Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 37

Thread: Gulf Coast Governors Leaving National Guard Idle

  1. #11
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,082

    Re: Gulf Coast Governors Leaving National Guard Idle

    ... Why is the oil spill the responsibility of the federal government but Katrina was the responsibility of states?
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  2. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Gulf Coast Governors Leaving National Guard Idle

    The oil has only barely reached the Florida coast, so deploying the guard, up until this week, would have been extremely premature. They don't have the equiment to put up booms in the water, so what exactly would they have been used to do? I can see some outrage at Louisian and Alabama, which have already been heavily impacted by oil, but Florida hadn't seen any oil until about Wednesday of this week, when it started hitting Pensacola (the farthest western city in the panhandle).

  3. #13
    Guru
    BWG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    South Coast
    Last Seen
    12-04-17 @ 11:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,203

    Re: Gulf Coast Governors Leaving National Guard Idle

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst
    There is nothing in the Louisiana National Gaurd system, that would be an asset to containing, stopping, or cleaning up the oil slick...typical leftist stupidity...and covering for Buckey.
    Oh????


    GRAND ISLE, La., May 11, 2010 – The Louisiana National Guard is conducting around-the-clock operations to fill in a breach near here in support of operations related to the oil spill off the Louisiana coast.

    Guardsmen of the 922nd Horizontal Engineer Company, 769th Engineer Battalion, have been working day and night to fill in a 700-foot gap on Elmer’s Island in an effort to keep oil-tainted water out of an area that is critical to the state’s shrimp and tourism industries.

    Defense.gov News Article: Louisiana Guardsmen Continue Oil Spill Response
    Sounds similar to building sand dunes. Wasn't Bobby crying about the feds not building him sand dunes?

    GRAND TERRE ISLAND, La. -- During a visit here on Wednesday, Gov. Bobby Jindal got his first look at the vacuum barges being operated very successfully by the Louisiana National Guard.

    "We would absolutely not be making the progress we've made today if it hadn't been for Guardsmen laying out tiger dams ... Hesco baskets, deploying these suction pumps on these barges, out there every day, helping us to fight this oil spill," Jindal told local reporters.
    [...]
    Along with this mission, about 1,100 Louisiana Guard members are deploying sandbags, Hesco baskets and other coastal barriers to keep the oil from spreading into sensitive inland marshes.


    National Guard: Real heroes of oil spill response, Jindal says
    The Guardsmen will provide security, medical capabilities, engineers, clean-up efforts and communication support.

    Governor Jindal Activates Louisiana National Guard To Support Oil Spill Cleanup | Gov Monitor
    Hmmm, deploying sandbags and cleaning up sounds pretty menial to me.
    “We just simply don’t know how to govern” - Rep. Steve Womack (R-AR) a member of the House Budget Committee

  4. #14
    You kids get off my lawn!
    Glinda's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    06-11-11 @ 02:01 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,716

    Re: Gulf Coast Governors Leaving National Guard Idle

    Jindal is a weasel of momentous proportions for trying to politicize this disaster, and make Obama his scapegoat. Jindal's got thousands of troops at his fingertips willing and able to undertake any measures necessary to help in this disaster, yet he refuses to put them to work. Instead, he whines that he's not getting enough help.

    Bull****. He's playing politics, pure and simple.

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Soldiers aren't to be used for menial labor, it's a violation of Army regulations.
    Really?

    The National Guard may be called up for active duty by state governors or territorial adjutant general to help respond to domestic emergencies and disasters, such as those caused by hurricanes, floods, and earthquakes.

    In January and February 2007, National Guard troops from 8 states were activated to go help shovel snow, drop hay for starving cattle, deliver food and necessities to stranded people in their houses, and help control traffic and rescue stranded motorists in blizzards dropping feet of snow across the country. --Wiki
    Apparently, you're wrong. And I'm shocked. SHOCKED.

  5. #15
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,524

    Re: Gulf Coast Governors Leaving National Guard Idle

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    ... Why is the oil spill the responsibility of the federal government but Katrina was the responsibility of states?
    Because the states were the first ones that were able to respond, since Hurricane Katrina actually hit Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama.

    In the case of the slick, the states are the only ones doing anything, no thanks to the Feds.

    IMO, it's the local, state and Federal government, who is responsible for taking care of disasters. Obviously, as seen in both Katrina--when the state and local systems broke down--and in the case of this spill--when the Federal system broke down--when one of the three doesn't fulfill it's end of the deal, the whole system breaks down. It sucks when, at some level, political leaders drop the ball, for political reasons.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  6. #16
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,524

    Re: Gulf Coast Governors Leaving National Guard Idle

    Quote Originally Posted by Glinda View Post
    Jindal is a weasel of momentous proportions for trying to politicize this disaster, and make Obama his scapegoat. Jindal's got thousands of troops at his fingertips willing and able to undertake any measures necessary to help in this disaster, yet he refuses to put them to work. Instead, he whines that he's not getting enough help.

    Bull****. He's playing politics, pure and simple.



    Really?



    Apparently, you're wrong. And I'm shocked. SHOCKED.
    Ahh! And, you know I'm wrong, because of your extensive military service and knowledge of Army Regulations? Yes?

    Since you're so knowledgable of the the National Gaurd system, how's-about you tell us, in detail, what assets the Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama and Florida National Gaurd have, that is even remotely deployable/employable to this oil slick. I don't expect and answer, but thanks in advance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  7. #17
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,524

    Re: Gulf Coast Governors Leaving National Guard Idle

    Quote Originally Posted by BWG View Post
    Oh????




    Sounds similar to building sand dunes. Wasn't Bobby crying about the feds not building him sand dunes?





    Hmmm, deploying sandbags and cleaning up sounds pretty menial to me.
    So, the NG isn't sitting idle?

    You do understand the meaning of, "menial labor", right? Building sandbag levees and tar ball patrol are two very different things.

    Jindal isn't crying about the Feds not building sand berms. He's crying, because the Feds won't give him permission to build sand berms.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  8. #18
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,849

    Re: Gulf Coast Governors Leaving National Guard Idle

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Ahh! And, you know I'm wrong, because of your extensive military service and knowledge of Army Regulations? Yes?

    Since you're so knowledgable of the the National Gaurd system, how's-about you tell us, in detail, what assets the Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama and Florida National Gaurd have, that is even remotely deployable/employable to this oil slick. I don't expect and answer, but thanks in advance.
    Oh you must be right then, mr. military expert. The National Guard would never do things like stack sandbags during a flood. Nope. No menial labor!
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  9. #19
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,524

    Re: Gulf Coast Governors Leaving National Guard Idle

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Oh you must be right then, mr. military expert. The National Guard would never do things like stack sandbags during a flood. Nope. No menial labor!
    Great! Another one of the, "I'm smarter than you are", Libbos that doesn't know what menial labor is.

    Since you're smarter than the rest of us, explain to us which assets the Louisiana National Gaurd possesses, that can be deployed/employed against this spill, because obviously, there's zero danger of a flood, at this time. As I stated about Glinda, I don't expect and answer, but thanks in advance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  10. #20
    Guru
    BWG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    South Coast
    Last Seen
    12-04-17 @ 11:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,203

    Re: Gulf Coast Governors Leaving National Guard Idle

    If anything, you are good for a good laugh...LOL!!!

    First you say:

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst
    Please, explain to us what assets the Army National Guard has, that could remotely be deployed/employed to deal with the oil slick.
    and

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst
    There is nothing in the Louisiana National Gaurd system, that would be an asset to containing, stopping, or cleaning up the oil slick...typical leftist stupidity...and covering for Buckey.
    Going so far as to bold NOTHING.

    And then you repeat it for a third time, after being shown where the NG has in fact been deployed containing, stopping or cleaning up the oil slick.

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst
    Since you're so knowledgable of the the National Gaurd system, how's-about you tell us, in detail, what assets the Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama and Florida National Gaurd have, that is even remotely deployable/employable to this oil slick.


    Then...

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst
    So, the NG isn't sitting idle?
    So what happened here? What awakened you to the acknowledgment that the NG is in fact containing, stopping or cleaning up the oil slick?

    The majority of the NG sitting idle is the whole premise of this thread. Jindal has 6,000 Louisiana National Guard troops available to him. He has deployed only 1,053 but all he can do is cry how the federal government won't help him.
    Political posturing.


    Quote Originally Posted by apdst
    You do understand the meaning of, "menial labor", right? Building sandbag levees and tar ball patrol are two very different things.
    You do know what tiger dams and Hesco baskets are, right? To deploy them is nothing but hard back-breaking work or manual labor, sometimes called menial labor.


    Quote Originally Posted by apdst
    Jindal isn't crying about the Feds not building sand berms. He's crying, because the Feds won't give him permission to build sand berms.
    RiverRat gave you a detailed explanation of why that idea wouldn't fly.
    Political posturing.

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst
    Since you're smarter than the rest of us, explain to us which assets the Louisiana National Gaurd possesses, that can be deployed/employed against this spill,...
    ?????? ???????

    You've been shown repeatedly and even acknowledged that a tiny portion of the NG hasn't been idle concerning this spill.
    “We just simply don’t know how to govern” - Rep. Steve Womack (R-AR) a member of the House Budget Committee

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •