Page 58 of 61 FirstFirst ... 8485657585960 ... LastLast
Results 571 to 580 of 609

Thread: After Final Arguments in Prop. 8 Trial, Maggie Gallagher Expects Judge will Overturn

  1. #571
    Professor
    Groucho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Pocono Mountains, PA
    Last Seen
    05-24-11 @ 03:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,363

    Re: After Final Arguments in Prop. 8 Trial, Maggie Gallagher Expects Judge will Overt

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Anyway, the contract regards couples raising children
    What? It DOES? I don't remember anything about that when my wife and I got married 27 years ago and had already decided not to have children. You mean we have been violating the law all these years?!!! Damn, I'm glad the Bar Association didn't find out! They could remove my law license! I never knew that being married meant we HAD to have children!

    Oh, wait -- I remember now! That argument is nothing but bull**** made up by religious bigots! Silly me. And I was getting all worked up over nothing.

  2. #572
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:37 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,290
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: After Final Arguments in Prop. 8 Trial, Maggie Gallagher Expects Judge will Overt

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Reported
    Moderator's Warning:
    After Final Arguments in Prop. 8 Trial, Maggie Gallagher Expects Judge will OverturnIf you have a problem with a post, just use the report post function, don't advertise it
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  3. #573
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: After Final Arguments in Prop. 8 Trial, Maggie Gallagher Expects Judge will Overt

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Anyway, the contract regards couples raising children, and does not apply to couples not performing the contracts intended purpose any more than a general contractor's license applies to practicing law.
    Sorry, but nowhere on the marriage license or marriage certificate does it mention anything about having to raise children. It may be your opinion that the purpose of marriage is for raising children, but it definitely is not fact and it is not law.

  4. #574
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: After Final Arguments in Prop. 8 Trial, Maggie Gallagher Expects Judge will Overt

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    That is not true. Nowhere in any state's laws does it say that the state endorses marriages for raising children. It is your own contention that marriage is for raising children, not any state's contention. This is especially true in those five states that specifically state that certain couples cannot get married unless they can't have their own children.

    The states' interest in marriage is more likely (from the evidence of who can get married and the lack of needing an explanation of why they are getting married) to protect the people involved in the marriage and to encourage marriage, regardless of whether or not the couple is planning on being parents or not.
    Oh that's right, I just made up what every culture has used marriage for. It was all me.

    It's a little thing called "cultural universal". Everyone has language and uses it for the same thing. Everyone produces music on the same topics and for the same resons. Funerals are about marking the end of life. Everyone has some kind of philosophical outlook. Marriage is about the raising and socializing of children.

    But yeah, sure, I just made this up. It couldn't possibly be that there's a lil piece of science out there which supports my view. It must be imaginary
    Last edited by Jerry; 07-06-10 at 08:53 PM.

  5. #575
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: After Final Arguments in Prop. 8 Trial, Maggie Gallagher Expects Judge will Overt

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Oh that's right, I just made up what every culture has used marriage for. It was all me.

    It's a little thing called "cultural universal". Everyone has language and uses it for the same thing. Everyone produces music on the same topics and for the same resons. Funerals are about marking the end of life. Everyone has some kind of philosophical outlook. Marriage is about the raising and socializing of children.

    But yeah, sure, I just made this up. It couldn't possibly be that there's a lil piece of science out there which supports my view. It must be imaginary
    Which peice of science is that?

  6. #576
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: After Final Arguments in Prop. 8 Trial, Maggie Gallagher Expects Judge will Overt

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    Which peice of science is that?
    The one I just spelled out for you, duh You even just quoted it.

  7. #577
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: After Final Arguments in Prop. 8 Trial, Maggie Gallagher Expects Judge will Overt

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    The one I just spelled out for you, duh You even just quoted it.
    Uhhhm that is not science and as far as can tell through out history marriage has been pretty much about property rights.

  8. #578
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: After Final Arguments in Prop. 8 Trial, Maggie Gallagher Expects Judge will Overt

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    Uhhhm that is not science and as far as can tell through out history marriage has been pretty much about property rights.
    You don't consider Sociology to be a science? Wow.

    News for ya, but the lil piece of Sociology called "cultural universal": I didn't make that one up.
    Last edited by Jerry; 07-06-10 at 09:06 PM.

  9. #579
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: After Final Arguments in Prop. 8 Trial, Maggie Gallagher Expects Judge will Overt

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Oh that's right, I just made up what every culture has used marriage for. It was all me.

    It's a little thing called "cultural universal". Everyone has language and uses it for the same thing. Everyone produces music on the same topics and for the same resons. Funerals are about marking the end of life. Everyone has some kind of philosophical outlook. Marriage is about the raising and socializing of children.

    But yeah, sure, I just made this up. It couldn't possibly be that there's a lil piece of science out there which supports my view. It must be imaginary
    The problem with your argument is that you are trying to contend that raising children is the only/most important purpose of marriage according to state law, any US state law. This is not true. You may not be the only person to believe that raising children is an important part of marriage, but it is not the legal reason for marriage. The legal reason for marriage is what is important in this argument. What you and even many others may want to be the reason for marriage is not as important as what the government's actual legal reason for marriage is. The government allows marriages between opposite sex couples who can't have their own children, who don't plan on raising children, and/or who just never do raise children during their marriage. If you want to convince someone that this should change, fine. But the support for raising children to be a stipulation of marriage is not going to be as high as you may believe. As I said earlier, there are a lot of people who are completely against same sex marriage for whatever reason, but who would not give up their own rights to marriage if they could not have/raise children with the person they wished to be married to. And there is still the question of where the line is drawn in marriages and how and when do you legally dissolve a marriage in which the couple is not raising children? What happens when all of their children have been raised? Is the couple's marriage automatically dissolved once their last child turns 18? What if the child is mentally disabled? Is that the only case where a couple gets to remain together into their golden years?
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  10. #580
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: After Final Arguments in Prop. 8 Trial, Maggie Gallagher Expects Judge will Overt

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    The problem with your argument is that you are trying to contend that raising children is the only/most important purpose of marriage according to state law, any US state law.
    Uh, no, try again. My argument is not 'legal rational' in that I'm arguing from the law. I argue the traditional authority angle, stating that "marriage" is about what it has always been about.

    Now quick, accuse me of being against gay marriage even though that's not true either. Quick quick I'm getting away
    Last edited by Jerry; 07-06-10 at 09:16 PM.

Page 58 of 61 FirstFirst ... 8485657585960 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •