Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 107

Thread: Missouri man's incendiary sign on U.S. 71 draws fire

  1. #61
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Missouri man's incendiary sign on U.S. 71 draws fire

    Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    Agree. Sometimes you don't need the best quality though.
    True.
    Megastore have advantages over the Mom & Pop. In purchasing for example, the Mega's have not only buying power but individuals trained for specific products.
    I've always found local shops to have a better understanding of their products. Perhaps this is because I tend to go to local specialty stores. I might have a wider array of Options in Chciago as well.

    May I suggest a book, Made in America by Sam Walton. Sam Walton -Made in America
    Thanks for the suggestion. I'll have to read that.

    Well, that is part of the equation, but I've had no problem with products bought there, often what I'd buy elsewhere for less. With families with kids I can understand it especially. they have kids to cloth and feed and the kids are growing. Clothes in, clothes out.
    Yeah, for families with kids you have a point. No kids yet, so my argumetn is flawed in that regard.

    Perhaps I've been spending too much time in Europe. Their customer service is non-existent, so when I head back home I'm always appreciative and notice a world of difference.
    Yeah, I gotta agree that we're a bit spoiled service-wise. In the rural areas of Ireland, I've always gotten phenomenal service. The only place I ever had terrible service in Ireland was in Dublin. But like most people used to the West coast of Ireland, I don't like Dublin. But it was pretty terrible.

    Generally, in rural areas both abroad and in the US, I've gotten better, more friendly service than I do in city megastores. I'm sure that being in a large city has definitely influenced my distaste for the megastores.

    Tucker... man... I've never seen you like this.
    I've got a vulgarity streak a mile wide. Sorry.

    I agree. I wouldn't put it on the businesses though.
    I agree that it shouldn't be put on the business. Business may exploit this mentality, but that's not wrong of them to do so. The only duty businesses have is to turn a profit.

    It's pure personal responsibility. Which is what I was getting at with my initial post. Unlike most people who bitch about corporations, I place blame on individuals not the coproations themselves. They are doing what they are designed to do.

    I don't patronize them because it is not in my best interest to patronize them, even though I'm very likely to save a few bucks if I did so.

    And government feeding it by forcing banks to make loans to people that shouldn't have been given loans.
    True, but the banks jumped on board without much of a fight.

    Spineless Republicans having not the sack to fight the media aligned largely against them. That's why Reagan was great. That's why the NJ Gov. seems great. Jan Brewer. Palin. Bachmann.
    I think a few of those names exploit the immediate gratification mentality in America, to be honest. Reagan'ss "Are you better off than you were four years ago" line is a prime example of this exploitation. some of Carter's actions were beneficial to the US economy (which is part of the reason why Reagan stuck with Volker as the Fed Chairman after taking office). Volker raised interest rates because he realized that immdediate gratification is not the best long-term approach.

    McCain had an easy target with Obama, but failed to hit him hard where he should have been hit hard.
    He let the cult grow.
    Both McCain and Obama were exploiters of the Immediate gratification mentality. But not because they didn't go after each other where it hurt. It was all the pandering that they did/do.

    No. To compete. It is difficult to compete with cheap labor when your government has piled on burdens.
    When unions have piled on burdens.
    The immediate gratification came from socking it to businesses by both government and unions. They failed to look beyond their own greedy noses.
    Now they cut it off.
    I didn't mean that the corpoations are guilty of having an immediate gratification mentality. I was talking about the consumers who are in no small part forcing them to outsource becuase they can't think past their $200 off on a big screen TV.

    Can't answer that one for ya, but Wal Mart emerged from Bentonville, AR servicing towns of 5,000 or less. They did it by providing for their customers what they wanted, by pressing the distributors, by staying lean and cutting fat.
    And my main problem is what the consumers want. Well to be more accurate, it's the conflicting nature of what they want. They want good jobs that pay well for unskilled labor, and they also want insanely cheap goods. But in most cases, these two things are mutually exclusive.

    I see it still pisses you off
    You know, you could make millions revealing the secret of how you accomplished it!
    It's as my girlfriend's pop said when his wife went into the store... ein tag ohne einkaufen ist ein verlorener tag... a day without shopping is a wasted day.
    : I didn't explain that well. It took 10 years and countless arguments to ge tto the point that she doesn't buy crap we don't need and tell me that she saved money because it was on sale.

    Now, she buys crap we don't need and admits she didn't save any money in the process.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  2. #62
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    07-01-10 @ 02:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    157

    Re: Missouri man's incendiary sign on U.S. 71 draws fire

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    According to wikipedia, "Dogma is the established belief or doctrine held by a religion, ideology or any kind of organization: it is authoritative and not to be disputed, doubted or from which diverged."
    I know what "dogma" means. That's how I was able to point out your misuse of the word as it applies to Smith's body of work.

    I'm not saying that Smith is entirely wrong about mere descriptions of how economies behave, but it seems that you and other conservatives use his concept of the invisible hand as a dogmatic principle that the free market will always sort everything out for the best, as if government regulation is just "getting in the way" of some free market utopia.
    It only "seems" that way because you're making numerous assumptions about me that have no basis in reality. I'm not a conservative and I don't consider Smith's invisible hand to be the only relevant or worthy economic concept. I do, however, consider it a very important principle that applies roughly uniformly throughout economic systems, a fact that has been confirmed by hundreds of years of observation. The mechanism is hardly perfect, but most systems achieve some sort of equilibrium through it. That's basic supply and demand.

    You can't just use Smith's incomplete and archaic theories to justify economic ignorance.
    Excuse me, but I am hardly ignorant of economics. The only one who seems to struggle with it is you, with your constant dismissal of the father of modern economics. No respectable economist would agree with your characterization of Smith's works as "archaic, irrelevant, or dogmatic". A great many of the principles he espoused still apply to today and are taught in every undergraduate economics class in the country.

    You ask me how much a car will cost if there is no outsourcing?
    The answer is "much more".

    But TANSTAAFL applies whether there is outsourcing or not.
    A hanging assertion with no explanation or clarification. This is becoming a pattern for you.

    Outsourcing overseas is not the panacea you seem to think it is.
    That's because I don't think it's a "panacea"; that's just you making more silly assumptions.

    I must insist that you stop misrepresenting my position. It's entirely dishonest and quite lame.

    Either we will pay a higher price for the car and have that money continue to circulate in our economy, or we pay a lower price and bleed that money into a rival economy. If it continues to circulate in our economy, we will have paid more for the car but the money will eventually come back to us like a rebate in the form of a more robust domestic economy with greater productivity and more opportunities locally. If we send the money to China then it's gone. Either way the same price is paid, the question is who profits from that purchase of a car? I say: let the American people profit. You say: Let multinational robber barons and foreign economies profit.
    American labor is overpriced and Americans have a bloated standard of living - a fact you'll have to accept if you want this country to remain competitive in the emerging global market. The invisible lines that constitute our border are not some mythical protection against global economic pressures. Undercutting the profit motive of companies that do business in the US is the best way to destroy jobs and stifle growth.

    If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck...
    Well, then it's safe for me to assume that you're a Marxist.

    What you're doing here, in psychological terms, is called "projection."
    Protectionism is a discredited economic ideology. The vast majority of economists do not support its implementation because it doesn't actually do what it's intended to do.

    Protectionism: The Concise Encyclopedia of Economics | Library of Economics and Liberty

    The only failed economic ideology I see is the de-regulatory Republican policies that got us into the mess we're in now.
    I hear this all the time but I've yet to hear a specific explanation of how "deregulation" lead to the financial crisis. Would you please explain what specific deregulatory policies lead to the collapse of the housing and financial sectors?

  3. #63
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Naperville, IL
    Last Seen
    09-24-12 @ 02:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    11,963

    Re: Missouri man's incendiary sign on U.S. 71 draws fire

    Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    I like this guy. My type of American.
    Ignorant and misinformed?


    Seems some Lakers fans were passing by the sign with gas and matches in the car.
    Why would Jack Nicholson be hanging out in some Missouri ****hole?

  4. #64
    Sage
    Guy Incognito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,216

    Re: Missouri man's incendiary sign on U.S. 71 draws fire

    Quote Originally Posted by alms View Post
    That's basic supply and demand.
    "Basic" supply and demand isn't the issue. It's much more complicated than that. Your short-sightedness is truly alarming, if for no other reason that you're dressing up ignorance and masquerading it around as good sense. You can either pay more for that car up front, but the premium you pay will go into your own economy and come back to help you in a multitude of ways, or you can pay less up front and wave good-bye to that money, as China and India have the good sense to enforce those economic protectionist policies you have so much contempt for. Those other countries don't care about your free market dogmas and they have the long-term good sense to keep the dollars we shell out to them. It's just like Tucker has been saying more eloquently than I am able, the only way for the USA to remain competitive in the long term is to sacrifice a little short term pseudo-savings to keep money circulating in the economy. In the end it's actually costing us less to pay more for that car up front.


    Quote Originally Posted by alms View Post
    Well, then it's safe for me to assume that you're a Marxist.
    Yeah right Somehow I'm betting you're the type of guy who calls Obama a Marxist too. Neither of us are. You should probably read a little more about Marxism before you go making these kind of accusations. But hey, it's like I always say, why let facts get in the way of a good rant?

    Spare me the libertarian balderdash, please.

    Quote Originally Posted by alms View Post
    I hear this all the time but I've yet to hear a specific explanation of how "deregulation" lead to the financial crisis. Would you please explain what specific deregulatory policies lead to the collapse of the housing and financial sectors?
    Maybe the reason you "hear it all the time" is because it's true. Even Alan Greenspan has abrogated his flawed ideology that deregulation helps the US economy. What you're saying about economic protectionism being a failed policy was sound dogma about five years ago, my friend, but everybody with eyes to see have given up on your foolishness. True believers in Adam Smith and Ayn Rand (read: koolaid drinkers ) will probably never give up, even when reality smacks them in the face, but people with sense give up on failed ideologies after they, you know, fail on such a massive scale.

  5. #65
    Educating the Ignorant
    zimmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:11 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    14,491
    Blog Entries
    12

    Re: Missouri man's incendiary sign on U.S. 71 draws fire

    Quote Originally Posted by hazlnut View Post
    Ignorant and misinformed?
    LOL... if that's what you want to call him... fine.
    The guy is OK with me.

    Why would Jack Nicholson be hanging out in some Missouri ****hole?
    The LAPD is searching for the individuals related to arson after the Lakers win.
    They have a vid and are asking help from the community to identify them. See the connect? Nudge, nudge, wink, wink?

    .
    The Clintons are what happens...
    when you have NO MORAL COMPASS.

  6. #66
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Naperville, IL
    Last Seen
    09-24-12 @ 02:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    11,963

    Re: Missouri man's incendiary sign on U.S. 71 draws fire

    Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    LOL... if that's what you want to call him... fine.
    The guy is OK with me.
    A far-rightie dragging the GOP backward and down...

    The LAPD is searching for the individuals related to arson after the Lakers win.
    They have a vid and are asking help from the community to identify them. See the connect? Nudge, nudge, wink, wink?

    .
    Don't follow pro Basketball, but I'm glad the L.A. team won... I guess.

    People who can afford $1000 seats don't have time to start fires. They work.

    The people who started the fires after the game were people who look for any excuse to start a fire. They are as ignorant as your friend in Missouri. IMO.

  7. #67
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Missouri man's incendiary sign on U.S. 71 draws fire

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    the only way for the USA to remain competitive in the long term is to sacrifice a little short term pseudo-savings to keep money circulating in the economy. In the end it's actually costing us less to pay more for that car up front.
    Yet the vast majority of economists say the exact opposite.

    Simply saying something is true doesn't make it so.

    What you're saying about economic protectionism being a failed policy was sound dogma about five years ago, my friend, but everybody with eyes to see have given up on your foolishness.
    Do you have a link to all these economists who are seeing the light and advocating for protectionism as a beneficial economic policy?
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  8. #68
    Sage
    Guy Incognito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,216

    Re: Missouri man's incendiary sign on U.S. 71 draws fire

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    Do you have a link to all these economists who are seeing the light and advocating for protectionism as a beneficial economic policy?
    Funny you should ask. That's just from doing a news search on "protectionism."

    I'm not advocating a return to Smoot Hawley, but we need to keep our money here in the USA. You can hurl epithets around as much as you like, but the handwriting is on the wall, it's time for this economy to stop hemorrhaging jobs.
    Last edited by Guy Incognito; 06-22-10 at 08:29 PM.

  9. #69
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Missouri man's incendiary sign on U.S. 71 draws fire

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    Funny you should ask. That's just from doing a news search on "protectionism."
    How is any of that a response to my question?

    I asked you for links to economists who were saying that they had changed their minds and decided that protectionism was a beneficial economic policy.

    You linked to:

    1) An article saying that many countries are failing to meet their pledges of avoiding protectionist policies in all their forms.

    2) An article saying that China is concerned about other nations practicing protectionism.

    3) An article accusing China of protectionism.

    4) An article about an Algerian Telecommunications Minister who said protectionism is okay in some forms.

    Not one of those has anything to do with what I asked you about.

    edit: Also, could you point out the "epithet" I used in my first post?
    Last edited by RightinNYC; 06-22-10 at 08:36 PM.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  10. #70
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Humble Texas
    Last Seen
    06-25-11 @ 05:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,827

    Re: Missouri man's incendiary sign on U.S. 71 draws fire

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    Funny you should ask. That's just from doing a news search on "protectionism."

    I'm not advocating a return to Smoot Hawley, but we need to keep our money here in the USA. You can hurl epithets around as much as you like, but the handwriting is on the wall, it's time for this economy to stop hemorrhaging jobs.
    Bows sir you are the bomb.

    1.) Protectionism is the cause in the European crises

    2.) http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/19/op...ctionism_trade

    3.) However I do think protectionism is the reason for this global resection
    Last edited by RyrineaHaruno; 06-22-10 at 08:41 PM.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •