Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 66

Thread: Gen Stanley McChrystal to retire from US Army

  1. #11
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Re: Gen Stanley McChrystal to retire from US Army

    Quote Originally Posted by donsutherland1 View Post
    That he exercised bad judgment in what resulted in the Rolling Stone piece and failed to establish strong working relationships with key members of the team responsible for Afghanistan does not in any way take away from his considerable accomplishments during his lengthy career in the Army. One should not lose sight of what he did achieve nor the sacrifices he made on behalf of his country.
    There are some calling for Obama to clean house, but jerking the ambassador and others that couldn't work with McChrystal back to Washington and firing them. That although McChrystal made a mistake, blame and accountability needs to be spread around to those who were really incompetent over there.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  2. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    10-26-10 @ 06:34 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,978

    Re: Gen Stanley McChrystal to retire from US Army

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    hopefully this line of thought will be remembered when he pulls a Shinseki (sp?) and starts the talk show circuit revealing all about the Obama administration......

    j-mac
    If he behaves in ways that could possibly be construed as further endangering our troops while this war is still ongoing, I can assure you it will not endear him to the American public in any way.

    It's time for McCrystal to buy a cabin in the Adirondacks and spend some quality time communing with nature and perfecting his fly-fishing technique.
    The appropriate time for tell-all books and interviews is far in the future, if ever.
    He has already earned himself a reputation as an individual who can't keep his mouth shut, to the detriment of himself and our troops.

  3. #13
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 06:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,740

    Re: Gen Stanley McChrystal to retire from US Army

    It is quite amazing the vitriol some have for an honorable American who served his country, simply because he was around people who dissed thier guy.
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  4. #14
    Global Moderator
    Bodhidarma approves bigly
    Andalublue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Granada, España
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    26,111

    Re: Gen Stanley McChrystal to retire from US Army

    I'd never heard of this guy until he was put in charge in Afghanistan, so I don't know whether he was a great servant of the American people or a brown-nosing, paper-pushing, politician-in-uniform who scaled the greasy pole any way he could. I'm sure some of you out there could make an argument.

    What IS undeniable is that he made a serious error of judgement with the Rolling Stone article and that he had failed to make strong enough alliances in Washington to innoculate himself from the effects of said error of judgement. If he was one of the good guys, then this is a sad end to his career. If he was a military politician who screwed up politically, then too bad.
    "The crisis will end when fear changes sides" - Pablo Iglesias Turrión

    "Austerity is used as a cover to reconfigure society and increase inequality and injustice." - Jeremy Corbyn

  5. #15
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,715

    Re: Gen Stanley McChrystal to retire from US Army

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    It absolutely takes away from his career, because he ends it in disgrace. You can rationalize his "bad judgment" however you like, but to ignore the fact that his legacy in history will be one of "bad judgment" is disingenuous. Political concerns may be allowing him to save face and retire honorably, but he failed to live up to his duty as an officer, period.
    You make the mistake of thinking that those of us that served and retired give a flying **** about civilian leaderships opinion of us. Disgrace? in whose eyes? Certainly not the eyes of the military. Speaking only for myself...I disagree with his actions but certainly understand the sentiment.

  6. #16
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,715

    Re: Gen Stanley McChrystal to retire from US Army

    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend_Hellh0und View Post
    It is quite amazing the vitriol some have for an honorable American who served his country, simply because he was around people who dissed thier guy.
    He insulted their god. Shame on him.

    now...thinking folk might consider that even though it WAS WRONG for them to air their opinions in RS, MAYBE JUST MAYBE they denigrated the civilian leaders because they were weak, incometent assholes...and might recognize that there should be some change needed there as well...

  7. #17
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 12:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    11,691

    Re: Gen Stanley McChrystal to retire from US Army

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    It absolutely takes away from his career, because he ends it in disgrace. You can rationalize his "bad judgment" however you like, but to ignore the fact that his legacy in history will be one of "bad judgment" is disingenuous. Political concerns may be allowing him to save face and retire honorably, but he failed to live up to his duty as an officer, period.
    Just so my view on this issue is clear, my position is:

    1. When evaluating General McChrystal's entire legacy, his good and bad moments have to be considered. Otherwise, the picture would not be complete, much less accurate.

    2. By recognizing that the General engaged in bad judgment, etc., one is not compelled to discount his positive achievements. The two are not mutually exclusive.

    3. A little professional consideration in handling the General's departure is not a bad thing. Firing him outright might have led to some feelings of vindication among those whom the General offended. In terms of substantive policy, such a move would have accomplished nothing more than his resignation did. Worse, an outright firing might have had an adverse morale impact on the military. The General did the right thing in offering his resignation. The President did the right thing in accepting it.

    4. With respect to message #9 concerning General Eric Shinseki (whose judgment on Iraq happened to prove correct), like General Shinseki, General McChrystal will soon be a civilian. As such he will be free to publicly express political opinions, including those related to the U.S. military strategy in Afghanistan, the President's policies, etc. Prior to then, the chain of command principle barred such conduct, otherwise we would not have been discussing the Rolling Stone article, much less the apparent end of his military career.

  8. #18
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 12:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    11,691

    Re: Gen Stanley McChrystal to retire from US Army

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    There are some calling for Obama to clean house, but jerking the ambassador and others that couldn't work with McChrystal back to Washington and firing them. That although McChrystal made a mistake, blame and accountability needs to be spread around to those who were really incompetent over there.
    The President already reprimanded his team for their squabbling so to speak and instructed them to work together. Among those members, even if he might be difficult to work with, Amb. Eikenberry's judgment on Afghanistan has proved most accurate to date. My guess is that the next review of Afghanistan strategy slated to begin late this year might result in additional personnel changes, changes in the goals/strategy, etc. There is growing impatience in Congress on both sides of the aisle with respect to the situation in Afghanistan. The Karzai regime is widely viewed in Afghanistan as illegitimate, incompetent, and corrupt. There is also growing fiscal pressure in the U.S./West that will make it more difficult down the road to avoid a hard-nosed review as to whether financial resources could be better used elsewhere e.g., deficit reduction. Manpower gaps could also emerge should allies facing their own difficult choices withdraw troops.

    Given that policy context and environment, a lack of significant and sustained progress in Afghanistan could accelerate prospects for a rapid drawdown of U.S. forces. Under such a scenario, Vice President Biden's narrower strategy of focusing only on Al Qaeda could be adopted. On the other hand, meaningful and sustained progress could lead to a more measured end game. Hopefully, given the large interests at stake, rash decisions will be avoided, the necessary strategic changes made, and a successful outcome (meaning the permanent reduction of risk that the Taliban-Al Qaeda would regain a safe haven in Afghanistan) pursued.

  9. #19
    Educator
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    01-17-15 @ 02:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    629

    Re: Gen Stanley McChrystal to retire from US Army

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    He insulted their god. Shame on him.

    now...thinking folk might consider that even though it WAS WRONG for them to air their opinions in RS, MAYBE JUST MAYBE they denigrated the civilian leaders because they were weak, incometent assholes...and might recognize that there should be some change needed there as well...
    Maybe it's the other way around. Maybe generals that denigrate their civilian leaders are the incompetent ones. Competent generals don't denigrate their superiors, if they have serious disagreements or grievances, they voice them properly, just like Shinseki did during the Bush administration. Do you think Petraeus would pull a stunt like this? I doubt it. And besides, he pretty much got what he wanted, he got the troops and had pretty much free reign over Afghanistan, don't know what he was complaining about.

    I'm not so concerned about the Rolling Stones problem, although it was pretty bad, as I am about his policies as commander in Afghanistan which probably led to more US troop casualties and a decline in the situation. Maybe he was a good special forces commander, but when it comes to a big and proper command, I don't think McChrystal was cut out for it.

  10. #20
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: Gen Stanley McChrystal to retire from US Army

    Quote Originally Posted by 1069 View Post
    He has already earned himself a reputation as an individual who can't keep his mouth shut, to the detriment of himself and our troops.
    Something that is primarily a media driven thing.

    I've still, to this day, yet to have anyone provide an actual damning or obviously over the line comment directly quoted to him.

    Every statement made directly by him in the magazine article were extremely light at most and completely benign for the majority of them. The only comments arguably made that he needed to "keep his mouth shut" in regards to stating were nothing but heresay reported by unnamed sources and aides to a reporter who had a definitive and obvious bias and agenda.

    His only seeming mistake in any of this was the idiocy of allowing the magazine into his inner circle in the first place and assuming it was going to take a fair and neutral position in the story rather than have an obvious agenda of searching out deterimental comments and situations from those around him.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •