This may seem a huge surprise for people outside of Texas, given the state's huge red streak, but before Democrats start crowing that Texas is turning purple, this is not so much about a Democrat giving the Republican incumbent a race to remember, but a referendum on one of the most dishonest governors Texas has ever had.According to a new poll released by Public Policy Polling, Democratic challenger Bill White is running neck and neck with incumbent Republican Gov. Rick Perry. They each have 43 percent of the expected vote.
This is notably different from a recent Rasmussen Reports poll that put Perry ahead of White 48 to 40.
So why is Perry such a good target for Democrats? It is because, while Texans are very Conservative, for the most part, they are not necessarily in lockstep with any particular party. Don't forget that Texas voted for Ann Richards before voting for George Bush.
Perry is in real danger, not because he is a Republican, but because he is not the Conservative he claims to be.
1) After receiving contributions from a pharmaceutical company, Perry issued an executive order that would have forced all schoolgirls in the state to be innoculated with a vaccine in which human testing had not yet been completed. Fortunately, that order was overridden by the state's Congress.
2) Perry issued an executive order that put a dollar tax on every pack of cigarettes sold in the state.
3) Perry pushed an unsuccessful plan to turn most of the freeways in Texas to tollways.
4) Perry is one of Texas' biggest advocates for the unpopular Trans-America corridor, which would run through the state.
5) Perry issued an executive order allowing Mexican trucks to operate in Texas without inspections. In Houston alone, there have been many horrific accidents, resulting in death, due to Mexican trucks with defective brakes and bald tires.
6) And, of course, Perry backed the plan to rewrite history books in the state, which promote Confederate personalities, and which euphemistically refer to the slave trade as the Atlantic Triangular trade.
Put it all together, and Perry is in huge trouble. White is still not that well known in some parts of Texas, but still has a huge advantage in favorability, with a 37% favorable rating and 25% unfavorable. As you can see, White has a lot of room to grow his favorability numbers here. On the other hand, just 27% of Texans give Perry good marks, while 55% of Texans saying he is doing a poor job.
My prediction here - Perry is toast. It's not because the Democrats have any answers to conditions in Texas, but because Perry acts more like a Communist than a Conservative. As for myself, I will be voting for a Democrat for the very first time in my entire 60 years of life.
Don't let the door hit you on the way out, Rick.
Article is here.