing the societal welfare to force people to plan for their future. For example, if said person blew their money and became destitute - their only salvation would be charity. The only reason we are in this mess is because of government putting us here. Now government is supposed to be our savior by legislating the problem THEY caused in the first place. What did people do prior to 1935 without Social Security? What did people do to survive before the 1930's welfare, food stamps, etc? Apparently they dd survive enough to increase our population, wealth and strength of this country.

    My point here is, we cannot see our way free of the last 80 years of welfare creation. Government isn't the answer it's the problem. Here's a solution: Provide an opt out solution with the goal of dissolving SS in 20 years. Allow a 2% of the population (maximum) to opt out and require them to take at a minimum 50% of the money they no longer will be paying into SS, to now be put into a retirement account which they cannot withdraw from, but CAN invest. This 2% can change their mind and opt back into SS (with a penalty) in a 5 year time frame. [edit] Increase the % over time to include 100% of all workers in the 20 year period and issue a pay back for residual money left in the system - then close down SS. (Sorry - i didn't finish my thought on this)

    In my case, I'm not counting on my SS to be there and am investing in my retirement on my own. I have another 23 years before I would be eligible to get SS benefits but I've mentally and fiscally already written all the money being paid into that system as non-existent. Were I to have that money available, I think I could do a better job with a better return than the government. The government however, needs SS to continue as it's a slush fund to use as they want instead of for their constituents retirement. Therefore, you and I and everyone else who's worked or is working or will work is being ripped off. Sorry if I'm not happy about that.
    Do it and it would become like Mad Max Beyond the Thunderddome.

    This country would become like Mexico forcing many people into survival of the fittest.

    After the recent economic meeting in Canada we may be headed for world anarchy.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •