Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 79

Thread: Judge blocks Gulf offshore drilling moratorium

  1. #31
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Last Seen
    12-26-10 @ 06:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,083

    Re: Judge blocks Gulf offshore drilling moratorium

    Quote Originally Posted by Mason66 View Post
    Some people are just anti-business and no amount of rational thought will get to them.

    Of course a judge has to be bought off by big oil, it can't be the right thing to do to put more than 80,000 people back to work.

    Yo have to wonder how these type of people get through the day.
    Can the rhetoric. I am not anti-business. I'm in favor of sustainable business that doesn't destroy our land and water resources for future generations. I'm in favor of business that can see beyond the current quarterly gains and cares about the people. I'm in favor of business that isn't buying up my elected officials and erroding our democratic way of life.

  2. #32
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    08-14-12 @ 11:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,928

    Re: Judge blocks Gulf offshore drilling moratorium

    Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    Can the rhetoric. I am not anti-business. I'm in favor of sustainable business that doesn't destroy our land and water resources for future generations. I'm in favor of business that can see beyond the current quarterly gains and cares about the people. I'm in favor of business that isn't buying up my elected officials and erroding our democratic way of life.
    It is absurd that YOU tell HIM to can the rhetoric yet you're saying a federal judge was bought off without a single piece of evidence.

    You're a joke.

  3. #33
    User
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    USA, NC
    Last Seen
    07-27-10 @ 02:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3

    Re: Judge blocks Gulf offshore drilling moratorium

    Good to see that somebody is standing up to Barack Obama and his idiocracy requests. There is little danger in Oil Drilling unless the company doing the drilling has poor conditions and unsafe procedures, such as the one that failed.
    Young Republican

  4. #34
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Last Seen
    12-26-10 @ 06:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,083

    Re: Judge blocks Gulf offshore drilling moratorium

    Quote Originally Posted by dontworrybehappy View Post
    It is absurd that YOU tell HIM to can the rhetoric yet you're saying a federal judge was bought off without a single piece of evidence.

    You're a joke.
    Quote where I said that a "judge was bought".

  5. #35
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,935

    Re: Judge blocks Gulf offshore drilling moratorium

    I have been working BP Thunder Horse and Atlantis since 2001. I say this above all, BP tests, tests, and re-tests until you are begging them to accept the valve. They insist on a comprehensve safey set of rules that are a pain in the ass but break a safety rule and you are shown the door. Prior to BP I have worked on several contracts for Exxon Shell, Kerr McGee, Chevron etc. and BP was the first to come out and read the riot act to everyone on their safety DEMANDS. As far as the ruling, keep this and any body of thought out of issue they know nothing about. Second, why six months you jerk prez? Why not 3 months and two days? Why not 4 months and one week? Is it because your useless brain does not care about working Americans while you continue to extend unemployment benefits to bums too lazy to seek work? Why should they look for work when they can count on you for free cash forever? This was one "ACCIDENT"......ONE! I feel the response from the company and the Coast Guard should have been many times quicker but I don't know all the logistics so unlike may treehuggers I'll reserve jugement until all the facts are in. Thank you judge, now lets all get back to work and vote against this Muslim traitor's folllowers this coming November! Welcome to TeaParty.org
    It's nothing more than X's and O's.

  6. #36
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    08-14-12 @ 11:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,928

    Re: Judge blocks Gulf offshore drilling moratorium

    What I find hilarious is that the libs cry, "INSPECT INSPECT INSPECT!!" When we say, well we did reinspect them all and they're all in compliance and found to be safe, then they yell, "But that doesn't insure they're safe, that doesn't remove the human error or wrecklessness."

    No, and no amount of praying will remove the liberal mindset from the liberal.

    Sure thing Orion, from your post:

    Unless you have some evidence of a buy off of the judge, then your post is nothing but meaningless speculation. Post your evidence, or admit you have none.

    Oh please, open your damn eyes. That is how political process works these days.
    You say a judge is bought off and then try to crawfish out when evidence is demanded. Typical lib.
    Last edited by dontworrybehappy; 06-22-10 at 04:50 PM.

  7. #37
    Educator
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    02-04-15 @ 11:02 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    808

    Re: Judge blocks Gulf offshore drilling moratorium

    Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    Oh please, open your damn eyes. That is how political process works these days. Corporations know how to work all branches of government. If the executive branch isn't listening, they'll just go to the judicial branch or the legislative branch. People are naive if they think that any moratorium against the oil industry will hold. They have the money of entire nations at their disposal and know how to use it.
    So you have no evidence? That is what I figured.
    There is good reason. A full damage assessment of the BP spill would indicate what the true cost and risk are of off shore drilling and if it's worth it. If the coastline is going to be paying for the spill for the next 50+ years and local economy is going to be in the gutter, then I think that would justify a moratorium; or, in the least, a temporary ban until better disaster measures can be put into place.
    First of all, not all drilling was covered under the moratorium.. it was the deepwater rigs, which were all reinspected and passed all safetly measures... what is the problem with allowing a safe, working rig to drill?

    I don't care if those rigs pass inspection. All that means is that the technology is up to spec. It doesn't account for human error or recklessness. Who does the inspections? How secure are the inspections? For all we know people are being paid off.
    Umm, the Department of the Interior does the inspections... they are part of the Executive Branch of government..

    The last word we should be trusting is the word of oil companies. I want to see independent inspections and reviews from NGOs.
    The Executive Branch of the United States government is now incapable of conducting a reliable inspection?

  8. #38
    Educator
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    02-04-15 @ 11:02 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    808

    Re: Judge blocks Gulf offshore drilling moratorium

    Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    Quote where I said that a "judge was bought".
    In post #26 you state:
    I wonder what extras this judge got for his ruling.
    What else did you mean from this statement if not that the judge was effectively "bought off"?
    Last edited by NolaMan; 06-22-10 at 04:53 PM.

  9. #39
    Technomancer
    Hoplite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    05-08-11 @ 03:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    3,779

    Re: Judge blocks Gulf offshore drilling moratorium

    Quote Originally Posted by dontworrybehappy View Post
    What I find hilarious is that the libs cry, "INSPECT INSPECT INSPECT!!" When we say, well we did reinspect them all and they're all in compliance and found to be safe, then they yell, "But that doesn't insure they're safe, that doesn't remove the human error or wrecklessness."
    What, truthfully, would it hurt to reinspect?
    I'm Done

    See my last post

  10. #40
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Judge blocks Gulf offshore drilling moratorium

    Quote Originally Posted by Mason66 View Post
    But the administration is going to appeal the ruling and tie it up in courts for a long time while the people have no jobs.
    None of the stories have much information, but from what I gather, I believe it's a preliminary injunction, which means that the rigs are allowed to drill until and unless a higher court vacates the injunction.

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    I would like to ask a couple of questions here.

    1) These offshore drilling spots are known as leases. Does that mean BP owns them? No, it doesn't.

    2) Are the leases owned by the Federal government?

    3) If the leases are owned by the Federal government, then wouldn't telling the owner of the leases whether or not the leases are allowed to be drilled constitute acting against the interests of the owner of the property?

    4) Finally, isn't it Republicans who have made it a huge point that ordering the owner of a property to do something he doesn't want to do with it is anti American?

    I am so confused here.
    Again, I haven't seen the papers, but I would imagine that the argument is something along the lines that the gov. does not have enough evidence to make this decision, which renders the moratorium a taking of property without due process in violation of the agreements that were signed.

    edit: It looks like it also involves administrative law.


    Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    Oh please, open your damn eyes. That is how political process works these days. Corporations know how to work all branches of government. If the executive branch isn't listening, they'll just go to the judicial branch or the legislative branch. People are naive if they think that any moratorium against the oil industry will hold. They have the money of entire nations at their disposal and know how to use it.
    What makes you think that this judge was in any way influenced by the oil industry?

    Every day, judges around the country hand down decisions that cost or save corporations billions of dollars. Unless you think every one of those judges is on the take, I don't see why we should assume there is any undue influence here. I very much doubt that this is anything close to the biggest case that Feldman has heard in his 27 years on the bench.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •