Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 206

Thread: Petraeus to Modify Afghanistan Rules of Engagement, Source Says

  1. #161
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    10-26-10 @ 05:34 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,978

    Re: Petraeus to Modify Afghanistan Rules of Engagement, Source Says

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    After things get going steady under Petraeus people are going to be complaining and missing McChrystal.
    If the war continues to go badly, or worsens, yes. They will.

  2. #162
    Educator
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    01-17-15 @ 01:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    629

    Re: Petraeus to Modify Afghanistan Rules of Engagement, Source Says

    Quote Originally Posted by ptif219 View Post
    As NATO commander NATO had to follow and approve his roe
    I'm not sure on this. But I think that as NATO commander he would be the one approving the ROE and he was the one who created them.

  3. #163
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    07-10-10 @ 09:05 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    143

    Re: Petraeus to Modify Afghanistan Rules of Engagement, Source Says

    Quote Originally Posted by 1069 View Post
    What does this mean?
    It means that the three killed, represented all of the element engaged. It was a three man team.

  4. #164
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    07-10-10 @ 09:05 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    143

    Re: Petraeus to Modify Afghanistan Rules of Engagement, Source Says

    Quote Originally Posted by Opteron View Post
    Uh, you have no idea what you're talking about.


    That's exactly what I'm saying and that's how it is. Again, how does my own article contradict the "lone gunman theory"? It doesn't. He issued the orders. What part of that don't you get that they are his orders?
    Your argument is fallacious. It assumes that McCrystal is authorized to simply determine such legalities; and it is absurd. You're claiming that because McCrystal replaced his predecessor, on the premise that the replacement was due to the number of civilians being killed, that McCrystal himself constructed the modified ROEs... ROEs are determined by the COMMANDER IN CHIEF... That's a fundamental function of American governance. And one which CAN produce unlimited warfare, or the sort of mamby pamby, psycho-absurdities of trying to win the hearts and minds of the enemy.

    What you don't seem to recognize is that the Taliban are CIVILIANS... And like their al Aqaeda comrades, they're adroit in the art of propaganda; and as a result, they're fairly familiar with the basic tenets of guerilla warfare and force multiplying tactics of such insurgencies; part and parcel of such being that civilian insurgencies produce civilian casualties and the natural desire of civilized people is to prevent such casualties, thus natural effectiveness of guerilla insurgencies and the reason that they were outlawed by the international community; as they represent a threat to civilization itself.

  5. #165
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    07-10-10 @ 09:05 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    143

    Re: Petraeus to Modify Afghanistan Rules of Engagement, Source Says

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    After things get going steady under Petraeus people are going to be complaining and missing McChrystal.
    That's very true. But those people will be the Taliban and those whose political position is in line with the Taliban and other anti-American elements of the species. And as a general rule, American's do not and should not lend much credence to the feelings of those determined to destroy them. Nature's policy on such is that doing so, is extinction.

  6. #166
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 05:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Petraeus to Modify Afghanistan Rules of Engagement, Source Says

    Quote Originally Posted by PubliusInfinitu View Post
    That's very true. But those people will be the Taliban and those whose political position is in line with the Taliban and other anti-American elements of the species. And as a general rule, American's do not and should not lend much credence to the feelings of those determined to destroy them. Nature's policy on such is that doing so, is extinction.
    Civilian casualities will go up - people will complain.
    More questionable combat situations will arrise - people will complain.

    I'm referring to our citizens - not the Taliban . . . but you made a good point.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  7. #167
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    melbourne florida
    Last Seen
    05-25-18 @ 01:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,156

    Re: Petraeus to Modify Afghanistan Rules of Engagement, Source Says

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    And you have no evidence of this beyond your desire to believe.
    Read this was done to appease the afghans that is being politcally correct. It is politics.

  8. #168
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    melbourne florida
    Last Seen
    05-25-18 @ 01:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,156

    Re: Petraeus to Modify Afghanistan Rules of Engagement, Source Says

    Quote Originally Posted by Opteron View Post
    I'm not sure on this. But I think that as NATO commander he would be the one approving the ROE and he was the one who created them.
    So the countries whose soldiers have to follow this have no say?

  9. #169
    Educator
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    01-17-15 @ 01:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    629

    Re: Petraeus to Modify Afghanistan Rules of Engagement, Source Says

    Quote Originally Posted by PubliusInfinitu View Post
    Your argument is fallacious. It assumes that McCrystal is authorized to simply determine such legalities; and it is absurd. You're claiming that because McCrystal replaced his predecessor, on the premise that the replacement was due to the number of civilians being killed, that McCrystal himself constructed the modified ROEs... ROEs are determined by the COMMANDER IN CHIEF... That's a fundamental function of American governance. And one which CAN produce unlimited warfare, or the sort of mamby pamby, psycho-absurdities of trying to win the hearts and minds of the enemy.
    Uh, you're totally wrong on this point. The president is not a military expert, he is not able to create rules of engagement, he doesn't know about the military formalities of rules of engagement. Someone who does know about rules of engagement and is a professional in this area and would be able to create these rules is the ISAF commander, or General McChrystal. ROEs were not determined by the Commander in Chief in this case. In case you're still a doubter, I have evidence that will shut the case closed and I will post it in the next post. You have no piece of evidence saying that Obama created these ROEs, yet you somehow claim that they were created by him, and you're trying to tell me I'm wrong. While Obama may have chosen McChrystal because his strategy is aligned with what Obama wants, there's no evidence saying that Obama told him what ROE to create or even on specifics on how to run the mission.

    Quote Originally Posted by PubliusInfinitu View Post
    That's a fundamental function of American governance. And one which CAN produce unlimited warfare, or the sort of mamby pamby, psycho-absurdities of trying to win the hearts and minds of the enemy
    I hope you don't mind bashing General McChrystal when you talk of "mamby pamby, psycho-absudities of trying to win the hearts and minds of the enemy" because that is his strategy, and even that phrasing of "win the hearts and minds of the enemy" is his.
    Last edited by Opteron; 06-30-10 at 04:18 PM.

  10. #170
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    melbourne florida
    Last Seen
    05-25-18 @ 01:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,156

    Re: Petraeus to Modify Afghanistan Rules of Engagement, Source Says

    Quote Originally Posted by Opteron View Post
    Uh, you're totally wrong on this point. The president is not a military expert, he is not able to create rules of engagement, he doesn't know about the military formalities of rules of engagement. Someone who does know about rules of engagement and is a professional in this area and would be able to create these rules is the ISAF commander, or General McChrystal. ROEs were not determined by the Commander in Chief in this case. In case you're still a doubter, I have evidence that will shut the case closed and I will post it in the next post. You have no piece of evidence saying that Obama created these ROEs, yet you somehow claim that they were created by him, and you're trying to tell me I'm wrong. While Obama may have chosen McChrystal because his strategy is aligned with what Obama wants, there's no evidence saying that Obama told him what ROE to create or even on specifics on how to run the mission.


    I hope you don't mind bashing General McChrystal when you talk of "mamby pamby, psycho-absudities of trying to win the hearts and minds of the enemy" because that is his strategy, and even that phrasing of "win the hearts and minds of the enemy" is his.
    The commander in chief is still resposible for the conduct and rules of the military

Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •