Page 22 of 61 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast
Results 211 to 220 of 609

Thread: After Final Arguments in Prop. 8 Trial, Maggie Gallagher Expects Judge will Overturn

  1. #211
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:38 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,284
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: After Final Arguments in Prop. 8 Trial, Maggie Gallagher Expects Judge will Overt

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    He may just be a click bias since he would like to get married himself DUH
    Would a strait judge not be equally as likely to be biased? If orientation makes for an unfair ruling, how do we have any judge?
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  2. #212
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,953

    Re: After Final Arguments in Prop. 8 Trial, Maggie Gallagher Expects Judge will Overt

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    in other words nothing that really matters. its like people who used to argue that hunting on sunday should be banned. not being religious appeals to "the sabbath" mean nothing to me.

    I am just one of those people who don't think stuff ought to be banned unless someone can meet a high burden of proof and establish that a ban really does help society

    so far i see nothing
    It may mean nothing to you, but to millions what the Bible says is important for what they believe and how they live their lives. Other's would rather hold to the traditional definition of marriage. Both are valid reasons for not supporting gay marriage. Personally, I am fine with allow gays to have some form of legal union, just as long as it isn't equal to marriage or called a marriage. I have no problem with their partners visiting them in the hospital and receiving their benefits or whatever if one of them dies. I am not ok with the state recognizing a homosexual union as something equal to a man and wife union. Marriage has been between a man and his wife. To change that to include a wife and a wife or a husband and a husband would be to socially and fundamentally change and alter what marriage really is and what it has been for thousands of years.
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. -Socrates
    Tired of elections being between the lesser of two evils.

  3. #213
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,606

    Re: After Final Arguments in Prop. 8 Trial, Maggie Gallagher Expects Judge will Overt

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    It may mean nothing to you, but to millions what the Bible says is important for what they believe and how they live their lives. Other's would rather hold to the traditional definition of marriage. Both are valid reasons for not supporting gay marriage. Personally, I am fine with allow gays to have some form of legal union, just as long as it isn't equal to marriage or called a marriage. I have no problem with their partners visiting them in the hospital and receiving their benefits or whatever if one of them dies. I am not ok with the state recognizing a homosexual union as something equal to a man and wife union. Marriage has been between a man and his wife. To change that to include a wife and a wife or a husband and a husband would be to socially and fundamentally change and alter what marriage really is and what it has been for thousands of years.
    I see your point but can you tell me how you are objectively affected or harmed by letting Bill and Dave get married or for Suzie to call Darlene her wife?



  4. #214
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,953

    Re: After Final Arguments in Prop. 8 Trial, Maggie Gallagher Expects Judge will Overt

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    I see your point but can you tell me how you are objectively affected or harmed by letting Bill and Dave get married or for Suzie to call Darlene her wife?
    It affects my society and it means that the state I live and vote in recognizes that Bill and Dave are married and have an equal status as me and my future wife. Their union may not directly affect me just like my neighbors being gay doesn't affect me, but it does affect my state and society if the state chose to recognize and give marital rights to a unions that I don't believe is a marriage.
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. -Socrates
    Tired of elections being between the lesser of two evils.

  5. #215
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: After Final Arguments in Prop. 8 Trial, Maggie Gallagher Expects Judge will Overt

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    It affects my society and it means that the state I live and vote in recognizes that Bill and Dave are married and have an equal status as me and my future wife. Their union may not directly affect me just like my neighbors being gay doesn't affect me, but it does affect my state and society if the state chose to recognize and give marital rights to a unions that I don't believe is a marriage.
    I don't see how. Please explain.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  6. #216
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,953

    Re: After Final Arguments in Prop. 8 Trial, Maggie Gallagher Expects Judge will Overt

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    I don't see how. Please explain.
    Again, it affects my society and the state that I live in. As a voting resident of my state, it affects me if the government I elect choses to extend marital rights and a marital status to a homosexual union. It would essentially be the government doing the opposite of what I believe, and as a voter I have the right to make my voice and opinion heard. How does it affect you if homosexual unions aren't recognized as marriages?
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. -Socrates
    Tired of elections being between the lesser of two evils.

  7. #217
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: After Final Arguments in Prop. 8 Trial, Maggie Gallagher Expects Judge will Overt

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    Again, it affects my society and the state that I live in. As a voting resident of my state, it affects me if the government I elect choses to extend marital rights and a marital status to a homosexual union. It would essentially be the government doing the opposite of what I believe, and as a voter I have the right to make my voice and opinion heard. How does it affect you if homosexual unions aren't recognized as marriages?
    That's not an explination. You're talking in circles, it does because it does because it does. I want to know HOW it effects you? What is your real life tangiable effect to you and your marriage?

    ONce you answer me, I'll gladly answer you.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  8. #218
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: After Final Arguments in Prop. 8 Trial, Maggie Gallagher Expects Judge will Overt

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    She won't matter at all. a liberal replacing a liberal will be a wash...............
    No, but as was stated before, Kennedy seems to be more likely to go with the side of gay marriage, especially with the arguments coming from the anti-gm side being so weak. The biggest argument the side has is that the voters voted for it. The arguments against that vote are good however, so it would come down to a decision of whether it is more important to allow voters to vote for anything they see might harm some of them without actual proof or that another group of people be allowed the same privileges because it is an equal treatment under the law issue, but against the voters wishes.

    Deciding that voters can vote to limit who can be involved and/or receive privileges from the government, without any proof that the group being excluded would cause some harm, leads to a slippery slope itself. Anti-gay marriage side likes to argue that allowing gay marriage will lead to other less legal couples wanting their chance at marriage. Yet, few realize the possibility that if voters are allowed to define marriage as between a man and a woman, what then would keep them from being able to define it as between a man and a woman of the same religion or that are only religious? What keeps them from defining marriage as only legal between a man and a woman who can procreate? I can think of at least one state where making a rule that only people of the same religion can marry might not be hard to get passed for that state. Even a fight to ensure that all marriages were between religious or procreating people might not be too hard in some states.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  9. #219
    Sage
    soccerboy22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    A warm place
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 10:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    10,723

    Re: After Final Arguments in Prop. 8 Trial, Maggie Gallagher Expects Judge will Overt

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    How does it affect you if homosexual unions aren't recognized as marriages?
    It affects me because there are people that cannot have the same rights as me. If a gay couple wants to get married it is their right to do so.

  10. #220
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: After Final Arguments in Prop. 8 Trial, Maggie Gallagher Expects Judge will Overt

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    That's not an explination. You're talking in circles, it does because it does because it does. I want to know HOW it effects you? What is your real life tangiable effect to you and your marriage?

    ONce you answer me, I'll gladly answer you.
    I'll ask an even better one. What is the real life affect to society? To that state? What exactly will be negative about allowing gays to marry? Provide proof.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

Page 22 of 61 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •