Page 39 of 61 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast
Results 381 to 390 of 609

Thread: After Final Arguments in Prop. 8 Trial, Maggie Gallagher Expects Judge will Overturn

  1. #381
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,604

    Re: After Final Arguments in Prop. 8 Trial, Maggie Gallagher Expects Judge will Overt

    Quote Originally Posted by StevenA59 View Post
    That's wrong. HE claims "normal is a value judgement" which is supposed to prove somehow that gay marriage is okay?
    This is consistent with what you have done throughout this debate. Either misreprsent a position or make a position with no evidence. I never said that it "proved" gay marraige is OK. All it did was provem that your position is valueless. A rather simple task at that.

    Wow, the lack of critical thinking here is stunning. You see, you can't prove a point by claiming everyone else is wrong.
    You should read what you just wrote, because that's all you've been doing. No evidence, nothing. Just "I don't like it, so I don't want it".

    Yes I admit I misread the statistics. But even if the number is one in ten (as in this study) it is hardly a ringing endorsement for gay marriage or homosexual lifestyle.
    Actually, all it does is demonstrate the importance of education and the use of condoms. Nothing else.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  2. #382
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,604

    Re: After Final Arguments in Prop. 8 Trial, Maggie Gallagher Expects Judge will Overt

    Quote Originally Posted by StevenA59 View Post
    Then there's the claim that gay marriages would lead to a more monogamous lifestyle, while simultaneously pointing to the fact that straights have a 50% divorce rate. Is someone suggesting that gays are more monogamous than straights? I'd like to see the evidence of that lol. This is a "kitchen sink" style of debate that entails throwing tons of senseless crap and hoping something sticks. I'll be looking for another forum where people can demonstrate a tad bit of critical thinking. Laters.
    So, to translate, your position has been shown to be fallacious and you are aware that you have no evidence to support anything you say, so, instead of showing integrity and admitting that you've got nothing, you will run away, holding onto your unproven position. Got it.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  3. #383
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: After Final Arguments in Prop. 8 Trial, Maggie Gallagher Expects Judge will Overt

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    Incorrect. A child can consent to sex. They can allow someone to have sex with them even though they aren't as mature. Many kids experience masturbation at young ages like 8 or 9. they can be attracted to the opposite sex and consent to sex. Animals can consent as well. They consent with each other, and who are you to judge what is the in the mind of an animal? My sisters female dog likes to hump people at times, so clearly she wants sex. My argument was for illustrative purposes to show you that anyone can claim that something is a "right."
    No, a child cannot legally consent. I'm sorry, but you are simply wrong and are using faulty logic. Same with a dog. Sad that anyone would use this silly tractic.

    That is only your opinion that it is an individual right. It is my opinion that it is not a right. The conflict was resolved by popular election to define marriage. When it's just my opinion against yours a vote is one logical conclusion when it comes to enacting policy and making legal definitions.
    All arguments have some degree of opinion, but would you allow me to pick your mate? If you can define it for everyone, what prevents us from defining it for you and demanding that you marry something not your choice, but what we deem better, and more suitable to our view of marriage? No, who we mate with, choose to live our lives with is personal and not up to the public to vote on.

    Call it garbage, but it's truth. Homosexuals have absolutely the same rights that I have that are considered rights. Definition means everything with this debate, because Proposition 8 was about legally defining marriage. People can define marriage for themselves. A gay couple can call themselves married and have a ceremony, but their marriage is not legally recognized as marriage.
    No, it is nothing but bull**** and I have explained why. There are Christian chuches willing to recognize their marriage, but you seem to think you can tell them how to practice their faith. And yet, I still say you would not accept this the other way around. Would you? Can I demand that you have to marry someone of the same sex, if you want to marry, for no other reason than I say so?

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  4. #384
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Naperville, IL
    Last Seen
    09-24-12 @ 02:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    11,963

    Re: After Final Arguments in Prop. 8 Trial, Maggie Gallagher Expects Judge will Overt

    Quote Originally Posted by StevenA59 View Post
    Then there's the claim that gay marriages would lead to a more monogamous lifestyle, while simultaneously pointing to the fact that straights have a 50% divorce rate. Is someone suggesting that gays are more monogamous than straights? I'd like to see the evidence of that lol. This is a "kitchen sink" style of debate that entails throwing tons of senseless crap and hoping something sticks. I'll be looking for another forum where people can demonstrate a tad bit of critical thinking. Laters.
    Yes.

    Because their understanding of love and commitment has been tested and formed by years of having to endure intolerance and ignorance. Which also makes them better parents.

    I think that's what freaks homophobes out -- that gays are actually better at raising kids.

    Homophobes who get in trouble with their local DCFS are going to find themselves in Parenting Classes being taught by gays.... Gays are going to be teaching them how to be better parents.

    And if they walk out of the class, the judge will leave the homophobe's kids in foster care...

  5. #385
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: After Final Arguments in Prop. 8 Trial, Maggie Gallagher Expects Judge will Overt

    Quote Originally Posted by hazlnut View Post
    Yes.

    Because their understanding of love and commitment has been tested and formed by years of having to endure intolerance and ignorance. Which also makes them better parents.

    I think that's what freaks homophobes out -- that gays are actually better at raising kids.

    Homophobes who get in trouble with their local DCFS are going to find themselves in Parenting Classes being taught by gays.... Gays are going to be teaching them how to be better parents.

    And if they walk out of the class, the judge will leave the homophobe's kids in foster care...
    There's no evidence that homos are better parents than heteros.

  6. #386
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Naperville, IL
    Last Seen
    09-24-12 @ 02:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    11,963

    Re: After Final Arguments in Prop. 8 Trial, Maggie Gallagher Expects Judge will Overt

    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    There's no evidence that homos are better parents than heteros.
    I was just speculating as to why homophobes drag these threads out for so long... Fear.

  7. #387
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    06-29-10 @ 11:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,801

    Re: After Final Arguments in Prop. 8 Trial, Maggie Gallagher Expects Judge will Overt

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    Incorrect. A child can consent to sex. They can allow someone to have sex with them even though they aren't as mature. Many kids experience masturbation at young ages like 8 or 9. they can be attracted to the opposite sex and consent to sex. Animals can consent as well. They consent with each other, and who are you to judge what is the in the mind of an animal? My sisters female dog likes to hump people at times, so clearly she wants sex. My argument was for illustrative purposes to show you that anyone can claim that something is a "right."
    Then go ahead and campaign for the "rights" of kids and animals to legally have sex with adults. I'll have to say no on that one. As far as "discrimination" goes, suck it up. We can legalize same sex marriage, and choose to discriminate against underage/animal marriage "rights", and there's nothing you can do about it. Life's not fair. Best advice is to seek professional help if you think you can't be happy without having sex with a dog or a kid.

  8. #388
    Professor

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Last Seen
    11-21-14 @ 03:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    2,120

    Re: After Final Arguments in Prop. 8 Trial, Maggie Gallagher Expects Judge will Overt

    Quote Originally Posted by texmaster View Post
    Thats an amusing take considering you were one of the ones arguing genetics so heavily.

    Name these arguments of yours. We are talking about changing law.

    Name the logical and legitimate arguments that justify acceptance of homosexual marriage.

    BTW, if you go back to "civil rights" as an argument you are back to the genetic argument.
    Actually, this is the opposite: according to the SCOTUS in Romer v. Evans, a constitutional amendment must reflect a rational relationship to the state's interests. In other words, a state law or constitution can discriminate only if it is clearly in the state's interest. With Prop. 8, we have an interesting conundrum because we already have 18,000 couples married and affirmed by the state, while other couples who weren't fast enough or who moved to the state at a later date are refused the right that was granted in the short term. So, the state's interest part is even stronger here (in my opinion).

    No one - especially the attorney trying to defend Prop. 8 has any logical explanation as to how gay marriage harms the state and therefore justifies discrimination. No one. I've not seen a single argument of how it would harm anyone. I know we keep asking and if you're against gay marriage, it's probably annoying, but I've seen no harm demonstrated.

    Do heterosexuals in Massachusetts and Iowa have fewer rights that those in Tennessee and Texas? I can't find the proof of that. If you can, please report it to me and I might believe you.

  9. #389
    Baby Eating Monster
    Korimyr the Rat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Laramie, WY
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 02:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    18,709
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: After Final Arguments in Prop. 8 Trial, Maggie Gallagher Expects Judge will Overt

    Quote Originally Posted by FilmFestGuy View Post
    Actually, this is the opposite: according to the SCOTUS in Romer v. Evans, a constitutional amendment must reflect a rational relationship to the state's interests. In other words, a state law or constitution can discriminate only if it is clearly in the state's interest.
    Upholding the moral values of the citizens is within the State's interests. In order to overturn Prop 8, the lawyers have to demonstrate that allowing same sex marriage is consistent with those moral values.

  10. #390
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,709

    Re: After Final Arguments in Prop. 8 Trial, Maggie Gallagher Expects Judge will Overt

    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    There's no evidence that homos are better parents than heteros.
    The evidence shows that they are exactly as good as heterosexual couples. Almost like those homosexuals are human beings who have the same abilities as the rest of us! Amazing!
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

Page 39 of 61 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •