Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 59

Thread: U.S. military criticized for purchase of Russian copters for Afghan air corps

  1. #1
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    05-13-11 @ 09:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    4,075
    Blog Entries
    3

    U.S. military criticized for purchase of Russian copters for Afghan air corps

    Link
    U.S. military criticized for purchase of Russian copters for Afghan air corps

    Quote(The U.S. government is snapping up Russian-made helicopters to form the core of Afghanistan's fledgling air force, a strategy that is drawing flak from members of Congress who want to force the Afghans to fly American choppers instead.

    In a turnabout from the Cold War, when the CIA gave Stinger missiles to Afghan rebels to shoot down Soviet helicopters, the Pentagon has spent $648 million to buy or refurbish 31 Russian Mi-17 transport helicopters for the Afghan National Army Air Corps. The Defense Department is seeking to buy 10 more of the Mi-17s next year, and had planned to buy dozens more over the next decade.)

    Guess Obami is simply following the communist path to greater glory!

  2. #2
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,767

    Re: U.S. military criticized for purchase of Russian copters for Afghan air corps

    If you want the best, top of the line military gear and are willing to pay out of the nose for it, you buy American.

    If you want the best bang for your buck, no pun intended, you buy Russian.

    You should familiarize yourself with Ockam's Razor.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  3. #3
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,356

    Re: U.S. military criticized for purchase of Russian copters for Afghan air corps

    I'm not having much of a problem with this for a few reasons.

    1) Why should we give away our aircraft technology to someone who may reveal that technology to an agressor?

    2) We probably got a better deal than just giving them American made aircraft.

    3) Now, the Afghans will have to buy their own spare parts from Russia vs. us having to give them an endless line of credit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  4. #4
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:56 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,294
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: U.S. military criticized for purchase of Russian copters for Afghan air corps

    Quote Originally Posted by jujuman13 View Post
    Link
    U.S. military criticized for purchase of Russian copters for Afghan air corps

    Quote(The U.S. government is snapping up Russian-made helicopters to form the core of Afghanistan's fledgling air force, a strategy that is drawing flak from members of Congress who want to force the Afghans to fly American choppers instead.

    In a turnabout from the Cold War, when the CIA gave Stinger missiles to Afghan rebels to shoot down Soviet helicopters, the Pentagon has spent $648 million to buy or refurbish 31 Russian Mi-17 transport helicopters for the Afghan National Army Air Corps. The Defense Department is seeking to buy 10 more of the Mi-17s next year, and had planned to buy dozens more over the next decade.)

    Guess Obami is simply following the communist path to greater glory!
    Obama is spending too much. Obama is spending too much. Why isn't Obama spending more. Why don't you make up your mind what you want, beyond complaining about Obama.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  5. #5
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: U.S. military criticized for purchase of Russian copters for Afghan air corps

    As I understand the issue, many of the Afghan pilots including the old timers are familiar with Russian helicopters. Furthermore, it's likely easier to get parts since the manufactures are relatively close. It seems pretty logical to buy weapons your crews are already used to and are likely cheaper to buy and maintain.

    But you know, I go on logic and facts. So what do I know?
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  6. #6
    Count Smackula
    rathi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    10-31-15 @ 10:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,890

    Re: U.S. military criticized for purchase of Russian copters for Afghan air corps

    Russian helicopters are simply a better value. Unless you need fancy electronics, blackhawks are just overpriced 70's tech.

  7. #7
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    05-13-11 @ 09:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    4,075
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: U.S. military criticized for purchase of Russian copters for Afghan air corps

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Obama is spending too much. Obama is spending too much. Why isn't Obama spending more. Why don't you make up your mind what you want, beyond complaining about Obama.
    Probably because Afghanistan could have been sold American manufactured helicoptors which would have put American Workers back to work in America.

    There was no reason to sell (gift) Afghanistan the latest most secret Helicioptors, or are the American helicoptors not up to the standard of these Russian ones, because I would bet my bottom dollar that the russians will not sell Afghanistan their latest top secret helicoptor either.

  8. #8
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:56 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,294
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: U.S. military criticized for purchase of Russian copters for Afghan air corps

    Credit where it is due. Both the left and right come together to point out the flaws with this rant thread.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  9. #9
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:56 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,294
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: U.S. military criticized for purchase of Russian copters for Afghan air corps

    Quote Originally Posted by jujuman13 View Post
    Probably because Afghanistan could have been sold American manufactured helicoptors which would have put American Workers back to work in America.

    There was no reason to sell (gift) Afghanistan the latest most secret Helicioptors, or are the American helicoptors not up to the standard of these Russian ones, because I would bet my bottom dollar that the russians will not sell Afghanistan their latest top secret helicoptor either.
    If he would have given them American made helicopters, you would have complained about him spending on the more expensive ones.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  10. #10
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: U.S. military criticized for purchase of Russian copters for Afghan air corps

    Quote Originally Posted by jujuman13 View Post
    Probably because Afghanistan could have been sold American manufactured helicoptors which would have put American Workers back to work in America.
    Such as....Hueys? Besides, it is cheaper to buy the Russian copters, ship them from Russia, train crews on interfaces they already are familiar with and get cheaper parts...all of which saves tax dollars.

    There was no reason to sell (gift) Afghanistan the latest most secret Helicioptors, or are the American helicoptors not up to the standard of these Russian ones, because I would bet my bottom dollar that the russians will not sell Afghanistan their latest top secret helicoptor either.
    We're not selling them Comanches. Well, we can't now. lol.

    And the comparable equivilent to the Mi-17 is the Blackhawk. Apparently you can also get three, count 'em 3 Mi-17s for the price of a single blackhawk.

    If we are trying to get out of Aghanistan, how is delaying training going to help that?
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •