Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 69

Thread: BP Is Burning Sea Turtles Alive, Gulf Captain Says

  1. #41
    Sage
    Gill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    The Derby City
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 10:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    8,686

    Re: BP Is Burning Sea Turtles Alive, Gulf Captain Says

    The entire claim of burning sea turtles in the oil burns sounds hoaky to me. What's to keep the sea turtles from simply swimming under the burns into clear water?

    • "The America Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." -- Alexis de Tocqueville





  2. #42
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,306

    Re: BP Is Burning Sea Turtles Alive, Gulf Captain Says

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    FOXNews.com - BP Is Burning Sea Turtles Alive, Gulf Captain Says



    BP: "If you don't see us killing them, it didn't happen."

    Seriously, WTF?
    Sounds like they're doing this on purpose to get back at Obama. I don't understand it, why spend all the extra time rounding up turtles in oil, and then setting them on fire?
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  3. #43
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: BP Is Burning Sea Turtles Alive, Gulf Captain Says

    I think some people are confused.

    BP is: Rounding up OIL and burning off the OIL.
    Animals are: getting rounded up WITH the OIL and being burned WITH the OIL.

    BP is not finding the animals *just* to kill them.
    The guy in the OParticle was saving the turtles from the burn-field before the field was set on fire . . . and now is not allowed to do so.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  4. #44
    Sage
    Gill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    The Derby City
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 10:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    8,686

    Re: BP Is Burning Sea Turtles Alive, Gulf Captain Says

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    I think some people are confused.

    BP is: Rounding up OIL and burning off the OIL.
    Animals are: getting rounded up WITH the OIL and being burned WITH the OIL.

    BP is not finding the animals *just* to kill them.
    The guy in the OParticle was saving the turtles from the burn-field before the field was set on fire . . . and now is not allowed to do so.
    But.... what's to keep the sea turtles from swimming under the berms and into the sea???

    • "The America Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." -- Alexis de Tocqueville





  5. #45
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: BP Is Burning Sea Turtles Alive, Gulf Captain Says

    Quote Originally Posted by Gill View Post
    But.... what's to keep the sea turtles from swimming under the berms and into the sea???
    It might be the nature of the berm itself - size, depth it goes to, etc. But I believe it's due to these other reasons:

    Turtles breath air - though they have an extremely high lung capacity and dive-depth like Penguins and Whales.

    In the water which is riddled with oil (oil isn't just on the surface) the oxygen content is dropping *in* the water itself which means (confirmed) oxygen level depletion.

    This means that air-breathing animals have to come to the surface more often to breath.

    Once on the surface they get thoroughly coated with oil.

    This might hinder their ability to swim (can swim as fast) and can't dive as deep (lack of use of flippers, etc)

    As well as oil and chemical toxicity - I imagine it's not safe and sound - they're likely suffering from effects of intoxication, not just oil-coated flippers and oxygen levels being depleted - but intoxication in their bloodstream due to content of the water/oil/chemical dispersants.

    Therefor the surface seems, to a turtle, to be the smartest idea - the thought of diving deep to possibly leave the area simply might be out of their capacity - especially if the oil surrounds them in a large area.

    Let's say a turtle is on the oily surface - realizes it's a bad place to be - and then dives to try to get away - comes up 40 feet away - in more oil. Then dives again - comes up in more oil.
    How far, how deep does an animal have to swim to get away from it? At what point will that animal become too exhausted/sick to continue?

    Birds that fly are also getting caught up in this tragedy - why can't they just fly away? Same thing - physical changes. Oil is thick, sticky and gooey - like a really thick syrup.

    Animals aren't exposed to enough oil-spills to adapt. They can avoid other various natural disasters (fire, earthquake, etc) to a more successful degree because they happen frequently enough to adapt to those conditions and respond in the best way to avoid tragedy. but oil-spills don't happen often enough for a species to adapt and then pass that adaptation down to the offspring - which is why oil spills are so tragic.
    Last edited by Aunt Spiker; 06-28-10 at 11:55 AM.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  6. #46
    Sage
    Gill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    The Derby City
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 10:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    8,686

    Re: BP Is Burning Sea Turtles Alive, Gulf Captain Says

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    It might be the nature of the berm itself - size, depth it goes to, etc. But I believe it's due to these other reasons:

    Turtles breath air - though they have an extremely high lung capacity and dive-depth like Penguins and Whales.

    In the water which is riddled with oil (oil isn't just on the surface) the oxygen content is dropping *in* the water itself which means (confirmed) oxygen level depletion.

    This means that air-breathing animals have to come to the surface more often to breath.

    Once on the surface they get thoroughly coated with oil.

    This might hinder their ability to swim (can swim as fast) and can't dive as deep (lack of use of flippers, etc)

    As well as oil and chemical toxicity - I imagine it's not safe and sound - they're likely suffering from effects of intoxication, not just oil-coated flippers and oxygen levels being depleted - but intoxication in their bloodstream due to content of the water/oil/chemical dispersants.

    Therefor the surface seems, to a turtle, to be the smartest idea - the thought of diving deep to possibly leave the area simply might be out of their capacity - especially if the oil surrounds them in a large area.
    You could be right, but the floating oil berms I've seen only go down in the water a couple of feet at most.

    • "The America Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." -- Alexis de Tocqueville





  7. #47
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: BP Is Burning Sea Turtles Alive, Gulf Captain Says

    Quote Originally Posted by Gill View Post
    But.... what's to keep the sea turtles from swimming under the berms and into the sea???
    Why doesn't Obama train the turtles to swim under the boom?!?!?!?!?!?
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  8. #48
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: BP Is Burning Sea Turtles Alive, Gulf Captain Says

    Quote Originally Posted by Gill View Post
    You could be right, but the floating oil berms I've seen only go down in the water a couple of feet at most.
    Well - the rest of my post concerns reason why they can't swim down, can't swim away.
    They're sick, they're not getting enough oxygen and they don't have the energy and knowledge to fight it and flee.

    They're on teh surface trying to breath and survive and long comes something big and drags them around - why do you think they have the concept of "this is only 2' deep in the water, I can swim away' ???

    They're animals

    That being said - there's no telling how many (or how few) have actually, successfully, gotten away - the numbers being killed might be small in comparison. . . sadly, several sea turtle species are endangered - there aren't many numbers to play around with.
    Last edited by Aunt Spiker; 06-28-10 at 11:59 AM.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  9. #49
    Goddess of Bacon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Last Seen
    05-28-12 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,988

    Re: BP Is Burning Sea Turtles Alive, Gulf Captain Says

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    It might be the nature of the berm itself - size, depth it goes to, etc. But I believe it's due to these other reasons:

    Turtles breath air - though they have an extremely high lung capacity and dive-depth like Penguins and Whales.

    In the water which is riddled with oil (oil isn't just on the surface) the oxygen content is dropping *in* the water itself which means (confirmed) oxygen level depletion.

    This means that air-breathing animals have to come to the surface more often to breath.

    Once on the surface they get thoroughly coated with oil.

    This might hinder their ability to swim (can swim as fast) and can't dive as deep (lack of use of flippers, etc)

    As well as oil and chemical toxicity - I imagine it's not safe and sound - they're likely suffering from effects of intoxication, not just oil-coated flippers and oxygen levels being depleted - but intoxication in their bloodstream due to content of the water/oil/chemical dispersants.

    Therefor the surface seems, to a turtle, to be the smartest idea - the thought of diving deep to possibly leave the area simply might be out of their capacity - especially if the oil surrounds them in a large area.

    Let's say a turtle is on the oily surface - realizes it's a bad place to be - and then dives to try to get away - comes up 40 feet away - in more oil. Then dives again - comes up in more oil.
    How far, how deep does an animal have to swim to get away from it? At what point will that animal become too exhausted/sick to continue?

    Birds that fly are also getting caught up in this tragedy - why can't they just fly away?

    Animals aren't exposed to enough oil-spills to adapt. They can avoid other various natural disasters (fire, earthquake, etc) to a more successful degree because they happen frequently enough to adapt to those conditions and respond in the best way to avoid tragedy. but oil-spills don't happen often enough for a species to adapt and then pass that adaptation down to the offspring - which is why oil spills are so tragic.
    I'm not belittling the tragedy, but air breathing animals such as turtles, whales, dolphins, etc, don't use the water for air consumption. So the decrease in O2 in the water would not affect their breathing. It wouldn't make them come to the surface any sooner since they get their air from the surface and rely upon that single breath the whole time they are down.

    However, the low oxygen levels cause other problems, such as killing anemones, sea stars, sea cucumbers, crabs, fish, etc.

  10. #50
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: BP Is Burning Sea Turtles Alive, Gulf Captain Says

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    Well - the rest of my post concerns reason why they can't swim down, can't swim away.
    They're sick, they're not getting enough oxygen and they don't have the energy and knowledge to fight it and flee.

    They're on teh surface trying to breath and survive and long comes something big and drags them around - why do you think they have the concept of "this is only 2' deep in the water, I can swim away' ???

    They're animals

    That being said - there's no telling how many (or how few) have actually, successfully, gotten away - the numbers being killed might be small in comparison. . . sadly, several sea turtle species are endangered - there aren't many numbers to play around with.
    Admit it... it's all the sea turtles' fault. They're just blaming BP because they hate America.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •