Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 32

Thread: Gillard becomes Australia's first female prime minister as tearful Rudd stands aside

  1. #11
    Educator
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Germany
    Last Seen
    09-15-10 @ 05:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,008

    Re: Gillard becomes Australia's first female prime minister as tearful Rudd stands as

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    Her gender isn't supposed to make a difference (at least that's what we've been told all our lives) but now it does.
    Slightly annoying.
    Gender has always made a difference to who got into the governments top positions. But, I can certainly agree that it shouldnt make a difference. It is unfortunate, that boosting more women into the top positions in all areas has to be done, just to even the balance and make women in these positions into something seen as normal, so gender wont matter some time in the future.

  2. #12
    Dungeon Master
    Veni, vidi, dormivi!

    spud_meister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Didjabringabeeralong
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    33,868
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Gillard becomes Australia's first female prime minister as tearful Rudd stands as

    Quote Originally Posted by Mell View Post
    Gender has always made a difference to who got into the governments top positions. But, I can certainly agree that it shouldnt make a difference. It is unfortunate, that boosting more women into the top positions in all areas has to be done, just to even the balance and make women in these positions into something seen as normal, so gender wont matter some time in the future.
    you look at the ratio of men to women in politics, or even interested in politics, it is by far a male dominated field, and that has nothing to do with sexism, and people with the intelligence, charisma and desire to lead a country are hard to come by, let alone picking out one in a minority in the first place, gender shouldn't matter in politics, and in the context of australian politics, the only people who seem to care about it are women and elderly men.
    Last edited by spud_meister; 06-25-10 at 05:30 AM.
    So follow me into the desert
    As desperate as you are
    Where the moon is glued to a picture of heaven
    And all the little pigs have God

  3. #13
    Educator
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Germany
    Last Seen
    09-15-10 @ 05:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,008

    Re: Gillard becomes Australia's first female prime minister as tearful Rudd stands as

    Quote Originally Posted by spud_meister View Post
    she was elected by her party, just not the population as a whole, so technically whe was elected
    I hope she does a good job. There is so much pressure on those women who are the first to make it into these positions, because they are so often seen as 'women leaders', 'women managers'... rather than individuals with a set of strong and weak aspects.

    I went to the bank in my area here in Germany last week, and saw a woman manager there. It was the first time I have ever seen one in that bank. Women notice these things. I dont know if women in these positions are starting to be seen as normal, or if companies are being shamed into being more gender fair because other organisations are making progress. Or maybe it is that women have more money to spend these days, because of increasing job opportunities, so companies want to be seen as women friendly. I dont think any women feels comfortable buying something from a company which puts on a blatant display of gender discrimination.

  4. #14
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Gillard becomes Australia's first female prime minister as tearful Rudd stands as

    Quote Originally Posted by Mell View Post
    Gender has always made a difference to who got into the governments top positions. But, I can certainly agree that it shouldnt make a difference. It is unfortunate, that boosting more women into the top positions in all areas has to be done, just to even the balance and make women in these positions into something seen as normal, so gender wont matter some time in the future.
    I think that women who want these jobs should go after them, no force or handicapping is necessary.
    With that I think people should be cautious to automatically assume that a woman in power is great because she could turn out to be a scum bag, just like a guy can be.

    I don't judge leaders based on their gender.
    I do however notice when women over compensate.
    They automatically think they are devalued because of their gender.
    It's really aggravating.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  5. #15
    Educator
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Germany
    Last Seen
    09-15-10 @ 05:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,008

    Re: Gillard becomes Australia's first female prime minister as tearful Rudd stands as

    Quote Originally Posted by spud_meister View Post
    you look at the ratio of men to women in politics, or even interested in politics, it is by far a male dominated field, and that has nothing to do with sexism, and people with the intelligence, charisma and desire to lead a country are hard to come by, let alone picking out one in a minority in the first place, gender shouldn't matter in politics, and in the context of australian politics, the onlt people who seem to care about it are women and elderly men.
    Discrimination always has its roots in greed. Since democracy was invented in ancient Greece, it has been critisised for excluding women. Even the ancient Greeks knew there was something wrong with this, but then there was the battle of good and evil, to contend with, as in all areas of politics, and being fair and reasonable does not count, when evil is winning.



    Surely, you can see that systems set up by men, with little to no consideration for the needs of women and children would be more intesting to men. If it wasnt for gender discrimination, political systems would be looking a lot different.



    This is the same as what I have heard from many, in relation to women and politics. It is sexism, but likely based on observation without balanced information to back it up, rather than being based on the real evil that caused the problem in the first place.



    ''...women and elderly men.''

    Only! But, that is an important statement anyway. One of the main problems where gender discrimination is concerned is that many men are insensitive to womens issues. As in, it takes a women to see the importance of certain issues most of the time, so it is is vital to womens rights, that women are adequately represented in power systems. Elderly men I suppose have 'interests' to 'protect', so want to maintain a status quo that they think is advantageous to them.

  6. #16
    Sage
    Infinite Chaos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Last Seen
    11-19-17 @ 06:45 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    14,858

    Re: Gillard becomes Australia's first female prime minister as tearful Rudd stands as

    Quote Originally Posted by spud_meister View Post
    nah, she's a lot further left than Obama, but so is most of Australian politics, it may not work for you yanks, but it works for us.
    I remember when the last POTUS election campaigns were underway - those on the right in the US were (and many still do) calling Obama a "socialist" (one of the more polite insults) whereas here he was described as being to the equivalent of on the right of Thatcher.

    Makes you wonder just how "right wing" the right wing in the US is.

    To many right wing Americans, we're "decaying old Europe" - but it's nice to see Australia and other nations (I'd include Canada and New Zealand) are closer to much of Europe in terms of the political compass.

    ***********EDIT**************

    Ooo! And Gillard was born in Barry, South Wales! I used to go to barry island as a kid. Crap sea and beach but great pleasure park.
    Last edited by Infinite Chaos; 06-25-10 at 05:50 AM.

  7. #17
    Educator
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Germany
    Last Seen
    09-15-10 @ 05:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,008

    Re: Gillard becomes Australia's first female prime minister as tearful Rudd stands as

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    With that I think people should be cautious to automatically assume that a woman in power is great because she could turn out to be a scum bag, just like a guy can be.

    I don't judge leaders based on their gender.
    I do however notice when women over compensate.
    They automatically think they are devalued because of their gender.
    It's really aggravating.
    Well yeah, women in top positions are trying to fit into something, which women do not readily understand or relate to. Those who manage it without over compensating or turning into scum bags are fantastic diplomats. Men would be experiencing this extra challange that women leaders go through, if the playing field had been tiled in womens favour, rather than mens favour. Things will change, but in order to gain respect and power, in the current system, women have to exhibit their masulculine side to gain respect, and many are failing to do this, as one would expect.

  8. #18
    Dungeon Master
    Veni, vidi, dormivi!

    spud_meister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Didjabringabeeralong
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    33,868
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Gillard becomes Australia's first female prime minister as tearful Rudd stands as

    she's also the first PM to live in a flat with her boyfriend.
    So follow me into the desert
    As desperate as you are
    Where the moon is glued to a picture of heaven
    And all the little pigs have God

  9. #19
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Gillard becomes Australia's first female prime minister as tearful Rudd stands as

    Quote Originally Posted by Infinite Chaos View Post
    I remember when the last POTUS election campaigns were underway - those on the right in the US were (and many still do) calling Obama a "socialist" (one of the more polite insults) whereas here he was described as being to the equivalent of on the right of Thatcher.

    Makes you wonder just how "right wing" the right wing in the US is.

    To many right wing Americans, we're "decaying old Europe" - but it's nice to see Australia and other nations (I'd include Canada and New Zealand) are closer to much of Europe in terms of the political compass.
    How did that happen?

    Briefly reading the history of the Thatcher government, she was a fiscal conservative were Barry O. is a fiscal liberal.
    Not only that but their social policy is different.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  10. #20
    Educator
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Germany
    Last Seen
    09-15-10 @ 05:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,008

    Re: Gillard becomes Australia's first female prime minister as tearful Rudd stands as

    Quote Originally Posted by spud_meister View Post
    she's also the first PM to live in a flat with her boyfriend.
    Woohoo!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •