Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 152

Thread: Obama vows to end homelessness in 10 years

  1. #51
    Sage
    mike2810's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    arizona
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,981

    Re: Obama vows to end homelessness in 10 years

    Quote Originally Posted by Kali View Post
    Yes.. It can be done if we made things fair and across the board for everyone. Create a living wage and everybody that wants a job has one. No more hiring illegals, etc. Healthcare for all.

    We can make this country where the only people who are homeless are those that wish to be or mentally ill. And we should make sure that we have NICE places for these people to be and if they do not wish to and really wish to live on the streets? We need to set up areas and camps for them or something.
    This begs the question of what is a "living wage"? What should it include (TV, internet, cell phone, 40K vehicle)? Should it be the same across the country? I know DC has a higher cost of living than where I live in Arizona.

    IMO, it won't and can't be done anytime soon. Not with the debt this country has rung up.
    "I can explain it to you but, I can't understand it for you"

  2. #52
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Obama vows to end homelessness in 10 years

    Goddamn - some people around here are just freaking ruthless.

    I support Obama on this, I feel that we should make a strong effort to better our ENTIRE country and all of our citizens - sadly - I don't think it's possible for us to AFFORD IT seeing as how we have a war going on, healthcare in the wings waiting to change/end/be mandatory for many, illegal immigration, and environmental upheaval, and massive, continual job-market loss and meltdown.

    I know Obama feels he can multitask - but he's gotta stop this crazed tailspin. He cannot actually DO everything, neither can we.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  3. #53
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,600

    Re: Obama vows to end homelessness in 10 years

    Quote Originally Posted by Kali View Post
    Yes.. It can be done if we made things fair and across the board for everyone. Create a living wage and everybody that wants a job has one. No more hiring illegals, etc. Healthcare for all.

    We can make this country where the only people who are homeless are those that wish to be or mentally ill. And we should make sure that we have NICE places for these people to be and if they do not wish to and really wish to live on the streets? We need to set up areas and camps for them or something.
    Koombayi my lord...koombayi...

    Yes...communal living, socialism, marxism...there are SO MANY positive examples of sustained communities that take care of everyone.

    Oh...wait...it doesnt work...never mind.

    there is this thing called 'human nature'. Some people are willing crippled dependent pets that LIKE to have others take care of them. Some people are simply pure D scumbags that will intentionally exploit others. Some people bust their ass and risk any and everything to provide for self and family. People will rise or fall to their own level of competence. NOTHING you can do about it. We can AND DO provide HAND UP opportunities. Hand OUT programs create crippled and pathetic dependent little pets that politicians exploit for generations. Sorry baby...but in MY book? thats repulsive. Expect people to STAND. Dont provide for them the arena to grovel.

  4. #54
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Last Seen
    09-20-10 @ 05:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    198

    Re: Obama vows to end homelessness in 10 years

    Idealistic nonsense. Not saying he shouldn't try, but some people honestly WANT to be homeless! I had a friend who this "crust punk" type, his parents were well to do, he had a normal life. Then one day, he decided he wanted to go to LA to party and get ****ed up all the time, so he stole some money and hopped on a train. A lot of homeless people are drug addicts who can't function in normal society, i'm sorry to say but it's true.

  5. #55
    Stigmatized! End R Word! Kali's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Last Seen
    08-19-12 @ 12:29 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    13,334
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Obama vows to end homelessness in 10 years

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Social engineering is very difficult, and we have not had a good track record in the past century at combating such problems with similar efforts as Obama wishes to do. It is not merely about doing the right thing, it is being able to in any meaningful way accomplish one's goals without too many severe unintended consequences. This is what I doubt, and why I would not support such an effort.
    The thing is that what is so hard about it? Create jobs, pay people living wages, give people free healthcare, flat tax and people that do not work are giving free training to learn job skills then they go to work. Homeless people? We have places for them and make sure they are fed. We can do this and it does not seem hard to me. I would rather my money be spent on worthy things like this than stupid crap out gov. spends it on.

    Also time to stop sending jobs anywhere. Keep jobs here and if you cannot do that? You are shut down as if you cannot pay people here to do jobs then you have no right to have an open biz in this country. Period.
    ~Following My Own Flow~

  6. #56
    Stigmatized! End R Word! Kali's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Last Seen
    08-19-12 @ 12:29 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    13,334
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Obama vows to end homelessness in 10 years

    Quote Originally Posted by mike2810 View Post
    This begs the question of what is a "living wage"? What should it include (TV, internet, cell phone, 40K vehicle)? Should it be the same across the country? I know DC has a higher cost of living than where I live in Arizona.

    IMO, it won't and can't be done anytime soon. Not with the debt this country has rung up.
    It should be based on where you live and the cost of living in the state that you reside.
    ~Following My Own Flow~

  7. #57
    Stigmatized! End R Word! Kali's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Last Seen
    08-19-12 @ 12:29 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    13,334
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Obama vows to end homelessness in 10 years

    Quote Originally Posted by somepeoplesay View Post
    Idealistic nonsense. Not saying he shouldn't try, but some people honestly WANT to be homeless! I had a friend who this "crust punk" type, his parents were well to do, he had a normal life. Then one day, he decided he wanted to go to LA to party and get ****ed up all the time, so he stole some money and hopped on a train. A lot of homeless people are drug addicts who can't function in normal society, i'm sorry to say but it's true.
    Agree-there are people that do wish to be homeless and that is their right. As been said a lot of times these people are mentally ill. No matter what we should have food, clothes, shelters and medical care for these people if they wish to get it.

    I just do not understand people getting mad about the leader of our country wanting to HELP people! That is what he should be doing and I expect no less from the POTUS!
    ~Following My Own Flow~

  8. #58
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    05-13-11 @ 09:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    4,075
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Obama vows to end homelessness in 10 years

    Quote Originally Posted by Kali View Post
    Agree-there are people that do wish to be homeless and that is their right. As been said a lot of times these people are mentally ill. No matter what we should have food, clothes, shelters and medical care for these people if they wish to get it.

    I just do not understand people getting mad about the leader of our country wanting to HELP people! That is what he should be doing and I expect no less from the POTUS!
    And if this is actually what he is doing then every American would applaud him.
    But when he increases the national debt by undisclosedd Billions and perhaps Trillions with no idea how to pay for the programs that he has already had passed, when he promises to cut unemployment from it's then high of 8.7%, when he apologises to people who are not fit to clean our shoes, I personally do not consider this to be helping those people who elected him as POTUS.

  9. #59
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Obama vows to end homelessness in 10 years

    Quote Originally Posted by Kali View Post
    Agree-there are people that do wish to be homeless and that is their right. As been said a lot of times these people are mentally ill. No matter what we should have food, clothes, shelters and medical care for these people if they wish to get it.

    I just do not understand people getting mad about the leader of our country wanting to HELP people! That is what he should be doing and I expect no less from the POTUS!
    I have to provide food, clothes, medical care, housing to my family and then after that I get to decide if I want to help a transient who chooses the homeless life.

    Screw it, maybe I should just start blowing all my money on wasteful ****, then cry foul when I'm broke.
    I bet I can get the government to cover my necessary living expenses.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  10. #60
    Stigmatized! End R Word! Kali's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Last Seen
    08-19-12 @ 12:29 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    13,334
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Obama vows to end homelessness in 10 years

    Quote Originally Posted by jujuman13 View Post
    And if this is actually what he is doing then every American would applaud him.
    But when he increases the national debt by undisclosedd Billions and perhaps Trillions with no idea how to pay for the programs that he has already had passed, when he promises to cut unemployment from it's then high of 8.7%, when he apologises to people who are not fit to clean our shoes, I personally do not consider this to be helping those people who elected him as POTUS.
    Do you think we can get all this done for free? I do not think so!
    ~Following My Own Flow~

Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •